User User name Password  

Sunday 9.6.2024 / 11:30
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital audio > audio > what brand dvd/cd writer? & problem with library...
Show topics

Forums
Forums
what brand DVD/CD writer? & problem with library...
  Jump to:

Posted Message
wedrowan
_
9. January 2013 @ 13:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I can't find any info about my DVD/CD writer except
ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device
I want to locate the manufacturer
Perhaps the pros can advise on the situation.......
I'm having an argument (not really since they won't respond) with Redondo Beach, CA library over a shattered audiobook cd
I was ripping an old cd, improperly labeled (label on one side not balanced on the other, disc was very worn, old and scratched, nearly transparent in some spots, several in the set did not play well) when the cd shattered in my reader. The antique library policy (and antique librarian) claim my cd reader broke it (like a tape player eating an old tape) and want me to pay to replace it. It's not a lot of money but some of their audio books are really old and worn, and I hate to be ripped off. Like playing hot potato... they send old materials out until someone has to pay for the new one. I was lucky to salvage the writer, works fine.

I've sent them several letters to different city offices documenting information from the internet on cd shattering, most often> always defective discs, with no response.

I thought of contacting the manufacture of my writer for more back up. I'd bet they have the tech facts on this kind of thing....

I'll probably contact the city attorney next too.
Most of the comments I've read on the internet result in the library acknowledging technology and not making the patron pay, we are not dealing with tapes anymore, but these people seem particularly thick and not very savvy, several comments she made showed she had little computer experience.
there is no interest on the fee, so I can try any ideas
Advertisement
_
__
JST1946
_
9. January 2013 @ 14:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Your particular drive the iHAS124B is made by the Liteon company.You can probably get some information on it from their website.

http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_wrapper

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 9. January 2013 @ 14:14

Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
10. January 2013 @ 13:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well different libraries have different policies. I know if you lose a book you have to replace it in every library I have used. I usually do not even try to play a CD with a label that is not full faced with a computer drive due to a bad experiences. I almost broke a disk/ damaged my burner. CD players don't have the RPMs that a DC/DVD burner has. They start at very high RPMs. I bet you heard a loud noise as it starrted up. Had you quickly ejected the CD you would have saved the CD. It is likely you did break it through ignorance. That is neither here nor there. If you borrowed the disk you have to play by their rules.
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
10. January 2013 @ 13:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well different libraries have different policies. I know if you lose a book you have to replace it in every library I have used. I usually do not even try to play a CD with a label that is not full faced with a computer drive due to a bad experiences. I almost broke a disk/ damaged my burner. CD players don't have the RPMs that a DC/DVD burner has. They start at very high RPMs. I bet you heard a loud noise as it starrted up. Had you quickly ejected the CD you would have saved the CD. It is likely you did break it through ignorance. That is neither here nor there. If you borrowed the disk you have to play by their rules.
wedrowan
_
13. January 2013 @ 14:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by JST1946:
Your particular drive the iHAS124B is made by the Liteon company.You can probably get some information on it from their website.

Thank you
curious, how did you find that? I was stymied...
wedrowan
_
13. January 2013 @ 14:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Mez:
If I had lost a book (never have) I would have expected to pay, different issue.
No noise as it stated up.
I wish I had paid more attention to it being worn and mislabeled, I would have returned them (and they would have sent them out to someone else), now I know. My "ignorance" had to do with not understanding the danger of improperly labeled, worn CDs, if all tech info I have found on the internet is correct, I found several pages of quotes of authorities who stated that cracks, heat damage, etc are the most likely cause, that good media crack so rarely at very high speeds it is not considered likely
if you have info to the contrary I would be interested in seeing it.

I don't agree about playing by their rules if the rules are not right. History is full of conditions we now see as wrong that someone had to argue with to correct.
This is not a momentous issue, but, based on all the info from tech sites, it is an anachronism on their part and unfair to other patrons also.
and a policy most libraries have corrected, they also seem to see the difference between losing a book and a shattered cd.
JST1946
_
13. January 2013 @ 16:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by wedrowan:

Thank you
I just copied the model number and pasted it into the search box and it came up with the information about who made it.

wedrowan
_
13. January 2013 @ 16:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by wedrowan:

Thank you
I just copied the model number and pasted it into the search box and it came up with the information about who made it.
Thank you, for some reason, it wouldn't do that for me.
And by the way, thank you, Vet... your efforts on our behalf appreciated.
Advertisement
_
__

_
JST1946
_
13. January 2013 @ 16:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No problem your welcome.I was just doing my duty and loved every minute of it.

afterdawn.com > forums > digital audio > audio > what brand dvd/cd writer? & problem with library...

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork