User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 09:14
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows 8 discussion > reverting to windows 8 from 8.1
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Reverting to Windows 8 from 8.1
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Kafka
_
2. December 2013 @ 20:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1. All was fine until I tried to use my Xitel LP recording software. It didn't work. Xitel told me that they had no plans to make their software compatible with 8.1. When I originally upgraded to Windows 8 I got Xitel to work by running it in compatibilty mode (to XP). I've tried to do the same in 8.1 but the program runs rather erratically. Windows 8.1 doesn't seem to offer improvements which are relevant to me, so I am considering reverting to Windows 8. Can I do this by simple reinstalling 8 over the top of 8.1 or is there more to it?
Advertisement
_
__
rulisky
_
3. December 2013 @ 15:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I would try a System Restore to a point before you "upgraded" to Win 8.1 -- See if that works?? If not then try a more drastic method. Be sure to back up ALL your data before a reinstall. No reason to think a fresh install would not solve your issue.
Kafka
_
3. December 2013 @ 16:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by rulisky:
I would try a System Restore to a point before you "upgraded" to Win 8.1 -- See if that works?? If not then try a more drastic method. Be sure to back up ALL your data before a reinstall. No reason to think a fresh install would not solve your issue.
Thanks for your advice. I googled the question and many of the sites claimed that a system restore wouldn't work. The advice provided was rather complicated, which is why I asked whether I could simply install Windows 8 over the top op Windows 8.1. I'll give it a try anyway.
Kafka
_
3. December 2013 @ 17:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I tried System Restore but the earliest restore point was 22nd November which, I realised, was when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (in other words, there were no restore points prior to when I installed 8.1.
rulisky
_
3. December 2013 @ 18:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sorry about the system restore not being an option. But worth a look before the reinstall. Hope that the reinstall goes easy for you. Cheers.
ddp
_
3. December 2013 @ 21:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
try uninstalling the Xitel program than re-install using compatibility mode. better to do fresh install of windows than upgrade as some programs might get screwed up during the upgrade process but not during the fresh install.
Advertisement
_
__

_
megadunderhead
_
3. December 2013 @ 21:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
try uninstalling the Xitel program than re-install using compatibility mode. better to do fresh install of windows than upgrade as some programs might get screwed up during the upgrade process but not during the fresh install.
Be careful when reinstalling windows 8 the activation system for windows 8 has a set number of activations if you have exceeded that number you cannot activate windows even if you own a legit copy!!!

i ran into this little cruddy idea when i upgraded the ram in my computer and windows 8 deactivated and told me it couldn't reactivate because my activation limit was succeeded beyond what microsoft thought it should be...

So be careful
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows 8 discussion > reverting to windows 8 from 8.1

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork