User User name Password  

Tuesday 28.5.2024 / 22:59
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > question on maxell dvd
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Question on Maxell DVD
  Jump to:

Posted Message
rc1489
_
9. January 2010 @ 16:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What can you tell me about the number and letters that are on this Maxell DVD?
DRF60-02261,

Where is it manufactured or the quality of it?

I was looking at this site http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

And i can't make out what class it fits in.
thanks
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
10. January 2010 @ 11:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I doubt those are the manufacturers ID codes.
Probably have to use the likes of DVD Identifier (which is referred to in your link).

As an alternative, if you have ImgBurn installed, it will also list the information.
In the example, this Maxell DVD-RW is coded as OPTODISCW002 and that code shows a number of packaged disks using them.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmed...h+or+List+Media

rc1489
_
10. January 2010 @ 15:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yep , they were made by Ritek, found it on another site--

so how do you find out where they are made before you buy them

guess it doesn't matter long as yoyu buy top end media and your burners recorders supports it. They said good media will last 100 years , junk media maybe 10. interesting

found it here by digging around
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

http://www.shop4tech.com/page177/category/DVD%20Media

tks
AfterDawn Addict
_
10. January 2010 @ 15:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
They said that about wax cylinders and eight track.
scum101
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
10. January 2010 @ 16:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
optodisk manufacture are usually ok.. not great but ok.

rc1489
_
10. January 2010 @ 18:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So you forget about where they are nmade and buy verbs or tyos ?
AfterDawn Addict
_
10. January 2010 @ 19:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Verbatim or Taiyo-Yuden branded packs.
'Creaky' uses a CMC coded disk - but I can't remember which brand it was - PM him and ask.
rc1489
_
10. January 2010 @ 19:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What is branded , only their own?
and
Creaky?
AfterDawn Addict
_
10. January 2010 @ 19:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
http://my.afterdawn.com/creaky/

Verbatim brand disks (most retail stores) and Taiyo-Yuden (mail order in North America) are the only disks that have a consistently reliable rating.
rc1489
_
10. January 2010 @ 19:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
so you have to look for "branded" on those 2?
_
10. January 2010 @ 20:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by rc1489:
What is branded , only their own?
and
Creaky?
Hi, just got your PM, didn't notice this thread before.

I'm in the UK so no idea about US disks, however here's a good a place as any to ask/look ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/715004 as a lot of the regulars frequent that thread.
As to the CMC reference from Attar, i rate highly 'CMC MAG M01' which you'll also see mentioned in that thread. My CMC MAG M01 are all Maxell +R branded, i'm not sure what other companies 'brand' M01's.
I haven't used any -R Maxell's so don't know much about the MID codes that those use.

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 10. January 2010 @ 21:03

rc1489
_
10. January 2010 @ 21:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If i go to a particular site, how do i ask those questions on "branded" or the codes you refer to.?

Not many sites have a lot of details before purchase, i am copying vhs to dvd, but i am going to have to copy these again after transfer it appears to verbs or tyos,

sorry for the double pm i did not think it went through.
_
10. January 2010 @ 21:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My Maxell 16x +R disks 'code out' or have a 'MID code' (ie manufacturer's code) of 'CMC MAG M01' or 'RICOHJPNR03' (though i don't think you can get the RICOHJPNR03 anymore). CMC is the manufacturer of the discs (hence the CMC part of the MID code), but Maxell put their name on these particular ones ie Maxell brand them. I don't know what other companies brand these CMC MAG M01's, suffice it to say i find them to be very good discs indeed.
But as i say i don't know much about the 16x -R variety of the Maxell so can't comment on those.

Basically it's all down to how modern your DVD writer is. If it's relatively new then in theory all modern 16x discs (and a lot of 8x ones) should 'just work'. Verbatim are often recommended as they are very good quality and will have 'MID codes' that most DVD writers can recognise and use (it's the firmware of the DVD writer that contains the information about MID codes and the different burn speeds that any given disc has). So if a DVD writer is quite a few years old it may not be able to recognise or use modern 16x discs, and older DVD writers don't tend to have their firmware updated for too long, the manufacturers would obviously prefer us to keep buying new drives.

As to what site you go to, i was just pointing out a thread in this forum where a lot of the regulars who love discussing media hang out, they have more up to date media knowledge than me, i only ever bulk buy my media and i haven't bulk bought anything for a couple years now thus haven't bothered doing much research in that time as i tend to use just a few brands/types.

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 10. January 2010 @ 21:34

rc1489
_
10. January 2010 @ 22:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks again.
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
1. March 2010 @ 04:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by rc1489:

Not many sites have a lot of details before purchase, i am copying vhs to dvd, but i am going to have to copy these again after transfer .......
You will have a better results if you use DVD+-RW with this kind of job you are doing....since ther burn at 4x on automatic to save many erros: then you can recopy them after to a regular DVD+-R.

Hope this help.

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > question on maxell dvd

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork