User User name Password  

Monday 10.6.2024 / 00:15
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > video playback problems > can't find the guy with the weird samsung tv/dvr problem
Show topics

Forums
Forums
can't find the guy with the weird samsung tv/dvr problem
  Jump to:

Posted Message
ps355528
_
5. November 2011 @ 11:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Remember the thread about a samsung tv showing strange "parts of picture moving independently" problem?.. but seemed to only be on off air things?.. may have found something relevant

Originally posted by Duke_Nukem:
You can't always convert recorded digital TV streams to DVD, even if they are both MPEG2, without re-encoding.

An MPEG2 stream, as used in the UK's "Freeview" and on video DVD's, consists of an 'I' frame (a real picture frame) followed by a number of frames that are basically how to tweak that picture to get later frames. Obviously, after a while, the resulting image will degrade as inaccuracies mount up, so after a number of in-between frames another 'I' frame is inserted.

PAL dvd spec is that there should be a real image (I-frame) at least every 13 frames. This represents ~1/2 second and this is good enough for seeking to specific points on the DVD. However, with freeview there are often 40+ frames between each real image, way outside the spec for a DVD. Incidentally 'Outside of spec' doesn't mean it wouldn't work, just that it might not work or may work on one player but not another; also note that the number of frames between each 'I' frame varies during a program, so you might even end up with a DVD plays but then goes funny at certain playback positions.

A second issue is that digital TV often transmits video as 540x576 pixels (I think its 540 - 544?), whilst flags in the stream tell whatever is playing it how they should be resized before display. Anyhow, for PAL DVD it should be 720x576 or 704x576.

One thing though . If you re-encode to DVD at a bit rate that gives 1.5 Hrs per disc, the compression quality will be significantly higher than the original broadcast so you shouldn't notice any degradation of the image.

ARR! Them pesky Navy! Get out of my sea!
irc://irc.villageirc.net/afterdawn http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/
AfterDawn Addict
_
5. November 2011 @ 14:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > video playback problems > can't find the guy with the weird samsung tv/dvr problem

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork