User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 20:14
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > trouble keeping a widescreen as it is in output
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Trouble keeping a widescreen as it is in output
  Jump to:

Posted Message
KosmoLeo
_
25. January 2014 @ 02:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So I'm sure by the standards of many in here I'm fairly newb, but I'm also not totally audio/video, codec illiterate, I just don't very much about widescreen and standard resolutions and converting between them. And I have been monkeying around quite a bit lately with a great little program I've come to like quite a lot, AVS Video Editor 4. For the most part it's fairly easy to use and self explanatory and gives great results. But I have run into a little problem now trying to cut some of my favorite movie clips and save them individually, mainly due to my lack of knowledge about the difference between widescreen and standard resolutions and frame sizes. The problem is I have a movie I am trying to cut clips from, a widescreen mp4. Here is a picture of the original video untouched that I am trying get clips from:

As you can see, it is currently in a truly proper wide screen frame format. Trimming the clip is easy, but the problem arises when I try output a clip of the movie just exactly as it is now. With AVS Video Editor you can select your codec, ie H.264, MPEG4, etc, and either save with the default frame rate, frame size, etc, or you can use advanced selections to enter your own numbers for these settings. What I have been trying to do is use the same codec, H.264, and the same frame size and frame rate the video is already in, in hopes of preserving the current quality as much as possible. But the problem is I never get the same kind of widescreen video frames in the output file as are already in the original movie. Instead what I end up with always looks like this:

And I have tried an MPEG4 codec with the frame size and frame rate set to the same as the original video too, but as I said I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to frame sizes and widescreen and standard resolutions, and I always seem to get the same result no matter which I try. So, my question is simply this. What do I have to do to save a clip I have cut from the movie and have it end up with the exact same kind of widescreen frame pictured above in the pic from the original movie....???

Here is a breakdown of the video and audio specs of the original movie:

Any advice on how to save an output file with the same kind of widescreen frame as the original video the way I want it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
AfterDawn Addict
_
25. January 2014 @ 06:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
use the same codec, H.264, and the same frame size and frame rate the video is already in
I'm not familiar with the program - and don't recall any past references to it at Afterdawn, but if all you are doing is selecting a clip that is being cut on key frames, then I would expect it to default to saving the clip without any recoding and you should expect to see exactly the same as the input.
This is assuming that no cropping of the original is being done - in that case, selecting an output resolution that was the same as the input would result in the output being letterboxed as shown.
I suggest you post the question at the VideoHelp site, where there is a better chance that someone is familiar with the software and could offer expert assistance.
It might be helpful to use the portable version of MediaInfo and post that information from both source and output files.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo
http://forum.videohelp.com/forums/18-Newbie-General-discussions
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > trouble keeping a widescreen as it is in output

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork