User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 22:03
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > video playback problems > some videos play & others do not?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Some Videos Play & Others Do Not?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
dusktillafterdawn
_
24. October 2012 @ 11:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a pack of videos that we're ripped and encoded from old VHS tapes. The pack contains about about 50 episodes, of which 4 of them will not play in Windows Media Center, nor do they have a thumbnail in Windows Explorer (in Windows 7). They just appear as a generic icon and give me a "Windows Media Player encounter a problem while playing the file" error" error.

I opened these all the files in VirtualDub and under "File Properties" I was able to get the encoding information. All the videos (both the playable and non-playable ones) are all using the same Xvid MPEG-4 / Fraunhoff IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codecs. The only difference is on the bad files, VirtualDub has the keyframes listed at 1 and gives the following error message when opening:

Quote:
[!] AVI: Index not found or damaged -- reconstructing via file scan.
[!] AVI: Invalid chunk detected at 131255520. Enabling aggressive recovery mode.
[!] AVI: Keyframe flag reconstruction was not specified in open options and the video stream is not a known keyframe-only type. Seeking in the video stream may be extremely slow.

I've already confirmed on two different HDDs that the files are not corrupt in downloading, so I'm assuming the problem has to do with the software on my end.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 24. October 2012 @ 11:25

AfterDawn Addict
_
24. October 2012 @ 11:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
In VirtualDub, if you click 'File > Open Video File' and check the box, lower left, for 'ask for extended option, then check the box for 're-derive keyframe flag' and on the main menu, set 'Video > Direct stream copy' and save the file does it help?
dusktillafterdawn
_
25. October 2012 @ 11:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by attar:
In VirtualDub, if you click 'File > Open Video File' and check the box, lower left, for 'ask for extended option, then check the box for 're-derive keyframe flag' and on the main menu, set 'Video > Direct stream copy' and save the file does it help?
This did indeed work like a charm! However I still did get this error for each of them:

Quote:
[!] AVI: Index not found or damaged -- reconstructing via file scan.
[!] AVI: Invalid chunk detected at 131255520. Enabling aggressive recovery
mode.
But they are working now so I can't complain. What exactly did you do to fix them?
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
25. October 2012 @ 12:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Beats me, I just use VirtualDub a lot so I know it sometime helps to clean up bad avi files.
You could also try DivFix - it's specifically designed to repair AVI files that are corrupted - although I can't say one way or the other if it works;I usually get by using VirtualDub.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DivFix
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > video playback problems > some videos play & others do not?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork