User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 17:11
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > xbox 360 - everything else > xbox360 update error
Show topics

Forums
Forums
xbox360 update error
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Muzikman2
_
3. March 2014 @ 01:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
We had an older xbox360 lying around, my nephew decided to try putting a game in it to test it, see if it worked, who knows what his thoughts were. It failed to update, for whatever reason, so he took it out and hasnt messed with it since (*He thinks game was Resident Evil 6, which is a game we no longer own).
I've now come across it again and when its booted its showing an update error and asking me to put the disc in the machine to continue the update. I've tried updating via USB, CD/DVD, everything. Tried trick where ya eject tray, unplug power cord, push tray halfway in and all that. Can't get it to update.
My question is, Is there any other way to continue the update without the game disc or reset the console so it wont ask for the update anymore? I can't get to dashboard or anything, console boots up and goes directly to update error screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated, though I believe I know what answer is going to be. Thanks!
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
3. March 2014 @ 02:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have read that removing the CMOS battery for a while can reset the Xbox 360, but I personally have never tried that.

My bet would be that you had a spoofed drive in the console and it was below the dashboard version that flashes your drive back to stock. So when your nephew tried updating it by disc it got to the point when it flashes the drive, erased the drive firmware and then couldn't flash the non-fitting firmware to the drive. So if you want to fix the Xbox 360 you'd need the original drive key and a drive from the same brand as the original drive was.

Xbox 360: Slim untouched with a faked 320 GB harddrive for XBL, phat with LT 3.0, played Halo early, so going on live would be an instand ban, also with a faked 320 GB harddrive
PS3: Untouched 160 GB Slim, 60 GB Fat with latest Rogero and 160 GB internal harddrive.
PSVita: hardly ever play it
GameCube: Black with a Viper chip installed. With gameboy player. Trying to get a Wavebird controller.
richietea
_
3. March 2014 @ 04:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Is it flashed? If not what is the update error code?
Muzikman2
_
3. March 2014 @ 13:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Eisherz:
I have read that removing the CMOS battery for a while can reset the Xbox 360, but I personally have never tried that.

My bet would be that you had a spoofed drive in the console and it was below the dashboard version that flashes your drive back to stock. So when your nephew tried updating it by disc it got to the point when it flashes the drive, erased the drive firmware and then couldn't flash the non-fitting firmware to the drive. So if you want to fix the Xbox 360 you'd need the original drive key and a drive from the same brand as the original drive was.
From my undertanding there is no CMOS battery in a xbox360, date and time and etc is controlled through the power brick. So that is no good. The drive has modified firmware on it from years ago, it just got put away and never used for years. Even with a modified drive, it would just erase and update, then I would have to modifiy it again afterwards.

Originally posted by richietea:
Is it flashed? If not what is the update error code?
Yes it was flashed over 4 years ago. Its a BenQ VAD6038 and has firmware on it from 4+ years ago. Which is im sure why it was trying to update off disc since its so old. The error code is "3151-397F-B800-0F00-C000-0013" which according to microsoft is

xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-C000-0013 - The update could not be downloaded from Xbox Live. Try the following:
1.Try installing the update again.
2.If you?re having problems connecting or staying connected to Xbox Live, see Xbox Live connection problems.

Note You can also update your console software by copying the update to a USB flash drive or a disc and then applying it to the console. See Troubleshoot console software update problems.

The console was not plugged in on ethernet when he tried it, so sure that was a reason it failed. Started from disc, then was looking on live for more but couldn't. I've tried using Grand Theft Auto V game disc to try to finish update but all it does is change error code(3151-397F-B800-0F00-C000-0059), which is i'm assuming because I dont have original disc(Redident Evil 6 we believe) that was trying to load the update. Hope this helps give more details and will give a solution from it. Any more questions please ask, I'm still relatively knowlegable in this and far from a noob. Thanks guy!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 3. March 2014 @ 13:37

richietea
_
4. March 2014 @ 05:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If your drive was not spoofed the error code you state is the 14719.This is what you need to download.Here is the link below.

http://digiex.net/downloads/download-ce...0-download.html
Muzikman2
_
4. March 2014 @ 12:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If your drive was not spoofed the error code you state is the 14719.This is what you need to download.Here is the link below.
Ill give it a try right now and see what happens. Thanks richietea!
Muzikman2
_
4. March 2014 @ 12:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nice richietea, it worked like a charm. I would very much love to know how you determined the update I needed and how ya found it for future reference. Thanks so much!

For future readers, I copied the download richietea gave me from the link, to a usb flash drive, removed from computer and plugged into xbox360, booted it up and it continued the update that was required from the original Resident Evil 6 disc(that I no longer owned) that broke system. Syetem rebooted, and boom went back to the dashboard from that period. Ran a xbox live connection test, all checked out, downloaded newest (12 December, 2013.) update and console is now 100% up to date. Now just have to reflash firmware and i'm back in business. This thread just proves that you do NOT need the original disc to complete an update if you no longer have the disc. Just have to find the correct update online from that time period the disc had. (However richietea did that ;-)) Hope this helps anyone in the future and thanks so much to richietea and afterdawn forums! Anyone needs some help I'll try my best to pay it forward, message me or comment here!
richietea
_
4. March 2014 @ 16:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Pleasure glad you got it all sorted.The way to determine the update that failed and what was needed is to look at the error code you were receiving,take the second string of numbers from the code,copy/paste into a hex to decimal converter like the one in the link below.In your case 397F which equates to 14719.Give it a try.

http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/hex-to-decimal-converter
Advertisement
_
__

_
Muzikman2
_
4. March 2014 @ 17:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Pleasure glad you got it all sorted.The way to determine the update that failed and what was needed is to look at the error code you were receiving,take the second string of numbers from the code,copy/paste into a hex to decimal converter like the one in the link below.In your case 397F which equates to 14719.Give it a try.
Very nice richietea. Now I understand. So basically after I convert it, I just search web for that matching update. Very good to know and pretty cool too. Thanks again man!
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > xbox 360 - everything else > xbox360 update error

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork