User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 07:31
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows 8 discussion > cannot create desktop icon
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Cannot create desktop icon
  Jump to:

Posted Message
durkinjt
_
18. May 2014 @ 10:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have been trying to put my Bank Of America site as an icon on the desktop, in the past when I chose to do this I right clicked on the program and got a scroll down with the option to " Create Shortcut", now when I try I do not get this option. I have Win 8.1, it has always worked previously with 8.1. Any ideas appreciated.

James T. Durkin
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
18. May 2014 @ 22:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This works in Win7 and should work for Win8, give it a try, can't hurt...

NOTE: Make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" option is disabled in "Folder Options", otherwise the second step might not work and the text file will not convert in desktop shortcut item.

1. Type "shell:sendto" (no quotes, of course) in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open "Send To" folder.

2. Now right-click on blank area in the folder and select "New -> Text document". It'll create a text file with the name "New Text Document.txt". Rename this file and set its name to "Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink" without the .txt.

3. That's it. Now you'll get "Desktop (create shortcut)" option back in "Send To" menu.

2oG
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
20. May 2014 @ 23:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
xdntweaker similar to xp tweakui with more options,pretty much does same as what 2oldgeek has suggested except it has a gui to do different tweaks,works in xp to win 8,its safe to use & as always it's free

will require .NET installed to run
http://xenomorph.net/files/code/vb/xdntweaker/

AfterDawn Addict
_
20. May 2014 @ 23:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A gui? Heaven forbid. That's the easy way... I'm still a GEEK! lmao

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading; The few who learn by observation;
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves...
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. May 2014 @ 01:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
personally i think member should install speeddial add-on for browser

AfterDawn Addict
_
21. May 2014 @ 01:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Gee, I wish I could get a speed dial, but I am so far back in the hills we only have rotary phones.
My number is BR 549.
KEVIN4344
_
21. May 2014 @ 10:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
In windows 7

Go to address bar. left click, hold and drag icon at start of address bar to desktop.
icon appears in desktop.
hope it works for you.
ddp
_
21. May 2014 @ 13:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
save it in your favorites then right click it & send it to desktop creating a shortcut.
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. May 2014 @ 13:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by durkinjt:
in the past when I chose to do this I right clicked on the program and got a scroll down with the option to " Create Shortcut",
Doesn't sound like a drag situation.. More like a missing function in the right click context menu.. hello!
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows 8 discussion > cannot create desktop icon

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork