Forums
Forums
Transistors vs tube amps
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
25. October 2013 @ 13:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I had a wonderful discussion about which is better transistors or tube amps in a more technical forum. I wanted to post 2 particualy good links. I will add them to the top sticky as well.

http://electronicdesign.com/analog-amp-...heir-origins-sa

http://electronicdesign.com/analog/tube...use-fire-part-2
_
25. October 2013 @ 21:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ive always liked the "tube sound".i dont quite know how to describe the difference but transistor amps always sounded hard,no depth.nothing like the distortion of an overdriven tube type amp.
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. October 2013 @ 10:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As the author states, the difference is distortion. He also states distortion can be value added. Turntable vs CD is also distortion. If you use single crystal patch cords they reduce that distortion enough that the LPs sound more like a CD than an LP.

On a personal note, I do not clean up vinyl captures. I prefer them el natural. In other words I like both chocolate and vanilla and would not opt to eliminate either one from my listening experiance.

The articles go into great technical detail in explaining many differences he was aware of. Digital is more precise, faster acting and clean. Some of the smaller components in older tube amps distort. Just because it is cleaner doesn't mean better. Acoustic instruments are not clean at all but I prefer them in certain settings. It is their 'dirtiness' that makes their music more complex and more charming. As I age, I appreciate acoustic more each year.

Tube amps are very hard to come by these days. Most persons have never even heard one operate.
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
26. October 2013 @ 13:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
had an old (newer then) fender super reverb back in the day.
afterdawn.com > forums > digital audio > audio > transistors vs tube amps

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork