User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 09:51
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows 8 discussion > windows 8 won't power off
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Windows 8 won't power off
  Jump to:

Posted Message
mynamevincenttt
_
1. February 2014 @ 17:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey guys, so after a fresh install of windows 8 (and subsequent upgrade to 8.1) my Acer aspire 5560g will not power off or sleep. I can shut it down, but once the screen and hard drive turn off, the cpu fan starts spinning hard and the laptop even gets hot, as if I were gaming, if I leave it overnight. I've tried turning off hybrid sleep and fast boot but to no avail. Same symptoms with sleeping. It's weird cause when I upgraded from win 7 before(rather than a fresh install) everything was fine. Also, when booting up, I get to the page with the windows logo and the spinning circle of balls and it freezes at the first 2 balls that show up. Before this point it seems to turn off my function keys that allow me to get into bios or choose boot method. The screen before the windows logo doesn't even have the option to press f2 or f12, its just blank. The only way I can boot it is if I unplug, take out the battery, and hold the power button down for a couple seconds, which I believe (probably wrongly) resets the cmos. Once I do that and turn it back on, everything is normal. I get my function key options back and it hoots into windows normally. The only thing i can think of is some motherboard incompatibility with windows 8): this does happens from the first reboot after installing windows, so I don't believe it's drivers or apps. I use the exact same driver packages I did in my Os before the wipe. If you have any ideas please let me know! Thanks.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1. February 2014 @ 17:07

rulisky
_
2. February 2014 @ 14:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Windows 8 is the "New Vista". Personally I would go back to Win 7 (unless you relish abuse). After going back to 7, if you no longer have issues, you will know it was all about problems with 8.
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows 8 discussion > windows 8 won't power off

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork