User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 06:49
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows 8 discussion > microsofts latest windows 8 ploy we want you to purchase but no service pack for you.
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Microsofts latest windows 8 ploy we want you to purchase but no service pack for you.
  Jump to:

Posted Message
megadunderhead
_
3. December 2013 @ 22:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This has to be stupid!!!

Ok let me explain my whole Story!!!

I am a member of amazon prime do to a billing dispute amazon sent me a free unopened copy of windows 8.

I meet the system requirements as stated on the box

system requirements:

1 ghx processor

2 gb ram

20 gig of free hard drive space.

i have a:

Core 2 duo 3.4 ghz processor

16 gigs of ram

1 tb hard drive

I decided to install windows 8 64 bit edition (Big mistake!!!).

I can now warn people do not install the 64 bit edition of windows 8 unless you have a I5 or better processor.

Let me explain.

The install went perfect nice and fast it installed all of the updates from windows update i noticed though i couldn't see windows 8.1 on the windows update options so i went to the store and was greeted with the windows 8.1 is available for download option in windows 8.

I clicked it...

Sorry your computer cannot run windows 8.1....

What!!!!

I went into the windows 8.1 upgrade advisor...

And all is not well it would seem microsoft has lied and changed the system requirements for windows 8.1 even though its a service pack.

The new system requirements are.

A intel processor with SSE2 SSE3 With support for lhahf

3 gig's of ram

20 gigs of hard drive space.

So even though i could install windows 8 which by the way microsoft has announced they will drop support for windows 8 regular no 8.1 versions by april of 2014 unless you upgrade to 8.1 which totally sucks as well.

so they basically left me in limbo..

Which really made me angry...

Then to add insult to injury i decided to upgrade my computers ram to some new high speed ram still 16 gig and windows 8 decided to deactivate and won't reactivate.

so in all do honesty

Windows 8 Winblows sucks

thanks for nothing micro dork!!!
Advertisement
_
__
ddp
_
4. December 2013 @ 16:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
not according to this link for win8 end of support.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/...alpha=windows+8
april 2014 is end of support for xp.
megadunderhead
_
7. December 2013 @ 13:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
not according to this link for win8 end of support.
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/...alpha=windows+8
april 2014 is end of support for xp.
correct but there talking about windows 8 with the 8.1 service pack installed..

where if you meet the o.s requirements for one and not the other your in trouble
ddp
_
7. December 2013 @ 17:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
win8.1 is not the service pack for win 8 just like win98se was not the service pack for win98fe.
megadunderhead
_
11. December 2013 @ 22:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
win8.1 is not the service pack for win 8 just like win98se was not the service pack for win98fe.
weird pcworld says it is a service pack and that they couldn't install it on there core 2 duo because of the system requirements changed so they had to get a way more expensive machine to run it
Advertisement
_
__

_
ddp
_
12. December 2013 @ 00:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
you don't pay for service packs just operating systems like win7, 8 & 8.1.
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows 8 discussion > microsofts latest windows 8 ploy we want you to purchase but no service pack for you.

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork