User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 19:10
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > transcoding dlna server issues
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Transcoding DLNA server issues
  Jump to:

Posted Message
oberonprime
_
27. November 2013 @ 02:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello All,

First time poster here.

Figured with the amount of relevant information I've gained from this site over the years that here is as good a place as any to ask for help.

I've recently eliminated my Cable TV service and have transitioned to using Bittorrent to obtain new episodes of all of my favourite shows.

The issue is that most if not all new episodes in 720p are distributed in a mkv container, and this format is not compatible with streaming to my Xbox 360.

Now when it was just a couple of shows that I didn't get the station for I used a brilliant little application to repackage the video and audio streasm in the mkv into an mp4.

Now with many more programs being downloaded every day doing this manually is inconvenient.

It was recommended that I use the free version of a program called Serviio to transcode the mkv files on the fly while I was watching.

I liked that program just fine at first. But as time passed I became increasingly more frustrated with the fact that it did not allow me to rewind if I missed something or see how much time was left on a show or movie.

Research online identified several other programs that supposedly corrected this issue.

First I tried Plex but it didn't allow me to resume something that was partially watched from where I left off and it randomly would kick me out of what I was watching so I uninstalled it even though it came close by allowing fast forwarding and rewinding as well as showing the full run time and progress.

Second I tried Mezzo and it allowed Fast forwarding but no rewinding. But it showed no progress and a total runtime of 435 hours. Additionally it also did not allow resuming which Serviio was able to accomplish for all it didn't allow.

Finally I tried UMS and the same issues with Mezzo were evident. Fast Forwarding but no Rewinding. A total runtime of 435 hours and no ability to see progress. And no standard Resume (though it would create a second file in the list for resuming.

What I really need to know is if their is a transcoding DLNA server for Windows that allows proper rewinding within the video as well as reliable and straightforward resume of partially watched files. I'd like something that is free but any that offers a trial would be good as well.

I really do hope that somebody can help me by pointing me to the correct software.

-
oberonprime
dizzyduck
_
4. December 2013 @ 13:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Rewinding is not a typical feature with most DLNA servers as the transcoding is only up to a point and after. A cheap solution, which is what I use at my house, is a Western Digital Live Media Player. You can actually stream from Network Shares or DLNA. I use Network Shares and I stream tons of .mkv files and can fast forward and rewind all day. Can get one for $60 on eBay and includes Netflix, Hulu, etc. I have 4 throughout my house and all stream videos/music/pics from 3 x 2TB HDDs connected to my iMac.

FYI: If you choose this option, do not get the Western Digital Play, as it only streams via DLNA.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. December 2013 @ 13:20

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > transcoding dlna server issues

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork