User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 16:38
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > copy dvd to dvdr > odd dvd copy problem, on multiple software
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Odd DVD copy problem, on multiple software
  Jump to:

Posted Message
szakara
_
1. March 2013 @ 08:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello all AD folks!

As specified in the topic, I have encountered an odd DVD copying problem, which feels hard to describe in less than a hundred letters.

I have a DVD-format movie, copied on my HDD from the DVD-disc, in VIDEO_TS and .VOB format. I have tried to use several different DVD shrinking, decrypting etc. software, trial, shareware and free software (including several versions of DVDfab, DVD Shrink etc.) to decrypt the movie and cut it down to a size that fits a DVD5 DVD+R disc. Eg. from 7GB to 4,6GB. Which would easily be accomplished by cutting away the extras and multiple audio tracks.

What intrigues me, is that for some reason or another, VLC Media Player seems to be able to play the DVD folder, that includes the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, without a problem ? even though it's just a Windows 7 Explorer copy-and-paste job ? while no other software seems to be able to do that. Not MPC-HC/Media Player Classic, at least not without ffdshow, nor the aforementioned ripper/decrypter/shrinker software.

When run, the aforementioned software seems to process and finish successfully, but can't seem to show a preview of the video, nor produce a watchable result file. Regardless of whether I enable or disable the CSS removal systems, PathPlayers and so on.

The thing I'm wondering is, how does VLC handle the folders/files so differently from the other software mentioned? Why can it play the files while these other powerful apps can't seem to do squat? And could it somehow be helped?

I spent about whole last night trying to google solutions or tips as to how this could be fixed, but no-one seemed to be reporting quite similar issues.

Oh yes, the film is a Nordic release of a 2010 film published by DreamWorks/Paramount. And I'm indeed running Win7.

Thank you for any replies. :)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1. March 2013 @ 08:10

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > copy dvd to dvdr > odd dvd copy problem, on multiple software

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork