User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 18:32
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > hard drive a viable alternative to media?...
Show topics

Forums
Forums
hard drive a viable alternative to media?...
  Jump to:

Posted Message
gitoy
_
6. June 2011 @ 00:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
saw an external 2tb hard drive at frys for $90...that is about 300 dvds worth of storage and i am thinking i will just have a library that i could access rather than the inconvenience of physically messing with my dvds...

what are the pros and cons of doing this?...
Advertisement
_
__
_
6. June 2011 @ 02:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Pro's
Easy access
Video quality better IMO.
No need for a DVD player any longer.

Cons
Takes a considerable amount of time to rip 300+ DVD's to HDD
The need for a back up 2TB HDD to be safe or keep the DVD originals.

I ripped 300 DVD's to my desktop and am able to stream video through my network using a WD Live Plus media player.
_
6. June 2011 @ 04:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ive been watching movies through a 650gb external hdd connected to my dvd players usb port.most my movies are in avi format.occasionally my dvd player crashes but seems to be working ok.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
_
6. June 2011 @ 08:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
YES AND NO ?

Hard drive option 1. more Convenient { once your Collection is on The Drive } 2. Organized easier -you'll Always know where your Copy of {Attack Of The Killer Tomato's is } 3. Smaller storage area { If your an Afterdawn.Com Member You probably already know What a Large to Gigantic DVD collection Looks Like and how Much space it would take up ? , which is a bit of a PIA if you live in a small house or Cramped apartment !!!! Where a Hard drive or Two Or several even Take up very Little Room Unless your running a server farm or Something? - Hard Drive option The negative ! Hard Drives Crash !!!!! & They also reqiure Electricity to run { unless your running a portable drive off USB power which would still be electricity of some sort. That's the One Benefit Of Dvd's / Physical Media They Don't Crash !!! True they can get Scratched to Hell & Back , They can warp if Left in extreme heat and they can get Lost or Stolen But Then Some of this also applies to HDD's too ! - Is The Hard Drive option a Good Idea/ Valid Option ? Yes Provided You still have Either your Original disc as redundancy ? It would really Suck To have your Entire Collection / Hard Drive Die , Crash or Go up in smoke after you've Sold , Traded or Given away your Original disc !!!! Or as the other afterdawn member said Had another Hard drive with the same data/ movies on it as a backup - And Depending On how big your Collection is This could be expensive ? { More's Law = You can never Be too Rich , Too Thin , or Have Too much Hard Drive space !!!! More is More !!!!!- } Personally I'm More of a Physical Media Guy myself - I like The artwork and being able to see What I'm Playing Read The Cover ect ... But If the the hard Drive Option works for you , Then that's all that counts ? Good luck & hope this helped Even if only in some small way !!! Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FeetZ Up ! Head Down !
Advertisement
_
__

_
gitoy
_
6. June 2011 @ 13:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks guys...

yeah bigtoxy69, i know what you mean about these things taking up a lot of space...i still have a collection of tapes taking up a wall and in several boxes...

anybody else putting their collection in hard drives?...
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > hard drive a viable alternative to media?...

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork