User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 16:29
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > xbox 360 - everything else > how can i tell if my xbox console has been banned/avoid corruption?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
How can I tell if my Xbox console has been banned/avoid corruption?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
KrAzY3
_
23. September 2013 @ 10:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm basically a Xbox Live newbie. I love video games, I have an extensive collection, but I'm mainly a single player guy, and I haven't played much Xbox. So, sorry for stupid questions, but hopefully my post is a bit informative.

I dusted off my (unmodded) Xbox when I found out Diablo 3 was coming out for the consoles. I hadn't tried it online ever honestly, as I have an Arcade Xbox 360 also collecting dust that was the only one I ever went online with. I set it up online, I moved my "main account" over to it via memory card, and attached my 120 gig hard drive. After that I searched for threads on free Xbox Live stuff (I had downloaded a few things years ago), and signed up for a free month of Gold.

As many of you might know, there was a region exploit to get free games. Those included Injustice, Arcania, and Rayman Legends (I don't think any of them work anymore). I did this, and partly I thought what do I have to lose? It seems like a ToS violation, but despite a few whispers to the contrary (like some in China being banned for doing this) the primarily attitude seemed to be that you could not be banned for doing this. I thought it sounded risky, but the console I was using was old and bound to overheat eventually, it also had a drive that sticks, and my main account didn't have much to lose. I did NOT use multiple consoles, I did NOT trade accounts with anyone, I did not make more than one account per region. I made one for Morocco, then Oman, then Bosnia. I did however, screw up a bit, as MS fixed the issues with Morocco I guess, and the last few downloads I had failed. So, when the Oman thing was discovered, I re-purchased about 3 games, and let them finish downloading. That might have been what caught Microsoft's attention, as they have this whole thing about duplicating download history, and I'm sure some people were using each account to get the games in duplicate, so they could use them on other consoles, or have other people use them. I never intended to risk another console with this though.

After hearing reports of bannings I checked and my Bosnian and Oman account were banned within seconds of each other (I forget the password I used for Morocco). The Oman one did have those arcade games I re-purchased, but the Bosnian one did not do a single thing other than download Rayman and Fable 3 (which I didn't have). Some speculate that MS was banning new accounts that they found that downloaded those games, as those regions don't even have functioning Xbox Live to begin with. But, when I tried to get more information on the implications of a ban and what not, the forum I was on basically kept calling me a liar, and eventually said go elsewhere if you want information. So, here I am. To be clear, my main account doesn't seem to have been banned. But, I have a few concerns.

A: How can I tell if the console was banned?
I downloaded the profiles to my console. I also played a couple of the games on my console (not all, I got a bit paranoid about it). I have no idea at this point if the console would be banned or not. I don't want to go online with it until I find out more information, as if it's going to be banned Microsoft will do what ever they plan on doing to my device at that point.

B: Is it true that a banned console corrupts stuff?
This is the biggest concern, and one I didn't have before. I thought ok, fine ban the profile, I don't play games online anyway. Ban the console, worst case if I want to do something online, I can use my other console (still hasn't been on Live in a while). But, then I read that for some screwed up and legally ambiguous reason, they used to corrupt the whole hard drive? From what I've read, it still can corrupt a profile and save file if you try to move it to another console. Currently, I only care about my Diablo 3 save, and the fact that I might want to play an expansion or something in the future. Would they really screw up my saves even if the account itself isn't banned?

Thanks in advance for any answers or information!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. September 2013 @ 23:38

afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > xbox 360 - everything else > how can i tell if my xbox console has been banned/avoid corruption?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork