User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 01:50
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > xbox - hardware mods > upgrading hd on softmodded xbox tutorial
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial
  Jump to:

Posted Message
tgienger
_
10. July 2005 @ 20:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
the only thing you can turn on or off is a modchip or if you put switches on an old bios.
Advertisement
_
__
buzzk
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
15. July 2005 @ 15:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm getting the "hard drive is frozen" message also. I have looked through my bios and can't find where to turn off the security. I don't have access to another PC either. Is there another tool to use to lock the HDD?
SnoopstaJ
_
27. July 2005 @ 17:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I just realized that Taider might be using the Softmod Auto-Installer 2.0, and once softmodded, pressing the eject button while it's off takes you to the UnrealX installation screen, where it gives you the option to "Restore MS Backup." This is what I used and this option is available as long as you haven't deleted the save files off the drive. To unmod it again, of course you have to put the saves back on and press the eject button again, and then "Restore Mod Backup."
skpippins
_
28. July 2005 @ 21:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i tried all your steps was easy but during the install it said it couldnt find the eeprom and or i typed lockhd-a and it said cannot find password.any help would be appreciated thanks skpippins.thats the only problem im having otherwise everything else worked.but i been triing for days now and i really want that large hdd in there
jonbtrini
_
28. July 2005 @ 22:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Make sure you're putting the eeprom.bin file in the proper folder as noted in my tutorial...other than that, i don't know what could be the problem for you...try re-typing lockhd -a when it gives you the error message and see if it will lock the drive...

Intel Core2 Duo, 400GB HD, 2GB RAM
Softmodded 1.6 XBox w/ 120 GIG HD
V4 PS2 w/ HD Loader, 80 GB HD
3xiled
_
29. July 2005 @ 11:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I got the frozen hard drive drive error to. How do i disable this in the bios.
jonbtrini
_
29. July 2005 @ 11:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have no idea how to disable this in the bios, especially since most computers are different in how they handle this. Your best bet would be to try another computer for the locking of the harddrive.
3xiled
_
29. July 2005 @ 11:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I was wondering because i have my hard drive formated and everything if i can use the xbox with out the hd being locked.
jonbtrini
_
29. July 2005 @ 12:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nah it won't boot with an unlocked HD....
3xiled
_
29. July 2005 @ 13:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Is there another way to lock the hard drive. I dont have another pc or does any one i know. Can i use another program or something.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. July 2005 @ 18:58

bassmutan
_
1. August 2005 @ 13:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
These tutorials, for the soft mod and hd upgrade were great. I just softmodded yesterday with a blockbuster copy of mechwarrior, and then attempted the hd upgrade with a 120gb maxtor 7200rpm drive. Everything worked fine per instructions up to the part about the frozen drive issue. The piece of sh*t intel mobo i was using didn't have any bios options for disabling the drive, so I did what any desperate fool would do. I unplugged the power cable , booting only from cdrom, when the linux boot screen came up, where you put 1, 3, ect, i plugged it in carefully. After that, ran lockhd -a, and everything was gravy after. Thanks again. Just be careful, first time, i shorted a connection and shut the whole box down, so be cautious and plug it in quickly.
Lewda99
_
1. August 2005 @ 15:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am using the hdm 1.9 to make a bootable disk to upgrade my HDD and I can get it to boot... but when I choose the first option (boot VGA console etc. etc.) it thinks for a litte while and loads a few files then reboots my computer.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they overcame it. Thanks in advance.
ianio747
_
1. August 2005 @ 16:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
jonbtrini -

I followed your softmod guide perfectly... and it worked my first try. Now I followed you Changing HDD guide, but like someone else I encountered the frozen HDD issue. The message says I have to disable the primary IDE automatic detection... but I have no idea how to do this.

I am using ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard... and when I enter BIOS, I cannot find anything like what the message describes. Also, I do not happen to have another computer to use. Please help!!! Is there a way to make my HDD not frozen???
jonbtrini
_
1. August 2005 @ 16:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Everyone who is having the frozen HDD error message, i am really sorry but even I do not know how to disable this in the bios. Try google search maybe it will tell you? I have two PCs and if one doesn't work, the other does....so i've never had to face this problem...

ianio747
_
2. August 2005 @ 10:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
bassmutan-

First of all, I want to thank you. I re-read the posts on this forum, and saw one by you where you described a frozen drive problem as well. Like you, my BIOS screen didn't have an option to enable/disable the automatic detection of the primary IDE... and I thought I was screwed when it came to completing the Xbox HDD transfer.

I tried your method... plug in the HDD after BIOS boot-up, and sure enough it worked like a charm. Now I sit here with my softmodded Xbox and a 120GB HDD working perfectly.

I again wanted to thank 'jonbtrini' and 'bassmutan' for the very valuable information I used to complete my Xbox project. Happy modding!!!
jonbtrini
_
2. August 2005 @ 12:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Good job Bassmutan! I didn't even see your post....i'll have to remember this for people next time who have the frozen drive error...

Allergen
_
5. August 2005 @ 00:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello, I want to upgrade my Xbox HD from its original to a spare 40 gig I have. I looked it up to see if it would lock, and sure enough it will! I want to maintain Xbox Live playability and keep all of my save files that I have on my Xbox hard drive. I currently have a backup dash that I can reinstall using Softmod Installer Deluxe if needed, will that work on the 40 gig and enable me to play on Xbox Live? Also, the ISO created is far to large for a CD... Could I just copy the EEPROM and C: then dump the E: over FlashFXP? I would highly appreciate help from someone that knows what they're doing, I'm halfway in the dark on this one! If you could help over an instant messenger I can send you my information through a PM... Thanks in advance =)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. August 2005 @ 00:02

Blacklce
_
8. August 2005 @ 20:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm having a bit of a problem. My xbox and FlashFXP are freezing up when downloading my xbox's C to my pc. More specifically its the file C/fonts/Xbox.xtf all other files have been transfered fine but when it comes to this one it will freeze half way throught the transfer. Any ideas as to why? or ways around this.
ianio747
_
9. August 2005 @ 04:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I would try using FlashFTP to transfer the files. Using that program, I have never experienced any kind of problem. I have made 2 or 3 backups each of my C:, E:, and F: drives.

Lets just say I am paranoid and want to make sure I don't lose my Xbox.
Blacklce
_
9. August 2005 @ 13:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nope no luck. My xbox still freezes at this one file. Is it possible to coppy this file from another xbox and use it when setting up my new HDD? or will mine be different than others.
tEChniiQue
_
9. August 2005 @ 16:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@jonbtrini
Good Job. I've sent quite a few towards your tutorial for help and they've all said it was helpful.
destruct7
_
19. August 2005 @ 06:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks, other turorials were more confusing... it took about five minutes to make my new harddrive from scratch (after I had the cd made and stuff connected, but all that took about another 5-10 min).
I decided I would just copy my TDATA and UDATA through ftp to the new harddrive, instead of putting them on the cd b/c they were so big ~2 gig.
now I have 160 gigs so I can show it off to friends

xbl gamertag = destructor7
xbc gamertag = d3structor7

xbox:
-Soft Modded
-160 gig hdd
gli7ch
_
19. August 2005 @ 17:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Very helpful. Thank you for the info!

pz out

Many of xbox's in experimental phases...yes...

hunkre
_
13. September 2005 @ 19:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hey can you if anyone knows tell me the answer to this i have been burning the .iso to my cd-r and wen i go to boot it i changed my bios and when it boots it says looking for media could not find media try again now my question is whats wrong? does it have to be a cd-r/w or can i use the cd-r i created trust me i copeid the right file please help!!!!!

hi
Advertisement
_
__

_
hunkre
_
13. September 2005 @ 19:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
also in addition does anyone know the answer to this? i am useing a 40 gb sony hd(the one included for ps2 from ffxi) can i use this this it seems i can its the same as the xbox one im use ing please tell me ill find out either way lol

hi

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > xbox - hardware mods > upgrading hd on softmodded xbox tutorial

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork