User User name Password  

Monday 13.5.2024 / 23:13
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > can media damage a laser?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Can media damage a laser?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
mbr12
_
24. November 2011 @ 18:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Is it possible for dvdr media to cause a laser to be damaged? Possibly giving off fumes or something?
I have two players. One had been having difficulty playing discs, both premade and homemade, freezing, stalling or whatever it's called. I had cleaned the laser a couple of times and it worked better for a while, then acted up again.
Then I started using the other and after a short time it started acting up in the same way.
I wonder if one of the various brands of dvd-+r I used was ruining the lasers. Anyone ever experience this?
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
24. November 2011 @ 21:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No they can't unless physical contact is made,when you say premade you talk'n original & in excellent condition if so then it sounds like laser is on it's way out unless there's something running in the back ground draining resources,if the dvd drive is more than 3 y/o i'd replace it with one of the newer asus or lite-on green drives (24B3LT)they can be used to burn the new 360 discs,the asus i have are rebranded liteons

ps355528
_
27. November 2011 @ 09:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
the people who say bad disks can't damage lasers are wrong.. you only have to listen to the noises a drive makes trying to deal with crap/damaged media to realise that a lot of strain is put on the optics and focus/position hardware.

ARR! Them pesky Navy! Get out of my sea!
irc://irc.villageirc.net/afterdawn http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/
Advertisement
_
__

_
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
27. November 2011 @ 12:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
mechanical devices are supposed to make noise wouldn't be mechanical if they didn't,focus optics ? could've sworn focal point was domed glass like a magnifying glass & unlike a magnifying glass does not move towards or outward of the disc,the laser itself neither increases nor decreases in intensity as far as i'm aware,way i see it comes down to normal wear & tear & how long is that same as a piece of string,if the media is that bad the skipping of the movie,game whatever will be horrendous

afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > can media damage a laser?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork