User User name Password  

Tuesday 28.5.2024 / 17:14
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > digital video discussion for mac users > macintosh rip,compress & burn guide
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Macintosh rip,compress & burn guide
  Jump to:

Posted Message
gibson424
_
22. January 2007 @ 13:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I haven't read this entire thread so if this has already been answered I apologize. I've got this master plan to rip all of my dvds to a massive hard drive and then use a Mac Mini with Front Row to access them. I'm using Handbrake for lesser films (comedies like Mallrats don't need to be full DVD quality to be enjoyed) but I can't figure out the best way to rip, say, Star Wars. I've used Mac the Ripper, but it separates the movie into like 6 TS files and I can't play it back without having to select each individual file. Is there a way to combine these files without losing quality? The whole point of this is to have full DVD quality versions of these movies so I don't want to compress them, I just want them to be one single file that I can access.
Advertisement
_
__
malakas07
_
29. January 2007 @ 02:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Alright Guys, I've switched over from Verbatim to Sony's DVD+R DL and I am still having no luck getting burned DL's to play on my XBOX 360. Suck's since my primary player is the Xbox.

My steps are Mac the Ripper and then Toast 7 to burn.

any of you guy's having any luck with xbox 360 playback?

Forgot to mention that just as the Verbatims the Sony's play in some DVD players and not in others.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. January 2007 @ 02:18

darknav65
_
29. January 2007 @ 06:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by gibson424:
I haven't read this entire thread so if this has already been answered I apologize. I've got this master plan to rip all of my dvds to a massive hard drive and then use a Mac Mini with Front Row to access them. I'm using Handbrake for lesser films (comedies like Mallrats don't need to be full DVD quality to be enjoyed) but I can't figure out the best way to rip, say, Star Wars. I've used Mac the Ripper, but it separates the movie into like 6 TS files and I can't play it back without having to select each individual file. Is there a way to combine these files without losing quality? The whole point of this is to have full DVD quality versions of these movies so I don't want to compress them, I just want them to be one single file that I can access.
i use mac the ripper andi can play the movie fine in one piece because i use the dvd player that comes in the macbook and open the video_ts folder and all the files open, not just one.
gibson424
_
29. January 2007 @ 08:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have used that workaround as well, but that doesn't work through front row. the whole point is that i want to use front row to watch the movies without having to launch DVD player and open the TS file.
aaron_rip
_
29. January 2007 @ 08:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Okay, so I followed the guide. I'm using MTR 2.6.6 and Toast 7 (no compression software because the file is only 262MB). I'm only trying to make a DVD copy of just 1 chapter. I've thoroughly read the MTR pdf manual for extracting individual chapters, but to no avail. When I play it with DVD player I get a system error: "could not detect a valid media file -70001." Tried several times. Also tried dragging the VIDEO_TS folder into Toast under the video>DVD video from VIDEO_TS and it says "this is not a valid VIDEO_TS folder, it cannot be selected." Tried multiple DVDs, and different extractors (OSeX, DVDBackup 1.3) for the heck of it. What am I doing wrong?!?!?
SnoogansJ
_
8. February 2007 @ 05:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Great GUIDE!!
All is working well and I am able to get everything do as needed....yet I was wondering my blank dvds can hold more than just one DVD sometimes (i think...)

Does ANYONE know of a way that I can put two DVDS onto one? I'm going to sacrifice a blank right now and just put them together, however I don't think it's gonna work. Anyone with advice. To help further...I'm taking 2 discs from the season of a show (4 episodes on each) and trying to mash them together. I fear it will not work. Let me know!
~SnoogansJ!
davehyatt
_
8. February 2007 @ 07:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Snoogans, see the last post on pg. 20 of this forum. I have not this myself, but I believe this question was already answered by terryx on that page. Hope this helps. Also, be aware you're going to lose a significant amount of quality of the videos by cramming them onto 1 disk.
Masters90
_
9. March 2007 @ 16:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm interested in buying one of these programs, but I'm confused as to what I should use. I use MTR of course but from there I don't know if I should invest in both DVD2One X to compress then toast to burn or if I should just buy toast to do both the compressing and burning. How is the compressing quality on Toast? I've heard both good and bad, do I need DVD2One X for good quality or would I be all good to go with just Toast?
_
10. March 2007 @ 00:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've found the compression done under Toast to be too much of a sledgehammer approach. DVD2One has far more control, automatically adjusting the amount of compression to how much data to be fitted.
Just as important (to me) is the control over WHAT you extract once you've done a full disc MTR rip. DVD2One allows you to pick out the movie only, or specific episodes from a TV series, or each layer separately (great when you have a visually great quality movie they have split over two layers so as not to degrade quality and you want to keep that quality by burning each layer to a separate disc), and even down to specific chapters and cells. If you do much work ripping and burning, then without DVD2One, you have no flexibility.
malakas07
_
10. March 2007 @ 06:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by malakas07:
Alright Guys, I've switched over from Verbatim to Sony's DVD+R DL and I am still having no luck getting burned DL's to play on my XBOX 360. Suck's since my primary player is the Xbox.

My steps are Mac the Ripper and then Toast 7 to burn.

any of you guy's having any luck with xbox 360 playback?

Forgot to mention that just as the Verbatims the Sony's play in some DVD players and not in others.

Hey guys fixed my problem

So for you guys using an Xbox 360 as your main dvd player.

try this.

Booted up XP using Bootcamp.

Installed AnyDVD and CloneDVD.

Verbatim disc.

Works like a champ.
ichamandy
_
18. March 2007 @ 18:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I used Mac The Ripper to rip a DVD. It created a VIDEO_TS folder that is 4.13 gigs. When I tried to use Toast to burn it, I got an error message that said:

Sense key = medium error
Sense code = 0x73, 0x03

It doesn't tell me anything else. I got the same error on two different blank DVDs. Why can't I burn this DVD?

Thank you!
juniorz
_
19. March 2007 @ 02:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thank you, thank you, thank you for the guide. However, being new to all this, am having problems. Decrypted movie using mactheripper, then used dvdxdv trial version to edit clip. Playback on preview was fabulous. Playback on extracted clip was very poor (I'm prepared to make allowances for the fluorescent trial label across the video, but the wobbly image behind was extremely disappointing). I have quicktime, but can't seem to make any use of it, except as a player.

would appreciate any advice
_
19. March 2007 @ 06:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The Mac DVD recorder is getting feedback as it burns. I've had this message many times with a bad lot of spindle blank DVDs, telling me the blank medium has not burnt properly ( hence MEDIUM error - get it?. Try using a Sony disc.

terry
_
19. March 2007 @ 06:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
juniorz- why not with DVD player?
Anyway, try burning it to a disc then playing back - dx recordings with iDVD don't look good till after they are burnt.
ezyemail
_
13. April 2007 @ 14:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
is there another burning program to use with mac the ripper other that dvdtoone? its expired and want a free program that will shrink and burn before i pay for DVD2One

thanksa

R.I.P. BLOCKBUSTER
Ippala101
_
24. April 2007 @ 15:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hey guys,

i am trying to back up my copy of marie antoinette. mac the ripper wont rip it so I am trying to go the Disc Image route. I used DVD Imager to create the image and then tried to burn using disk utility (although I don't know if I did this correctly - i burned the .img file that was created through DVD Imager). Everything seemed to work fine - DVD Player on my mac recognized the disc and even asked if I would like to play from the last position. When i clicked yes an error message popped up saying "DVD Player cannot read the disc - it may be dirty or scratched" What am I doing wrong?
o2012o
_
29. April 2007 @ 22:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm using the 3.0 beta on a macbook pro 2.2ghz (core 2 duo), and every time I open it there is an error and closes. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yessss...
stjoe3282
_
15. May 2007 @ 16:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey, Great tutorial. I followed it to the letter but the disc I ripped compressed and burned is all audio no video...any advice?

JM
coleman79
_
9. June 2007 @ 12:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Firstly, thank you for this tutorial. It has been very very helpful. But alas when I thought I was complete I ran into a problem. I have been burning my DVDs using: MactheRipper---DVD2OneX---Toast Titanium.

They play perfectly on my powermac G5, but for some reason when I try to play them on a standard DVD player there is no audio. I verified that the Audio TS folder is on theDVD. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you in advance!

"Everything you can imagine is real".-Picasso
clayalley
_
12. August 2007 @ 09:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thank you so much for this guide. I am following along but have yet to burn a dvd. I have an eMac running 10.3.9 (just upgraded from 10.2.8) have an external dvd drive ( Sony DRX-830UL-T and just bought Memorex Dvd+R double layer 8.5 GB. Have Mac the Ripper installed, NTI Dragon Burn and trial version of DVD2One. Now from reading the posts, I just ordered Toast 7 (Circuit City.com has it) since Toast 8 requires 10.4..... and still cannot burn anything with either the NTI Dragon Burn or the Toast 6 Lite that came with the burner. Am really getting frustrated.

Don't know if I have the right burner - or the right software - or the right dvd media. Total newbie Any help, guidance would be appreciated.
_
12. August 2007 @ 22:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
When you say " can't burn anything". what actually happens? - do you get an error message from Toast 7 or does it hang or just ignore the file you're trying to select?
I no longer have my Toast 7 manual, but I would check that it does burn double-layer discs (I would presume that it works with DVD+R discs as well as DVD-R. Why are you using DVD+D - as I understand, they are best for storing data, and DVD-R best for movies.)
Secondly, does your external Sony recorder work with DVD+R discs and/ or DVD-R, and does it burn double-sided (layer) discs?

Why not try buying a pack of 5 cheap DVD-R from a supermarket (or DVD+R if you've made sure that's the medium of your external recorder) and try burning something one-layer and see what happens.
_
12. August 2007 @ 22:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The cheap DVD-R discs I suggested you buy: I implied by "cheap' that they should also be single-layer discs. - just wanted to be clear on that.
clayalley
_
13. August 2007 @ 09:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks terryxpre for answering me! Actually I just ordered Toast 7 over the weekend and have not received it yet. I am hoping to receive it towards the end of the week. Had a dickens of a time finding the Revision 7 and not the new Toast 8....

as for the Dvd+R discs.... I bought them on the recommendation of another group who were discussing the video over 4.7 Gig and whether or not to compress them when several said to just get the Dvd+R discs.... Wish I had read the whole thread here before I did. Now I know. But of course, I am out the $70 but I guess I will use them for something.

Yes, according to all the paperwork (and the writing on the box) the Sony dvd burner is supposed to burn Dvd+R discs and all sorts of discs. I will buy some Sony dvd-r discs and wait till the Toast 7 software gets here to see how it goes. Is there no other burning program that is as good as Toast 7? At least for me to try my burner? I have not been able to burn anything with it yet so I don't even know if it works! What about this NTI Dragon Burn program? Anyone ever used it?

I would love to just make sure the darn thing works before the 30 days are up so that I can either keep it or return it and get something else. Of course, I would have to ask you all what you would recommend for that!
clayalley
_
13. August 2007 @ 12:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
terryxpre - can you look at this dvd burner and tell me if I got a good one or not? http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ductId=11039011

Model Number: DRX-830UL/T
External Multi-Format DVD Recorder
Record hours of music, video and images at blazing speeds to DVD for Windows® and Macintosh® with the DRX-830UL/T external, multi-format DVD burner.

Or if this one is better: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20W...ing/MRFWU2D112/

I have the Sony one. and as I was telling you - I have not been able to burn anything yet although I have NTI dragon burn software.

Any help, guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
13. August 2007 @ 21:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Both are good brands per se, but there's no doubt here : send the Sony back and grab the Pioneer!!!!!!!!!. If I were buying a new external recorder, I doubt I'd find another brand to out-do that model. Morevoer, it burns dual layer so you won't have wasted those discs!

In all the forums, different people have their own favourite pieces of software. Some people rave about Handbrake, which I hate. When it comes to burning CDs and DVDs, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Toast is the best. I've been using it since Toast 5. I remember the first CD I ever burned - it was so simple, and quick, I picked the disc out of the computer tray and walked into the living room to play it on my surround system, quite sure that it wouldn't work - it had been TOO simple and easy. I was amazed.
With Toast 8, I have been able to put my entire collection of the music CDs I've burned separately over the years (mainly for playing in the car), onto ONE DVD with no obvious loss of fidelity, and some elementary authoring so I can choose which 'CD' on the DVD to play.
When using your new Pioneer, in general, use DVD+R discs for storing data (archiving old documents, photos and pictures that take up space on your hard drive) and DVD-R for video. Use DVD-RW discs when you want to 'try out' some video you're working on to check eg its video quality if you've compressed it - that way, you won't waste a disc in experimenting. Toast has a quick erase feature (abouut 15 secs) that will scrub the old ready for the new.
If you're planning on backing up a whole movie disc, extras and all, it would be well over the 4.3GB and need more compression I would be happy with because of loss of picture quality. As you've found out, dual layer discs are expensive but for a 6+GB movie, may well be worth it. You're other option is with DVD2One, and burning the movie to one disc, and extras to a separate disc. I wrote a 'tutorial' on using DVD2One in some thread in this forum - I'll try to track it down and post the name of the thread to you.
Hope this clarifies it for you.
Terry

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > digital video discussion for mac users > macintosh rip,compress & burn guide

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork