Show topics

Forums
Forums
Mini Dv to DVD
  Jump to:

Posted Message
durutti
_
21. September 2011 @ 20:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A post from the past :p
After so many years using my old minidv camera I have many tapes that it is time to convert to digital..
Problem is that the size of each tape is enormous when i capture them on pc.
The quality already is far from perfect but when I try to encode it becomes even worst..

Can anyone suggest me a way (program) to decrease the size of the video without loosing quality. Ideally I would like to be able to record a 60-90min tape to a DVD...
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. September 2011 @ 13:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There's an active Capture/Encoding forum at Videohelp - I would start there.

http://forum.videohelp.com/forums/10-Capturing
AfterDawn Addict
_
30. September 2011 @ 10:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by durutti:
A post from the past :p
After so many years using my old minidv camera I have many tapes that it is time to convert to digital..
Problem is that the size of each tape is enormous when i capture them on pc.
The quality already is far from perfect but when I try to encode it becomes even worst..

Can anyone suggest me a way (program) to decrease the size of the video without loosing quality. Ideally I would like to be able to record a 60-90min tape to a DVD...
If you are capturing as a DV-AVI file, which is the best, one hour of video will be 12-14 GB on your hard drive. The video will be lossless, meaning it will be exactly as it is on the tape.

If you are serious about keeping your videos at the best quality, then get a large hard drive.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce - Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
Computer: Intel Core i7-920 Nehalim;Asus P6T Deluxe V2
durutti
_
3. October 2011 @ 16:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
so there is no way to make it smaller without loosing quality? even the quality now is not perfect now..
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. October 2011 @ 19:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by durutti:
so there is no way to make it smaller without loosing quality? even the quality now is not perfect now..
Well, you could try converting to divx or xvid, but read up on them, before you make a decision.

Life is good!
X4UCH
_
8. October 2011 @ 09:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Are you set on putting the tape contents onto a computer? I've had better luck putting them onto DVDs and storing them that way. No tape degradation to worry about.
AfterDawn Addict
_
9. October 2011 @ 22:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by X4UCH:
Are you set on putting the tape contents onto a computer? I've had better luck putting them onto DVDs and storing them that way. No tape degradation to worry about.
Do you really think that DVDs don't deteriorate? They most certainly can, especially if you burn to a low quality DVD.

And, how are you putting your movies on a DVD? As data, DVD compliant files, or something else?

Life is good!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 9. October 2011 @ 22:55

scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
9. October 2011 @ 23:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ignore the noob person talks out of the proverbial.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-164...omputer-911065/

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 9. October 2011 @ 23:28

Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
10. October 2011 @ 22:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by scorpNZ:
ignore the noob person talks out of the proverbial.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-164...omputer-911065/
Ahhhh, I see. Thanks, scorpNZ.

Life is good!
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > digital camcorders > mini dv to dvd

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork