User User name Password  

Saturday 8.6.2024 / 02:22
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 encoding (avi to dvd) > lager file??
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Lager file??
  Jump to:

Posted Message
HDNUM1
_
20. February 2010 @ 16:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just a very quick and dumb question, why does it take up more room to convert a AVI (about 1gb) to a DVD format taking up over 4gigs!!! The original is smaller, I have heard of shrinking or compressing the file, but if the original is small to start off with how can it expand it to over 4 gig, first the program ask to put it on two discs over 7 gig!!! I said fit on one. Does converting to DVD make it better quality? Thanks just trying to understand what is going on here I am using AVS Video converter...
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
20. February 2010 @ 18:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The mpeg2 format requires more space for the same running time: or to put it another way, the original DVD mpeg2 files can be compressed to smaller file size if you use the likes of the XviD/DivX codec.
jony218
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
20. February 2010 @ 22:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The quality won't improve, but making the xvid capable of playing on a dvd player will increase it size.
Also the resolution for dvd will be upsize (720x480), the video bitrate for a dvd will will be higher about 3000kps (xvid usually 800-900kps), the audio is also about 192kps (xvid usually 128kps or lower).

But you can lower the quality even more and fit 2 movies in a dvd quite easily. You won't lose any measurable quality. I do it all the time.

For instance convertx2dvd which I use, at high quality will produce a dvd of about 4gb, at standard quality the dvd will usually be under 2gb. To me they both look the same on the TV.
HDNUM1
_
21. February 2010 @ 01:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
SO the resolution upsize and bitrate increase does not help any..??
"Make it look better"...?
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
21. February 2010 @ 01:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by HDNUM1:
SO the resolution upsize and bitrate increase does not help any..??
"Make it look better"...?

No, you cannot make oranges from orange juice.

When the original video source(DVD probably) was compressed into an AVI, some of the data was "thrown away", discarded. You cannot bring back the quality by simply converting back to DVD, all you can do is try to preserve as much as you can from what you have.

Piss me off, and I Will ignore You!
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 encoding (avi to dvd) > lager file??

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork