User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 16:39
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > video capturing from analog sources > connecting an analog video source to a computer
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Connecting an Analog Video Source to a Computer
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
2. June 2007 @ 15:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You might be quicker to give that member who has teh link to wiring diagram a personal message. They may not be subscribed to this thread anymore.

My consoles: Nintendo64>Dreamcast aug/99>PS2 V7-Seagate 400gb hdd-Maxtor 300gb hdd,PS2 V14 FMCB 1.8 - Memor32 >V18 SM 3.6 >DS-Lite-G6DS Real 16GB-R4DS Ultra 8gb SDHC>Gamecube-Original>Wii-Wiikey 2>PSP PHAT CFW 5.00 M33-6>DSi (Kingdom Hearts Edition)-EZ Flash Vi - M3i Zero Sakura>Kindom Hearts:Birth by Sleep PSP 3000>PS3 80GB. WiiU PS4 XBOXONE 3DSNDS
Advertisement
_
__
auto1234
_
6. June 2007 @ 21:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I can not see the diagram ,please can u send it to my email ?
its auto7890@campus.ie

thanks

Originally posted by turkey:
there are many different ways to connect an analog video source to your computer. the method you choose altimately depends on the source and the video capture device you are using. no matter which way you choose, chances are you don't have an instruction manual that shows you how to actually connect the various wires. i think this thread should be dedicated to a discussion of the ways in which analog sources are physically connected to video capture devices, and of course, to the computers we all know and love. if you have graphical representations of your wiring scheme please post them here.

below is a wiring diagram for connecting a VCR to either a computer or an external capture device that in turn connects to a computer. this method is probably the most common and straight forward. at the very least, this diagram should provide an idea of the minimum amount of equipment and materials required for analog video capture. hope it helps...

AfterDawn Addict
_
6. June 2007 @ 21:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Read the rules #10
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

As I said above its probably better to send a private message to the member who originally had the diagram than to keep asking in this thread.

My consoles: Nintendo64>Dreamcast aug/99>PS2 V7-Seagate 400gb hdd-Maxtor 300gb hdd,PS2 V14 FMCB 1.8 - Memor32 >V18 SM 3.6 >DS-Lite-G6DS Real 16GB-R4DS Ultra 8gb SDHC>Gamecube-Original>Wii-Wiikey 2>PSP PHAT CFW 5.00 M33-6>DSi (Kingdom Hearts Edition)-EZ Flash Vi - M3i Zero Sakura>Kindom Hearts:Birth by Sleep PSP 3000>PS3 80GB. WiiU PS4 XBOXONE 3DSNDS
Gn2me
_
4. October 2007 @ 13:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You guys are confusing me. If the media center pc has red, white, yellow cables (in) can't you just use the tv's red, white, yellow cables (out) and hook em together? With the proper capture card of course.
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. October 2007 @ 13:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Gn2me:
You guys are confusing me. If the media center pc has red, white, yellow cables (in) can't you just use the tv's red, white, yellow cables (out) and hook em together? With the proper capture card of course.

With the proper capture card and software as you say it probably should work. At least I don't know why it wouldn't.
If you have this setup, then give it a go and see.

olyteddy
_
4. October 2007 @ 17:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Gn2me:

Huh? What kind of TV has Video Out? Most of the jacks on TVs are inputs. The most common exception would be the occasional audio out.
_
6. October 2007 @ 23:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Dont know if this thread is dead or not but I have a question hopefully someone will answer.I just bought this pc a few weeks ago it is running Vista Which it has a TV/tuner card with outputs in rear and in the front I have rca jacks.How do i get these RCA's to work so I can save Video's to hard drive Or Run A camcorder off it.I've got the cable working.Im running vista home Prem.The tuner card is a AVERMEDIA M791.I cant even find a option for rca input in media center.Thanks

Also here is the specs if this will help.
Operating System
? Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium
Processor
AMD Athlon?64 X2 5000+ (dual core)(AMD LIVE!?)
64-bit processor with AMD64 technology
Operates at 2.6GHz | 2 x 512KB L2 cache | 2000MHz FSB
Chipset
NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE
Memory
2048MB DDR2 Memory, Dual Channel
(2 x 1024MB), 667MHz (PC2-5300)
Expandable to 4GB
4 DDR2 slots (total) | 2 DDR2 slots (available)
Video
NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE integrated graphics (up to 128MB shared video memory)
PCI-Express (PCIe x16) slot available for upgrade
TV Tuner6
Analog/digital TV tuner w/ 3-D comb (PCIe)
Ports: (1) analog TV, (1) ATSC antenna, (1) stereo mini-jack audio, (1) S-Video, plus S-Video to Composite Video Dongle, Vista? Media Center remote control
Audio
8-channel (7.1) high-definition audio
Amplified stereo speakers (USB powered)
Hard Drive
500GB SATA II (7200rpm, 16MB cache)
Optical Drive
16x DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive
Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media
Write max: 16x DVD+/-R, 8x DVD+R DL, 6x DVD-R DL, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW
Read max: 12x DVD-ROM, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-ROM
Digital Media Reader
High-Performance 15-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader up to 40x faster
xD-Picture Card?, CompactFlash I (CF), CompactFlash II, Secure Digital? (SD), Mini Secure Digital? (Mini SD?)7, Multi Media
Card? (MMC), Reduced Size MMC (RS-MMC)7, MMC Mobile7, MMC Plus, Memory Stick? (MS), Memory Stick Duo8, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Pro Duo8, SmartMedia, IBM Microdrive?
Communications
56k ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Interfaces
6 - USB 2.0 Ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
2 - IEEE 1394 ports (1 front, 1 rear)
1 - VGA
3 - Analog inputs (front); Composite Video, left/right stereo audio
1 - Parallel port
1 - Serial port
2 - PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse)
6 - Audio (rear): center/sub, rear (stereo), side (stereo), line-in (stereo), front/headphones (stereo), microphone
2 - Audio (front): microphone, front/headphone (stereo)
1 - RJ-45 Ethernet port
1 - RJ-11 Modem Port
Expansion Slot
Total Available
1 - PCI-E x16 1 - PCI-E x16
1 - PCI-E x1 0 - PCI-E x1
2 - PCI 1 - PCI

Expansion Bays
Total Available
3 - 3 1/2" 1 - 3 1/2"
2 - 5 1/4" 1 - 5 1/4"
Gateway Portable Media Drive Bay

Input Devices
Elite multimedia keyboard
USB optical two-button wheel mouse
AfterDawn Addict
_
7. October 2007 @ 06:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Most TV tuner cards are also capture cards, which you need,plus the software.
My external USB Tv 2 box has the RCA input plugs and then from there I connect by USB to the computer.
I have a JVC Dv-r and can connect it by either firewire, usb or rca to usb adaptor. And my VCR I just connect it to my TV box with the rca jacks.

I am not sure what your model is capable of as I can't find it.
http://www.aver.com/odm/compliance_desktop.html
A couple good places to read.
http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/capture/intro.htm
http://www.videohelp.com/guides/category...ticles-9;53#396

Basically then if you have the right card on your pc with RCA jacks in the front, then you must have the software also installed or you need to have it installed, and it should detect it if you plug something in there, and turn it on.

_
7. October 2007 @ 07:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Basically then if you have the right card on your pc with RCA jacks in the front, then you must have the software also installed or you need to have it installed, and it should detect it if you plug something in there, and turn it on.

Iv'e tried every software I have on here can't find it on nothing.I did find it using nero 8 but when i click the Composite 1 option I just get a gray screen.on the front of my pc it will detect the head phones,mic,just not the rca's.Also i did check to make sure the wires were conected to the tv card.Im gong to try some of those software's from the link you posted and see if they help.Thanks
AfterDawn Addict
_
7. October 2007 @ 08:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Did you try the movie maker also in Vista. I have even used it from time to time. But yes try some other software and see if that works.

_
7. October 2007 @ 09:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well I guess im SOL Called Gateway After being on the phone with them for a hour they dont know why it wont work,They keep telling me to use a usb conection.I know I can use a usb but I have rca in the front and i'd like to use them.They said that it has to be windows compatible or media center which I find hard to believe.As far as recording vcr stuff they said to record it to DVD then put on pc.lol
Guess I was better off searching for this on my own threw the forums.Also Movie maker doesnt detect it either.
AfterDawn Addict
_
7. October 2007 @ 09:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well that does suck doesnt it. Is there any manuals that came with your pc that would tell you what those rca jacks can do in the front.
Otherwise you would be better off with something like this.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...2720&CatId=1428
Or just do a search for external USB 2.0 tv tuner capture on google or ebay.

_
7. October 2007 @ 10:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
YA iv'e got a dvd express kit,I was hopeing I didnt have to use that anymore,would like to do more things like run a xbox threw it camcorder etc.I find it hard to believe that i can plug my camera into my tv's front jacks and all plays fine but a pc running all the latest crap onit can not.Ill look into a diff card like you suggested.And ya no freaking manuals,They wanted to charge me an extra 30 dollars for a backup cd,Worse case I dl it, use the sticker cd key thats on my pc.I bought this pc at best buy.
rocox25
Inactive
_
31. October 2007 @ 20:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have the SAME problem!!! How come i cant use the input RCAs on the front of my gateway? I have a analog video camera, and it doesn't have firewire, only rca to watch it on tv. i want to capture the video on my pc through the rca inputs....but no luck!
xhardc0re
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
9. November 2007 @ 17:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As long as your video card, like 2005-2007 ATI brand, comes with video capture SW it should be OK. Video cards normally only output video signal, they do not have the firmware or built-in codecs to capture video.

i have seen Dazzle Platinum used for capturing from DVD player or tv with excellent results. If you have $$, buy this. do NOT buy the Dazzle dvd recorder. It cheaper, but worse quality results even with high end PC.

my friend took this video with Dazzle Platinum >>>

if you're a college student, do NOT settle with the RIAA http://tinyurl.com/37oz2z

~ SlimPS2 v15US, PSP v3.60FW, TaiyoYuden DVD-R, SwapMagic_v3.6 & BreakerPro 1.1 (No mod)
Writer: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4080N 0G03 SW: DVDDecrypt*r,
lastest Nero Ultra 7 & Alcohol 120% ~
jadeeast
_
11. December 2007 @ 21:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
has anybody figured out how to use the rca jacks on front of their gateway yet
Iamanoob
_
19. December 2007 @ 18:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
OK then don't know if this has been asked before (I havent seen it but if it has accept my apolgies and post the link)

Right, Im not very smart so could someone please explain this to me STEP BY STEP.

I have a Windows Media Centre PC - XP not vista
It has the the S-Video port, The yellow video, and red and white audio ports at the front as well. I have an old analog JVC nicam video which has 2 scarts inputs at the back and the Yellow,Red,White ports at the front of the video.

Now How do I connect them so I can record the video playback on my PC? I also have "Pinnacle Studio 500-USB" but even with that I cannot connect the video to the PC succesfully.

Thanks For Your Help

PLEASE HELP ME COZ IM A NOOB!
BJanko
_
29. December 2007 @ 21:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have this same Gateway running Vista 32 bit. After 4 months of back and forth with Gateway, Geek Squad/Best Buy where I purchased it, and AVerMedia (maker of this capture device), and numerous trial versions of software, I finally talked to a Gateway salesperson who told me how to do this. Yes, this is in lieu of trying to get me to buy something I didn't need. Pretty remarkable and very redeeming for Gateway. Too bad nobody else seems to have known this little known way of getting these ports to work. Here is the secret:

You have to program the TV tuner to believe that your analogue video inputs are coming from a cable box.

First, I had to hook up the remote control that came with the computer and also had to attach the video camera to the remote (even though it doesn't work the camera). Do this by taking the little sticky part of the cable that came with the remote infrared sensor and stick that part on the camera near its infrared sensor, the other end goes into one of the ports on the back of the infrared sensor that goes into the computer's USB port.

Then open Windows Media center and get to the TV set up. You can do this by going to TV and getting to TV set up. However, if you've already set up a TV you have to go into Tasks > settings > TV. Once there you answer a few basic questions (I cancelled out of the TV set up options download). When given the choice, check MANUAL configure. Choose the cable option, then YES that you have a set-top box. Have your video camera ready set up and plugged into the analogue inputs, have it on and playing. Then in the next screen choose one of the composite video settings. Mine worked on composite video 2.

The next few screens have you setting up channels, etc. I just fudged with this and selected channel 2, and one of the other choices (RCA I think), but I didn't really find that this mattered. Once I could see my video playing, you record it by choosing record live TV. Once it's recorded you can open it in Windows Movie Maker and save it as whatever kind of file you like. You can burn a DVD directly from the live recording, or you can burn it from DVD maker.

At any rate, I found that for the simple things I wanted to do, my computer is sufficient and no other software is needed. Also, I do not have my computer hooked up to any other kind of TV. If you do, I'm thinking you probably have to reprogram your TV card every time you want to set up your camera to input directly.

Hope this helps somebody!
jadeeast
_
30. December 2007 @ 21:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Wow, finally! I did what you said and it worked perfectly.Thank you very much.
_
28. January 2008 @ 14:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by BJanko:
I have this same Gateway running Vista 32 bit. After 4 months of back and forth with Gateway, Geek Squad/Best Buy where I purchased it, and AVerMedia (maker of this capture device), and numerous trial versions of software, I finally talked to a Gateway salesperson who told me how to do this. Yes, this is in lieu of trying to get me to buy something I didn't need. Pretty remarkable and very redeeming for Gateway. Too bad nobody else seems to have known this little known way of getting these ports to work. Here is the secret:

You have to program the TV tuner to believe that your analogue video inputs are coming from a cable box.

First, I had to hook up the remote control that came with the computer and also had to attach the video camera to the remote (even though it doesn't work the camera). Do this by taking the little sticky part of the cable that came with the remote infrared sensor and stick that part on the camera near its infrared sensor, the other end goes into one of the ports on the back of the infrared sensor that goes into the computer's USB port.

Then open Windows Media center and get to the TV set up. You can do this by going to TV and getting to TV set up. However, if you've already set up a TV you have to go into Tasks > settings > TV. Once there you answer a few basic questions (I cancelled out of the TV set up options download). When given the choice, check MANUAL configure. Choose the cable option, then YES that you have a set-top box. Have your video camera ready set up and plugged into the analogue inputs, have it on and playing. Then in the next screen choose one of the composite video settings. Mine worked on composite video 2.

The next few screens have you setting up channels, etc. I just fudged with this and selected channel 2, and one of the other choices (RCA I think), but I didn't really find that this mattered. Once I could see my video playing, you record it by choosing record live TV. Once it's recorded you can open it in Windows Movie Maker and save it as whatever kind of file you like. You can burn a DVD directly from the live recording, or you can burn it from DVD maker.

At any rate, I found that for the simple things I wanted to do, my computer is sufficient and no other software is needed. Also, I do not have my computer hooked up to any other kind of TV. If you do, I'm thinking you probably have to reprogram your TV card every time you want to set up your camera to input directly.

Hope this helps somebody!
I'd Like to thank you for this,with this info you provided I am able to get everything running,I even can get my xbox and wii to play threw front jacks,Wii sucks tho to much lag,but anyhow thanks alot.
rmarier83
_
29. January 2008 @ 21:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello eveyone, I am also wondering if there's any good video capturing techniques for this setup:
From a PS2 to my comuter using Component video (not RCA). I want to be able to record my games (I also have a component video splitter) and create video files and store them on my computer (I'm trying to create a game-video guide).

My choices are using a DVR (don't have) or an expensive capture card.
Also, if using Component cables doesn't seem to be a good idea, I guess I could switch back to the old RCA cables.
_
24. March 2010 @ 19:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I used a Dazzle it has the component cables on one side and a usb on the other. I needed to split the connection that I was wanting to capture so that it would also show on the tv while I was capturing it on my computer so I bought a splitter amplifier that makes up to five connections out of the one and it also amplifies the signal so there is no loss in quality of picture.

all together I paid 80 dollars for this. 50 for dazzle at bestbuy and 30 for the splitter. the picture looks good and I don't have any complaints.

_
24. March 2010 @ 19:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by yzrider22:
Well I guess im SOL Called Gateway After being on the phone with them for a hour they dont know why it wont work,They keep telling me to use a usb conection.I know I can use a usb but I have rca in the front and i'd like to use them.They said that it has to be windows compatible or media center which I find hard to believe.As far as recording vcr stuff they said to record it to DVD then put on pc.lol
Guess I was better off searching for this on my own threw the forums.Also Movie maker doesnt detect it either.
maybe ur rca connections are inputs instead of outputs? I use pinnacle to capture the picture I want its a decent enough software but I use a different method than you do...

Advertisement
_
__

_
gizzmo1
_
20. September 2010 @ 11:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by turkey:
there are many different ways to connect an analog video source to your computer. the method you choose altimately depends on the source and the video capture device you are using. no matter which way you choose, chances are you don't have an instruction manual that shows you how to actually connect the various wires. i think this thread should be dedicated to a discussion of the ways in which analog sources are physically connected to video capture devices, and of course, to the computers we all know and love. if you have graphical representations of your wiring scheme please post them here.

below is a wiring diagram for connecting a VCR to either a computer or an external capture device that in turn connects to a computer. this method is probably the most common and straight forward. at the very least, this diagram should provide an idea of the minimum amount of equipment and materials required for analog video capture. hope it helps...

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > video capturing from analog sources > connecting an analog video source to a computer

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork