Show topics

Forums
Forums
sanyo drw500
  Jump to:

Posted Message
rtrg
_
1. June 2013 @ 21:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Can this unit record AUDIO ONLY using either a +DVD, R or RW or a CD-R? Is there a CD+R? IF yes does the VIDEO cable need to be connected even though VIDEO will NOT be present? I plan to transfer my open reel tapes to disc. I can use a vcr but I have an abundance of DVD+Rs I can use as this will be a RAW transfer, no editing. One disc equals on reel. I prefer to use RWs for video as I do with VHS tapes for the same reason,re- recordability.
Advertisement
_
__
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
12. June 2013 @ 20:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You could feed your analog into your sound card and digitize your tapes. How much time is on a reel? What ever, you can compress the music. One thing you might not know is burned DVDs do not last forever. The worst, Sony, start to lose data in about 5 yrs. I have some that are still readable after 10 but I am reburning them before I lose the data.
rtrg
_
12. June 2013 @ 21:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As long as I connect a player to one of the a/v inputs for the sake of the video signal with no disc inserted, I can then connect the audio into the same connector. I have other dvd brands. The unit like all units is picky as to which brand it "LIKES".
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
13. June 2013 @ 18:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am fairly sure it will work. I suspect the quality will be inferior by using a movie medium to record audio but then maybe your reel to reel isn't HiFi. Only blue ray has great sound.
rtrg
_
13. June 2013 @ 19:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have already tried it using a cassette recorder with a commercial tape. The sound is fine for me, no better/worse than the cassette. I am using dvd rw because I need the 6 hour record time. CDRs are too short.
rtrg
_
13. June 2013 @ 19:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have already tried it using a cassette recorder with a commercial tape. The sound is fine for me, no better/worse than the cassette. I am using dvd rw because I need the 6 hour record time. CDRs are too short.
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
14. June 2013 @ 19:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I would suggest this...
Your R2R are 8 hrs long. CDs can hold about an hr of lossless.

I would do exactly as I suggest. You can't fit 6 hrs of video on a DVD they hold about 3 hrs max unless you compress the hell out of them. The sound quality for a DVD made to be played in TV speakers is very poor. (DVD NOT a Blue Ray) BR has great sound but then they are 60 GB not 9 GB.

Audio is probably less than 10% of the bandwidth of a video. By capturing just the audio with audacity 100% of your bandwidth is audio.

If you compress your lossless to HiFi lossy You can easily fit 8 hrs on a CD. The fidelity will be 10x the audio of a DVD movie. I have tried making 8 hr mp3s without luck. You might be able to make a 6 hr one. If not, what I do is cut the lossless into 1 hr chunks in audacity. You can scroll through the audio for about an hr then break at a gap. This is also more convenient when you play because you can skip through tracks to find a selection.

I would use dbPowerAmp to do the conversion. I think anything that will play a DVD plays a mp3 CD.
rtrg
_
14. June 2013 @ 20:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I recorded 6 hours of cassettes onto one 6 hour dvd, +RW. No difference in sound quality. The same is true for all other combinations of media in any dubbing direction. My ears are not the best. Not being a techie, I need a simple way to accomplish this. Using software is more than I want to do or have the skills to do. This is fine for me. I have another 6 hour recorder for -RW. I can only think the results would be the same. Good enough for me.
Advertisement
_
__

_
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
14. June 2013 @ 21:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well then you have a winner! You have a great attitude. Many techno weenies go overboard trying to preserve perfect sound that their ears can't hear and their speakers will not reproduce.
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r for newbies > sanyo drw500

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork