User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 11:04
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r > audio cdr plays once and always seen as blank after
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Audio CDR plays once and always seen as blank after
  Jump to:

Posted Message
comatosedream
_
2. June 2011 @ 08:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm hoping the title is descriptive enough. I have NEVER come across this problem and google searches only bring up things like "Can't burn audio CDs" "Blank CD not recognized" "My CD won't play"

These don't work, and I even spent the time reading them for these facts;

The CDRs in question have worked for the last few years. They play on many platforms and in MANY drives. The problem is this:

I pull out my backup copy of Black Sabbath Volume 4 (a personal vinyl-drop by me ;)
This CD-R is From TDK and allows burning up to 52x.
It was burned 4 years ago on a Windows XP computer using a LG drive (can't remember the model number)
I play it in both Windows Media Player and foobar.
I eject the disc and listen to my backup of Blind Guardian Twist in the Myth.
Made at the same time, on the same computer on the same media.
It plays just fine in WMP and foobar.
I decide I want to listen to Volume 4 again.
Pop it in, and it comes up as blank.
I pop in Twist in the Myth.
It also comes up blank.
I grab my Twist in the Myth, make a flac copy with EAC, burn to disc using EAC. (same steps and media I've used before, only change is a new laptop)
I eject it.
I re-insert it.
I play it just fine in both WMP and foobar.
I eject it.
I re-insert it.
Guess what? It is now being recognized as a blank disc and of course fails on any kind of burns.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm just about ready to reinstall Windows...I do not know what I could have installed that started this.

Nevermind. Actually sitting down and testing this, it's not a problem at all I think??? There were two CD-Rs, my copies of Nine Inch Nails The Fragile... they were the only ones that recently got played, played once and stopped.

Okay. Here's a test. I tried to remember all the burned audio CDs I have played on this new laptop. Nine Inch Nails The Fragile. Has two CDs.
These are older than the Black Sabbath CD, same media and same burner used.
I was able to listen to this on this laptop before.
Now they do not play.
I hookup my old CD Burner from my old computer (the drive it was burned from) using an external hard drive hookup.
Plays the the 'Left' CD fine. I pop it out and put it back in the laptop and voila! It's now a blank disc.
I again, put it back in the CD burner it came from and it plays fine.
Pop it into the laptop and it's a blank disc now.

I have a feeling, maybe, if I restart my computer, the disc will be blank.
I'll pop it into my externally hooked up CD Burner and it'll play.
I'll pop it into the laptop it will play.
I'll pop it out and back in and it'll be blank.

If this prediction holds true, could this just be a small batch of badly burned disc? And if so, why would they now have a problem? They played for 4-5 years on other computers, platforms and drives (XBox included!)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. June 2011 @ 09:02

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r > audio cdr plays once and always seen as blank after

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork