User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 22:24
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > forum announcements > afterdawn.com servers upgraded, timezones implemented
Show topics

Forums
Forums
AfterDawn.com servers upgraded, timezones implemented
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. October 2007 @ 09:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I just seen your response after I changed mine to a private server.
It seems that Hotmail, Yahoo and Sympatico (which is MSN) don't work.
Advertisement
_
__
_
17. October 2007 @ 03:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by creaky:
i can't tell yet whether it's working correctly or not; what i'll do later on is compare any incoming emails to the list of subscribed threads in my profile...
Didn't get around to spending any time on AD last night so haven't properly compared subscribed threads screen to email replies, though i've just worked out the difference in subscribed threads between new and old profiles...

In the old style profile ie before the server moves, in this screen http://www.afterdawn.com/users/my_account.cfm the figures are correct, ie amount of posts, amount of private messages etc, the 'subscribed to threads' figure is 21938, sounds about right. However in this screen http://login.afterdawn.com/settings/ whilst the amount of posts and private messages counts tally up, the 'subscribed to threads' figure is 19090. Not quite the 3000 discrepancy i thought (i'm rubbish at maths) but not far off, 2848 have gone awohl.

Can't check any for emails missing today as work have banned the use of gmail, will see what i can see tonight at home..

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 17. October 2007 @ 03:29

Admin

9 product reviews
_
17. October 2007 @ 04:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
In the old style profile ie before the server moves, in this screen http://www.afterdawn.com/users/my_account.cfm the figures are correct, ie amount of posts, amount of private messages etc, the 'subscribed to threads' figure is 21938, sounds about right. However in this screen http://login.afterdawn.com/settings/ whilst the amount of posts and private messages counts tally up, the 'subscribed to threads' figure is 19090. Not quite the 3000 discrepancy i thought (i'm rubbish at maths) but not far off, 2848 have gone awohl.

The difference comes from the fact that only public forums are included in the count on the new settings page whereas the old page listed all subscriptions. We'll change it back to the way it was done before, because there's really no point in showing it any differently. =)

Did you get a notify of this update?

Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com
_
17. October 2007 @ 04:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ketola - ah i see; that rules out the subscribed totals at as being a problem then.

No, can't receive email updates at work as my company ban all email services except their own, they're so kind to us :) (i just check the subscribed list every now and then to see what's been happening in threads) ..could use my work email address but it's then too easy to stop working for a while; will have to check gmail later this evening, but as i say, some threads yesterday definitely weren't being emailed out.. (or getting to me)

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 17. October 2007 @ 04:49

Admin

9 product reviews
_
17. October 2007 @ 07:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ketola - ah i see; that rules out the subscribed totals at as being a problem then.
We've modified the lists a bit further. You should also see moderator forum threads in the subscribed threads list now.

Jari Ketola
Administrator
_
17. October 2007 @ 08:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Cheers Boss, the subscribed figure now marries up.

Admin

9 product reviews
_
22. October 2007 @ 04:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oops. I see your email address has been bouncing all over the place and your account closed for that reason. I wonder what's going on at hotmail/MSN...

Jari Ketola
Administrator
Phlax
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
22. October 2007 @ 04:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Lol - me gots a screenshot *smug face* :-)

New servers no-likey Microsoft apparently. xD

Edit: Or maybe Microsoft no-likey AfterDawn, heh.

Oh, I forgot...

http://i22.tinypic.com/detyzr.jpg

:-P

Phlax - Still kickin'

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 22. October 2007 @ 04:16

_
22. October 2007 @ 05:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Ketola:
Oops. I see your email address has been bouncing all over the place and your account closed for that reason. I wonder what's going on at hotmail/MSN...
hmmm, all i did was changed from gmail to hotmail yesterday evening sometime..

Admin

9 product reviews
_
22. October 2007 @ 05:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hmmm, all i did was changed from gmail to hotmail yesterday evening sometime..
Hotmail immediately reported that emails to your address cannot be delivered, which caused your account to be suspended. I'm still trying to get this Hotmail issue sorted out.

Jari Ketola
Administrator
_
22. October 2007 @ 06:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
OK, was going to repoint account back to gmail but i'll leave it pointing to hotmail for now, in case it helps your discussions with hotmail

_
1. November 2007 @ 13:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
seems there might be a problem with hotmail rejecting some of the mails . i've temporarily opened a gmail account and pointed AD replies there.
why have it temporary? gmail.com provides a much better quality experience

qazwiz is qazwiz everywhere. If you see me say HI!
_
1. November 2007 @ 13:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
some of those problems may have been due to hotmail and msn making a change that bounces the 11th+ address to recieve the same notification... (on hotmail...)

the fix is to set the max {something} to 10 or less but this will incerase bandwidth usage if there are more addresses than that max number

apparently email systems send out bulk emails by sending the text once and then a list of addresses that are to recieve the text....

hotmail has started rejecting all recipients beyond the first 10.

supposedly to reduce spam, but the fact is that blunt force fixes are a lazy way to irk customers

AfterDawn Addict
_
1. November 2007 @ 14:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If that were the case would it not mean that all users with Hotmail accounts who were requesting updates would be affected, also I gave Afterdawn an alternate Yahoo address and that doesn't work either!

It's odd to me that my problems were co-incident with the changes made at Afterdawn.
_
1. November 2007 @ 14:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by qazwiz:
seems there might be a problem with hotmail rejecting some of the mails . i've temporarily opened a gmail account and pointed AD replies there.
why have it temporary? gmail.com provides a much better quality experience
gmail's ok, it's just that i've always liked hotmail (and am very attached to it) thus if i keep using gmail i have 2 email systems to keep using, which is annoying.

Originally posted by qazwiz:
some of those problems may have been due to hotmail and msn making a change that bounces the 11th+ address to recieve the same notification... (on hotmail...)

the fix is to set the max {something} to 10 or less but this will incerase bandwidth usage if there are more addresses than that max number

apparently email systems send out bulk emails by sending the text once and then a list of addresses that are to recieve the text....

hotmail has started rejecting all recipients beyond the first 10.

supposedly to reduce spam, but the fact is that blunt force fixes are a lazy way to irk customers
is that true ?, hotmail had just been overhauling whatever they were overhauling just prior to AD's server changes, but i don't know what changes hotmail made other than the obvious cosmetic changes ie how hotmail looks etc.
If there is indeed a problem with more than the first 10 recipients being rejected then i'll need to move to gmail or a.n.other...

Originally posted by attar:
If that were the case would it not mean that all users with Hotmail accounts who were requesting updates would be affected, also I gave Afterdawn an alternate Yahoo address and that doesn't work either!

It's odd to me that my problems were co-incident with the changes made at Afterdawn.
are you still having problems attar ?, i noticed today that a couple email replies hadn't come thru (on my work's email address, had changed email notifications to the work address about 1/2 hour previously and had seen replies on the forums and hadn't received email replies for those). i switched my email notifications back to hotmail before i left work; i'm now curious about the alleged 10 mail limit qazwiz just mentioned...

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1. November 2007 @ 14:48

AfterDawn Addict
_
1. November 2007 @ 15:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@creaky
I shall reset my address to Hotmail to test.
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. November 2007 @ 17:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@creaky
I received a thread update notification on my Hotmail account.
I'll assumed the problem has been resolved.
_
1. November 2007 @ 17:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@attar
all that means is that less than eleven people with hotmail addresses recieved that same notification

I suggest you permanantly change your main email address to something else and then forward hotmail there...

if hotmail doesn't allow you to automatically forward mail all the more reason to get rid of it... just use a new system that will POP the mail from your old system...

gmail has the ability but I haven't used it so not sure how or how easy it is.

this is just another reason that I automatically avoid M$ products... and although I have heard some grumblings about Google becoming the "new M$" or "M$ of the search engines" i have only had good experiences with the services that I do not have to download a client to use...

there are a bunch of Firefox add ons available to enhance Google services ... including an add on that gets the same results in the page as that commercial for ask.com... so while ask.com slows you down sending you alot of stuff you won't use all the time... firefox add on can be temporarilly turned off if you want to speed searches up and turned back on when you want your browser fat from the eye candy

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1. November 2007 @ 17:57

_
1. November 2007 @ 17:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@creaky
ABSOLUTELY TRUE
just yesterday or day before I read thread about hotmail's current dung

they denied anything changed until some readers proved it....

find a dozen friends with or have them create, hotmail accounts

from your gmail account copy the text to the star spangled banner or something into a new email...

subject of im testing hotmail's BS

in the address part put all twelve addresses seperated by commas

f@irst, s@econd, t@hird, etc

if you send to twelve hotmail accounts you will quickly get two 512 errors and they will be the last two addresses in the list

note: you could have a hundred other addresses that do not go to hotmail accounts but only the "over ten" hotmail addresses will generate 512's

AfterDawn Addict
_
1. November 2007 @ 17:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@qazwiz
Much obliged for that good idea, however I had cases where some threads consisted of one response (me) and while it's conceivable that another dozen people had silently subscribed to the thread (and it so happened that I was the one who missed out) I don't think it likely and I'm going to wait a little longer to see what develops..
_
1. November 2007 @ 18:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@attar

please tell me: what does hotmail do that is worth the hassle?

AfterDawn Addict
_
2. November 2007 @ 06:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@creaky
No update emails to Hotmail account today.
I am resetting my address to my private server.
_
2. November 2007 @ 06:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@attar, last night i pointed emails to my work email address; this morn hardly any email replies came thru, thought maybe it was just a quiet night.. however in my case it turned out to be because our work's external email was broken... this has now been fixed and loads of replies are now flooding in. Will probably change to gmail when i get home and ditch hotmail for AD use...

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. November 2007 @ 06:38

_
6. November 2007 @ 11:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
update- have stuck to using googlemail since my last reply above, thought i could rely on it as have been getting loads of replies coming in, however today on my rounds i opened a thread that looked familar and i knew for definite i hadn't had an email notification for it; this is the thread in question though the thread itself is irrelevant http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/566793/3522402
- the thread was updated yesterday yet i didn't get an email notification for it.. so something's still not quite right with the emails..

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. November 2007 @ 15:31

Advertisement
_
__

_
_
8. November 2007 @ 20:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yes, I did follow this link to the other and then made my "are you sure" post

I believe the problem is many choices of afterdawns forum (a plus to me but a pain at times)...

do you automatically check the "subscribe this post" box via your preferences? if not then every time you reply the box will be unchecked and if you forget to check it before sending the new comment then the subscribe setting will be reset... here at afterdawn that can be seen by trhe orange bottom tab that either says "unsubscribe the thread" or "subscribe to this thread" but it isn't much different from the other so losing subscribe status could go unnoticed, especially if you get dozens wvwn hundreds of notices like I suspect you do :)

and if you do automatically check the subscribe to this thread box, then it is possible that the box was accidentally cleared when you replied to a post thus unsubscribing to it

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 8. November 2007 @ 20:24

afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > forum announcements > afterdawn.com servers upgraded, timezones implemented

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork