User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 17:38
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > digital video discussion for mac users > 100% free dvd burning guide for snow leopard
Show topics

Forums
Forums
100% Free DVD Burning Guide for Snow Leopard
  Jump to:

Posted Message
dvdsnow
_
29. July 2010 @ 08:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This guide is inspired by richream's post on how to burn DVDs on Leopard.

The main problem with the previous guide is that DVD Imager doesn't seem to work, Darwine is no longer available for download, and DVD Shrink doesn't always work properly with Wine's default settings. So, before beginning this guide, download the following software:

DVDRemaster Package (Just like before, all we need is the FairMount app.) NOTE: In order for FairMount to work, you will need VLC Media Player.
WineBottler
DVD Shrink

Optional Step: To keep things organised, I made a subfolder in my Applications folder called "DVD Utilities". This holds Wine, WineBottler, DVD Shrink, and FairMount in one location. If you don't wish to do this, drag/install the apps to the Applications folder.

STEP ONE: Install DVD Shrink.
Drag the Wine and WineBottler to your DVD Utilities folder.
Ensure Wine is running, then open the DVD Shrink Setup executable. In the "What would you like to do with it?" options, select "Run directly in"... the default drop-down selection will suffice. Click "Go". The DVD Shrink setup will run automatically in an X11 window. Follow the onscreen prompts until "Select Destination Location". Click "Browse", select the drive that presents as a "/", then navigate to the DVD Utilities folder. Click "OK", then "Next". You don't want it to create a Start Menu folder or desktop shortcut, so deselect these boxes when they're presented to you. Finish the installer, deselecting "Launch DVD Shrink".

Open Wine Configuration box from it's menu bar icon. In the "Applications" tab, click "Add application...", navigate to DVD Shrink 3.2.exe (you may need to press the up-directory [up arrow] button until you find drive "/" or the Applications folder.) Double-click on DVD Shrink 3.2.exe to select it. Back in the Applications tab in the Config box for Wine, make sure that Windows XP is selected in the "Windows" drop-down menu for DVD Shrink.
Next, click on the "Libraries" tab. In the "New override for library:" box, type "quartz" and click "Add" then "Edit". Select the "Native (Windows)" radio button and click "OK". Back in the Config box, click "Apply" and then "OK".

STEP TWO: Install FairMount and rip the .dmg file.
Mount the DVDRemaster .dmg and drag the FairMount icon to the DVD Utilities folder.

Now, insert the DVD into the disc drive (quitting DVD Player) and open FairMount. Allow it mount the disc, then open Disc Utility.
Select the disc image that FairMount created for you. (The normal DVD will not be mounted, but will still appear in Disc Utility. The FairMount disc will look like a normal .dmg file.) Tell Disc Utility to make a "New Image". Save this with the default options where-ever you like. (For the guide, I saved it to the Documents folder.) Be aware that this step is the longest step in the process. Disc Utility will create a .dmg file in the location you selected.*

STEP THREE: Mount the .dmg file of the disc.
Otherwise, DVD Shrink will not be able to access it. Mac OS X will verify the disc image. This doesn't take long, and I'd recommend you let it finish, but if you're in a rush, you can skip it.
Quit FairMount and eject the original disc (just so DVD Shrink don't get confused).

STEP FOUR: Open DVD Shrink, compress and save as .ISO.
Ensure Wine is running. Open DVD Shrink, selecting "Run directly in". Now, click "Open Disc" in DVD Shrink and select the drive with the disc image (will probably be selected by default.)
Allow the analysis to run, then click "Backup!" selecting "Create ISO Image File" in the "Select backup target:" drop-down menu.
Choose a destination location by clicking "Browse".
IMPORTANT: The default location (drive C:) is nigh on inaccessible from Mac OS X; save it somewhere easily accessible by using the up-directory button.

Click "OK" and let DVD Shrink save the disc image as an ISO file. Once that's done, you can eject the Disc-Utility-made .dmg mount and delete the original .dmg.

STEP FIVE: Burn the ISO file to a disc using Disc Utility.
At this point, all of the apps previously required open can be closed (except Disc Utility).
Open Disc Utility, and select File>Open Disk Image (keyboard shortcut: Option-Command-O). Navigate to the ISO file DVD Shrink made for you.
Ensure it is selected, and click the radioactive "Burn" button in Disc Utility, and wait for it to complete.

Congratulations, if the burn was successful you've just burned a DVD, completely free, entirely in Snow Leopard!

*You may ask "Why FairMount and Disc Utility?" Well, try as I might, I was unable to get DVD Shrink to compress the files when running straight off the disc. Decrypting the disc with FairMount and ripping a .dmg with Disc Utility then mounting allowed DVD Shrink to do so. I have absolutely no idea why.

Thankyou! I hope you've enjoyed this guide.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 30. July 2010 @ 19:21

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > digital video discussion for mac users > 100% free dvd burning guide for snow leopard

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork