User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 05:35
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > forum announcements > new members can no longer post links
Show topics

Forums
Forums
New members can no longer post links
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Page:12Next >
Admin

9 product reviews
_
23. May 2011 @ 08:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
In order to try and reduce the amount of spam we've changed the way new users can post to the forums. This change has been suggested by several members. While its effectiveness remains to be seen, we hope it discourages spammers from posting here.

99% of spam is already filtered successfully. It is, however, nearly impossible to filter out non-automatic spam that is written by people who register to the forums, activate their account, pass anti-spam detectors and write the spam by hand.

From now on new users who try to post links will be taken back to the post page and told they cannot post links. New users are affected only for a limited time. We don't, after all, want to make posting difficult for those that actually wish to use our forums for something useful.

Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com
Advertisement
_
__
pesvesel
_
23. May 2011 @ 12:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
but we can add link into signature ?
_
23. May 2011 @ 13:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
this site seems to get hit with an inordinate amount of spam compared to other sites i visit.hope the change helps.
Nadrian
_
23. May 2011 @ 20:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Cool beans. Maybe I'll visit this place a bit more from now on. Although I do suggest you reduce the font size for the forums, it's, well, massive. And it's annoying having to read posts with such a huge font size. To me, anyway.

_
24. May 2011 @ 00:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Ketola:
In order to try and reduce the amount of spam we've changed the way new users can post to the forums. This change has been suggested by several members. While its effectiveness remains to be seen, we hope it discourages spammers from posting here.

99% of spam is already filtered successfully. It is, however, nearly impossible to filter out non-automatic spam that is written by people who register to the forums, activate their account, pass anti-spam detectors and write the spam by hand.

From now on new users who try to post links will be taken back to the post page and told they cannot post links. New users are affected only for a limited time. We don't, after all, want to make posting difficult for those that actually wish to use our forums for something useful.
thank you thank you thank you Now I can atleast browse the forums without having to weed out the spam. ^_^

Playstation 2-Free McBoot,HDloader 8.0c,Open PS2 Loader 0.7,80gb Maxtor HDD,SMS Media Player,PGen,SNES Station- Installed
GameCube-SDload,SD Card Adapter,BBA Adapter,2 Color Case,GnuboyGX,MPlayer- Installed
DeepMagic
_
24. May 2011 @ 02:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What if I need to post the link as part of a question or something? There are very useful reasons for posting links. I understand your situation but all I have to say is I hope it doesn't get too annoying. Nothing's worse than not being able to get your message across properly.
ps355528
_
24. May 2011 @ 11:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
you don't have to post the whole link.. just www.whatever.net will do it and probably pass the filters as well.

ARR! Them pesky Navy! Get out of my sea!
irc://irc.villageirc.net/afterdawn http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/
Marinab
Suspended permanently
_
21. June 2011 @ 05:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's a safe way for members
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. June 2011 @ 10:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ddp
_
21. June 2011 @ 23:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i banned him this morning but you are right.
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. June 2011 @ 05:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ddp
_
22. June 2011 @ 12:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
banned & hid
KKRULz
_
23. June 2011 @ 01:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Ok! Please make sure you catch only the bad guys!!
Jeffrey_P
_
23. June 2011 @ 02:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by KKRULz:

Ok! Please make sure you catch only the bad guys!!
Good for you.
Also, people who continually generate new nics and or are anonymous should also be limited
Just my $0.02
Jeff

Cars, Guitars & Radiation.
ps355528
_
29. June 2011 @ 06:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

ddp
_
29. June 2011 @ 23:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
spammer spamnmed
ps355528
_
2. July 2011 @ 05:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hehehe.. nicely :)

Admin

9 product reviews
_
2. July 2011 @ 09:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ps355528:
fab .. seems the link disallow isn't as clever as people would like to think.. my site catches these.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-284/i_used_boot_disc_to_play_a_11th_wave_game_but_it_says_in_order_to_play_this_game_u_must_update_ur_360-898702/#5497078
Links in signatures should also be blocked for new members. Will look into this. Cheers!

Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com
ddp
_
21. July 2011 @ 17:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
spammer spammed

2 product reviews
_
12. August 2011 @ 18:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
At least its a start. So much spam or just random non-tech crap has been hitting this site lately its crazy. I use to have this as my homepage at work but I'm kinda afraid to navigate here when I'm near co-workers. Hell the other there's was a topic about someone talking about his penis and a printer. WTF I'm no prude but that sh1t is NSFW

"Cable thief is a victimless crime."
Jeffrey_P
_
12. August 2011 @ 18:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You can thank Hammerhead for the bullshit. I find it funny and amusing at times degrading himself. After awhile it gets old.

He keeps using a proxy server to keep spewing his shit. Every damn morning the same old crap.

The Ask? section should also request a verified registered user before being able to start a thread.

Most forums have that policy so this crap does not happen or eliminate most of the problem.
Jeff

Cars, Guitars & Radiation.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 12. August 2011 @ 18:41

carryone
_
2. November 2011 @ 04:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello! I'm a newbie here and I would like to say thanks to the moderators for cleaning the boards.

I haven't encountered spam here yet. :)
ddp
_
2. November 2011 @ 17:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i still find them & ban them but site admin might want to take credit for most of spam gone.
jamesbi
_
18. November 2011 @ 06:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
why
Advertisement
_
__

_
ddp
_
18. November 2011 @ 16:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
why not.

Page:12Next >
afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > forum announcements > new members can no longer post links

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork