User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 07:26
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r for advanced users > which are best dvd drives to read flaky dvds?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Which Are Best DVD Drives to Read Flaky DVDS?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
audioresearch
_
18. May 2010 @ 03:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a few dvd drives. Some are just readers and some are also burners. Some of them have much better results reading flaky or scratched dvds than others and the differences between my drives are fairly consistent in that my best drive almost always will read a dvd that my worst drives will not read (the bad drives give crc errors and in general give up and consider sectors to be bad that are read with no problem by my good drives).

So, is there any consensus in this forum on which drives are the best at reading "hard to read" dvds (and that would include "store bought" pressed dvds as well as dvd-r disks)??
Advertisement
_
__
Paula_X
Suspended permanently
_
18. May 2010 @ 07:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It literally depends on the disk and the drive.. a lot of times cheaper drives perform better with bad media. Samsung are reputedly the best reading drives around, but I can't verify that because I have an old philips burner which is better.
nightfly
_
10. June 2011 @ 16:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have several old Toshiba 12x SCSI DVD drives that read pretty much anything, as long as the disk isn't cracked or scratched too badly. Minor scratches that interfere with reading the disk can be polished out with Meguire's plastic polish.

Software that doesn't work, or decides on it's own to run all the time, sucks.
AfterDawn Addict
_
9. August 2011 @ 21:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
my Plextors read pretty much anything

Antec 1200 Full-Tower Case/Thermaltake 750-Watt PS/ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 Mobo/Western Digital Black WD500 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card/CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB DDR3 /Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)/CORSAIR Hydro High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler/3-Asus DRW-24B1ST Sata Drives/Samsung 2493HM 24" LCD Monitior 1920x1200 resolution,5ms respone time/OS Windows 10 Pro SP1 64-bit
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. October 2011 @ 13:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you have the money, Plextors are the very best. I have a Lite-on. When I bought mine they were rated as one of the best but cheap because they are made in China. Otherwise most cheap Chinese are as good as any. Stay away from Sony. The ones they make are crap though they resell Chinese for a good mark up so their cheap ones are their best.

A good burner is a great investment. Mine will read though a fairly scratched disk. Still if the disk has deep scratches I have to grind them flat or near flat.
Advertisement
_
__

_
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
1. October 2011 @ 14:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
you guys realize this thread is over a year old..meh..newer is always better my two latest drives & yeah real good at reading damaged dvd's problem is the dvd files will play like crap

http://usa.asus.com/Optical_Storage/Int...rive/DRW24B3LT/

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r for advanced users > which are best dvd drives to read flaky dvds?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork