User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 17:35
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > copy dvd to dvdr > which transcoding tools produce the best picture quality.
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Which Transcoding Tools Produce The Best Picture Quality.
  Jump to:

Posted Message
brobear
Suspended permanently
_
25. September 2004 @ 22:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Doc,
I'm smart enough to allow the wife to win all discussions when she has her mind set to it. Soph would never believe I would give up quietly, so let's not tell him. ;) LOL

'Brobear'

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -
Advertisement
_
__
_
25. September 2004 @ 23:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well brobear...it looks like you know how to think with both heads.
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. September 2004 @ 05:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Not as much good reading as I'd hoped. I was able to sleep the night the hurricane is just getting ready to strike. The eye is just getting ready to go over me and I'll know at about 1PM how badly I'll be hit. The good side of this is that since this in number 4, all the powerlines have been recently repaired.

"Please Read!!! Post your questions only in This Thread or they will go unanswered:

Help with development of BD RB: Donations at: http://www.jdobbs.com/
_
26. September 2004 @ 05:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I noted the satellite doesn't look to good for you.
You didn't sleep all that long either. I guess it's hard to do in a hurricane.

I figured the political hurricane might take you mind off things but no such luck.
This would be a bad place for that kind of stuff anyway. I might check into the anything goes sections.

Donald
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. September 2004 @ 06:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The eye is just about ready to begin passing over me, it's still a hurricane but I'm hopping it will downgrade to a tropical storm. This is getting tiresome and I'll be gald to see cool weather.

"Please Read!!! Post your questions only in This Thread or they will go unanswered:

_
26. September 2004 @ 06:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Soon it will be ice storms for me. WHeeee!
No power, no heat, and 10 degrees. At least no hurricanes:{)

Donald
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. September 2004 @ 06:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I did that last summer, it was my neighbors trees that was putting on the fireworks show. He eventually lost his line and he was without power for 4 days. Some of the teachers I work with were without power for almost a week.

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. September 2004 @ 07:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Soph would never believe I would give up quietly, so let's not tell him. ;) LOL
Ok brobear I know you're occasionally in touch with your "hummph, choke, gulp, gasp, sigh" gentler side. LOL

Gnomex
_
26. September 2004 @ 07:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The storms are doing more dammage then one would believe hope this is not a pateran in the making.

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. September 2004 @ 08:05

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. September 2004 @ 08:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just heard a tranformer blow across the streat, it crashed my pc. I still have power but I keep losing my posts when the power fluctuates.

_
26. September 2004 @ 08:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ummm...I trust you have an inline surge protector? Last year I lost everything...mobo, CPU and HDD all at once. Word was someone crashed into a nearby power pole.

I now have a BU power supply with built-in surge protection. It was one of those things that was expensive, and hard to spend money on, but definitely cheaper than replacing a whole system again.
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. September 2004 @ 08:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have two APC's with surge protection and insurance.

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. September 2004 @ 08:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Doc

If my PC was to take a dive I'd have a reason to build a new one. Hmmm! Not this time! I installed the new ATI HDTV Wonder on Thursday and the picture on my 22" Viewsonic is awesome.

_
26. September 2004 @ 08:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'll have to check into that one...the ATI. I like the backup PS because it switches on when there's a power failure...and I get a lot of those...and so anything that is in the works keeps on working, like a long CCE encode. It also gives me a reason to switch out a car battery every two years, and not just when it gets to the point of not starting on a cold winter morning.

I thought any kind of power fluctuation could be potentially damaging? Such as not having enough power could cause problems also?
www.zentarium.com

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 13. December 2004 @ 22:41

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. September 2004 @ 09:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Not having eough power will crash the system and so will fluctuations. So far its survived bad weather from 4 hurricanes.

Gnomex
_
26. September 2004 @ 09:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sophocles,

ATI does make some nice TV Cards. I have a TV Wonder Pro. The picture from this card far outsurpasses every other simular card I have seen. I can only imagine how good the HD version of there card looks.

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. September 2004 @ 09:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I expected that the picture was going to be better but it even exceeded that expectation. I'm getting 5 stations with the antenna that came with it and I'm now thinking of getting an external antenna to pickup the other 4 stations that are not coming in that well.

Gnomex
_
26. September 2004 @ 10:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sophocles ,

It sounds like you are using a standard analog TV antenna. Why don't you hook up your cable to it. This is of course if a cable connection is available (NOT Using DSL)..

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. September 2004 @ 10:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Gnomex

Cable is not an option, believe it or not the broadcasted signals carry a wider bandwidth overall and often better picture quality. I just need a better antenna. With a better antenna I'll recevie a PBS (WEDU) station, NBC, CBS, ABC, WD, a local station, and UPN. I'm already getting wedu, nbc, cbs, abc and wd with my HD antenna.

Gnomex
_
26. September 2004 @ 10:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sophocles,

Not the anser I expected. Can you use a powered antenna? I will have to check out what a HD card looks like (in-use).

_
26. September 2004 @ 10:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well...I half expected that answer. There's no reason to subscribe to cable because of the movies they offer. The only other reason would be to get better reception for the news and educational channels. If you don't get that, well... Quite frankly, aside from the news, about the only TV I do watch are things like Discovery, etc.
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
26. September 2004 @ 11:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Gnomex

I have a powered antenna and it doesn't do as well as the HD antenna. For those stations I do get the picture is amazing, no snow of any kind. I think that all TV stations have to be HD ready by 2006. That would mean that I will be able to pick up 9 to 11 HD stations. I will be able to get about 7 right now. I'm going to get a larger external antenna with an actuator, that should be more than enough for my needs. I'm looking at mostly watching the Jim Lehrer news hour, and recording some concerts from PBS.

This thread is closed and therefore you are not allowed reply to this thread.

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > copy dvd to dvdr > which transcoding tools produce the best picture quality.

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork