User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 16:27
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows 8 discussion > cannot re-install windows 8
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Cannot re-install Windows 8
  Jump to:

Posted Message
NGT
_
22. December 2013 @ 07:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi,

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro at the beginning of the year and all was ok. However, I did notice my PC crashing overnight about once every couple of weeks and I'd have to re-start it the next day. It still then fired up into windows 8. However, about a week ago it started crashing everynight. it did boot to windows a few times but then it started to auto repair when I re-booted in the morning. The repairs did not work and with the Windows boot disc I couldn't upgrade again so decided to go for a complete fresh install.

I have 2 disk drives on the PC. 1GB which is my main c: drive and where I originally installed Windows 8 and 1 170MB drive which I just used to copy things too. However, when I selected "custom" and "Drive 0" (which is my 1 GB c drive) it goes to the next screen and just hangs.. the "Copying Windows Software" stays at 0% and after about 10 mins I get the message saying it cannot access drive 0. I've tried this a number of times and even when I select Drive 1 (my 170 MB drive to install Windows 8 on instead) I get the same Drive 0 error.

I'm not technical but have looked at a number of forums. I've installed Linux Puppy and used Gparted to try and re-partition the drives. this works ok for the 170 MB drive but the 1 GB errors and it cannot be re-partitioned. or formatted.

I've also accessed the DISKPART tool on the command prompt.. did the "Create Partition Primary" for the 170 MB drive and then formatted ok gave it a d: letter. tried the same for the 1GB drive and it failed with a "The Parameter is incorrect" message.

Not sure if this is the issue where there's a recovery partition on the drive as the original Windows 8 install was on this drive but I can't see it in any of the tools. I have also seen elsewhere that it could be on the "a: drive". I don't have a floppy and I can't access this in the command prompt but in Gparted it says there is an a: drive that's mounted.. I have then unmounted this, done all of the above again and it still doesn't work.

Any help greatly appreciated!

thanks.

NGT.
Advertisement
_
__
ddp
_
22. December 2013 @ 16:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
maybe your hard drive is crapping out which might explain the errors you are getting. desktop or laptop? namebrand as in hp, dell or a clone?
megadunderhead
_
19. January 2014 @ 21:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
it's how the new o.s formats the drive is where your issue is at i went back to windows 7 after my h e double hockey sticks with windows 8 i found out windows 8 uses a newer version of the ntsf partition when the partition is working your fine however you try to reinstall windows 7 it can't find the hard drive because windows 7 doesn't understand the ntsf partition which results in corruption of the hard drive however there is a solution you need another windows computer that you can hook the hard drive to as a secondary hard drive and then format and zero the drive this is the only way to kill the ntsf in windows 8 once finished your hard drive will be good as new
ddp
_
20. January 2014 @ 10:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
megadunderhead, don't think it is the ntsf issue as would not have been able to install windows 8 at all.
megadunderhead
_
20. January 2014 @ 22:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
actually you would be able to still run the installer it would just fail half way through with a blue screen of death and error code 300949 then restart i noticed its better to make sure your drive meets the latest standards as well for windows 8..
Advertisement
_
__

_
ddp
_
20. January 2014 @ 23:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
wrong on the 2nd part & most likely wrong on the 1st part as well.
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows 8 discussion > cannot re-install windows 8

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork