User User name Password  

Tuesday 11.6.2024 / 09:05
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > divx / xvid > optimum resolution for given bitrate?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Optimum resolution for given bitrate?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
stonemike
_
11. February 2010 @ 14:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Here's a question for those who really knows what goes on when we convert and compress video files.

Say I'm ripping a DVD to XVID. I generally have a good idea what bitrate (or final file size) I want. My question is, having fixed the bitrate, does it matter what resolution I use? Is it best to just keep the native resolution of the DVD? Generally I have been reducing the width to 576 pixels but I've not been doing this based on any particular reason except that it seems like a good compromise. I play my files on multiple devices including an archos player (480x272 screen) and a 32" 720p LCD.

And a related question... If I keep the native resolution during conversion ie. compress but not resize, is the conversion any quicker?
_
11. February 2010 @ 17:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's a good question and it does matter. If you set the resolution
too high for a give bitrate, the quality will suffer.

One method is to encode in AutoGK, set the file size and allow AutoGK to choose the resolution.

Choosing the native resolution may be slightly quicker but it's wrong.
Normally avi files are created with a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1, but
this is certainly not the ratio used on the DVD, and has to
accounted for.
stonemike
_
13. February 2010 @ 06:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the reply. I'm using AutoGK more these days and only wish I'd found it two years ago when I started doing this stuff!
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > divx / xvid > optimum resolution for given bitrate?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork