User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 19:32
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > forum announcements > member promotion mechanism is under construction
Show topics

Forums
Forums

Member promotion mechanism is under construction
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
12. May 2006 @ 00:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ah. Dolphin2 you tookme back in time remembering being a 2 digit midget and the longest single didget midget to get out. Cincyrob alls not what it seems I'm a maintenance supervisor and it;s like having 80 wifes with the honey do lists and all the headaches. Sorry went off track on this forum but you gotta blame dolphin2 for rattling the ole brain and California dreamin on those 8 Tracks. Time for a Ireland cup of coffee. Have agreat day. Chris
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
12. May 2006 @ 04:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
well i wasnt in nam(was still in the womb then)sorry dolphin2. i have all the respect for you nam vets. my hats off to you all. but i do remember 3days and a wake up. best phrase yet..lol i think we all are on the wrong forum here now sorry, but every now and then its fun to joke around
_
12. May 2006 @ 16:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Lots of good points have been brought up here.

One method I have always liked on other websites is the "did you find this information useful?" function which I have yet to see being used on an online forum for this context.

Basically, a user can click either yes or no in response to the above question and the results compile in the database or a seperate table which can then be used to rank a user.

If you wanted to take it even further, instead, a user could rate a post as being of a high quality or very useful. (like on a 1 to 5 scale or similar)

I guess one of the problems is that not everyone can be expected to rate posts and some good posters could remain "unpromoted" for some time.

Just a suggestion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer: Intel Pentium D 3.0 Ghz dual core CPU, Philips DVD+-RW DVD8701, 1024MB RAM, ATI Radeon 256MB, Nero 6
Always use good quality blank media. Verbatim is always a good call. Don't be seduced by those 50-spindles you find in the $2.99 bin at your local car wash! :)
brobear
Suspended permanently
_
12. May 2006 @ 17:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
I guess one of the problems is that not everyone can be expected to rate posts and some good posters could remain "unpromoted" for some time.
Which goes to show that most any system is going to be flawed. Most of those who are going to help will do so irregardless of rankings, and those who find rankings important often have a personal agenda not related to helping others. No need to go into psych profiles and petty politics, most of us have seen what happens. A person saying thank you means more than a title under a fictitious name. Personally I think a lot of people should lighten up on the titles and rankings and pay more attention to the interaction with other members and trying to make things more pleasant for all involved. Granted, we'll probably always be plagued by some basket cases, but that's what the mod's are here for.

'Brobear'

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -
dolphin2
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
12. May 2006 @ 18:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sorry about going off topic. Just to many memories.

[img]http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9991/7027vv1.jpg [/img]signature by ireland

Read the Forum Rules:http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
For more help or help now, check out the web chat http://www.adbuddies.org
Please visit: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/386611#2324454
_
12. May 2006 @ 18:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ Brobear

... And I totally agree with you. Too much importance is given to titles in this world and it really should be all about helping others.

However, since such rankings apparently have to be used in the present case, I was merely suggesting a rank promotion system that would, to a certain extent, represent one's ability or willingness to help others in this forum environment.

You're totally right though, a sincere "thank you" just demonstrates it so much better. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer: Intel Pentium D 3.0 Ghz dual core CPU, Philips DVD+-RW DVD8701, 1024MB RAM, ATI Radeon 256MB, Nero 6
Always use good quality blank media. Verbatim is always a good call. Don't be seduced by those 50-spindles you find in the $2.99 bin at your local car wash! :)
brobear
Suspended permanently
_
12. May 2006 @ 19:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I wasn't disagreeing with you on your ranking system. One is needed, just there's no perfect solutions, as you pointed out. Just goes to show that dRD's decision to implement an automatic system is about as good as any at this point. I'd like to see it set up where all members become Afterdawn Addicts after 10 days or 10 posts, whichever comes last. LOL Plus they would have to prove they read the rules and can use the Search function. ;)

'Brobear'

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 12. May 2006 @ 19:15

_
13. May 2006 @ 05:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Heck, most of us are addicted to AD 10 minutes after we find it. Sincerely member status isn't really important to me, I agree that we change from a post count to a simple member since {insert date here}... system. I my humble opinion I feel most AD members spend most of their time lurking and learning (wish I could remember who said that first) Thus, if the post count was removed, the newbies wouldn't be posting in every direction on every thread just to get to Member Status. Heck I see a lot of newbies posts and Junior Member post which originate from people who have been ripping/burning CD/DVD's for years and have far more knowledge than I will ever have, conversly, I see some Addicts who argue with DocTY and Brobear about bad media not being an issue with playback problems.

flyingv
_
13. May 2006 @ 07:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Excellent point!!! I was hooked the first time I sat down to look at the site. Great place to learn and find information I use everyday!!! Thanks Afterdawn and to all those who have taken the time the post their information out there!!!

"...Just another brick in the wall" -Pink Floyd.
Please, don't become another "Brick!!!"
You have a brain, use it!!!
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
13. May 2006 @ 08:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
well anyone that argues bad media with docTY and brobear shouldnt be a member. thats just my view. all the addicts here have there own speaciality( and spelling isnt mine) and each one has helped in there prefered feild with great knowledge and i am more than thankful they are here. i have run across a few who think they know what they are talking about and i get a total different response for the people i know they know what they are talking about and media is not somthing you argue about with these guys......

@brobear.
i think you are a computer genius myself your in the bill gates rhelm.i might need your help soon trying to talk the wife into letting me build my own puter.(oh did i just say that) im wanting duel core stuffetc.... will need some good insight

well thats my promotion point for the day... just ranting guys

Congrats lethalB on your new staff status

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 13. May 2006 @ 08:30

flyingv
_
13. May 2006 @ 13:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
cincyrob,
As a "short-timer", I'd have to agree with you with all but 1 point, Brobear is probally Better than Bill Gates from what I have read on his posts!!! "Bill" is a puppet. Brobear is more than an idealist, he gets into the trenches and works out his own problems where "Bill" hires a team of experts to do it for him!!! You can do that when you are the richest man on the planet and take the credit for it!!! Thanks Brobear!!! I have to give credit where it is due!!!

"...Just another brick in the wall" -Pink Floyd.
Please, don't become another "Brick!!!"
You have a brain, use it!!!
_
13. May 2006 @ 13:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks, cincyrob :-)
brobear
Suspended permanently
_
13. May 2006 @ 15:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks guys, with all the flattery I'll have to remember to be humble; but I'd like to have Bill's money. LOL

cincyrob
Check out this thread. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/138/235934#2005460 We can be talked into discussing PCs and custom builds on occasion. There's some members on there that make what little I know look even smaller.

'Brobear'

DamonDash
Suspended permanently
_
15. May 2006 @ 19:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm okay with the newbie title but i got over 500 post its not going to kill me the site has save me a lot of troble & heart ache.A title is the lease i could worry about.
shadow270
_
16. May 2006 @ 05:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i dont wana be a newbie for ever....

~Shadow~

PSP 2.5>2.71>2.8>1.5>3.02 OE-B>3.03 OE-B>3.03 OE-C>3.10OE-A>3.30 OE
_
16. May 2006 @ 05:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Neither do I... it's kind of like being stuck in limbo. Why not just remove the levels except for staff?
_
16. May 2006 @ 05:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Remember guys, newbie is just a state of mind.

AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
16. May 2006 @ 06:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
is that kinda like "a country state of mind"?lol

Gnomex
_
17. May 2006 @ 07:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Too many individuals consider the title too important. I have found that quality of posts allways is more inportant then quanity. of posts.

For those that need a title. There can be two simple ones "Active or Inactive"

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
_
17. May 2006 @ 08:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
To be fair, some [good] newbies only make enquiries on upgrades because of the three minutes between each post rule.

As ddp says, "teach & learn"; because status aside, that's what it's all about..
brobear
Suspended permanently
_
17. May 2006 @ 20:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I agree. Some people act as though they were born with the knowledge they have and lord it over others. All of us started with a blank slate when it comes to PCs. We all had to learn, though the process is easier for some than others. I've learned a lot by listening and paying attention. Everything I pass on, I learned from someone else, either by instruction or reading (someone had to write the text). So, learn and pass it on is what it's all about, not titles that flatter the ego. ddp is right, a person can learn by teaching, but on the other hand, they should have learned something before trying to teach. ;)

'Brobear'

1 product review
_
17. May 2006 @ 21:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yeah, we shouldn't get too hung up on rank here. Although rank is important in the real world, it doesn't really apply to who you are here, it just states that you're new to one place floating around a vast space of electronic signals. To think that just that has much relevence to you somewhat shows your character outside of this realm.

If Im online, Im usually on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rikorage
brobear
Suspended permanently
_
17. May 2006 @ 21:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Rikoshay
You nailed it. ;)

'Brobear'

NavyRet
Inactive
_
18. May 2006 @ 15:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm not complaining about being a "newbie", I just want to make an observation. It seems that the vast majority of the people who think rank doesn't matter are those who already have a rank higher than newbie. No offense intended here, just stating what to me is obvious. Personally, though, I wouldn't care if I were a "newbie" with 500 posts. The only thing that bothers me is that dang 3 minute wait, but c'est la vie.

Movies are my Life ;-)
Advertisement
_
__

_

1 product review
_
18. May 2006 @ 16:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well, you know, if I really wanted to, I could have been a Senior Member or an Addict a long time ago, but I'd like to stay as a Member a little while longer. I feel I could learn a lot more on other parts of the forum before taking that step.

Also, it is unfortunate that you have to wait 3 mins before your next post, but because people are in a rush to get out of Newbie, are rude, or just don't read the rules in general, everybody else is affected by that. The people you can blame the most for that are your fellow peers.

If Im online, Im usually on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rikorage
This thread is closed and therefore you are not allowed reply to this thread.

afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > forum announcements > member promotion mechanism is under construction

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork