User User name Password  

Sunday 9.6.2024 / 08:34
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > verbatim datalife plus (ink printable surface?) - weak top
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Verbatim DataLife Plus (Ink Printable Surface?) - Weak Top
  Jump to:

Posted Message
no[i]se
Inactive
_
10. April 2002 @ 16:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a really bad experience with this CDR. There is no complain on the dye but the top surface is very weak. Here in Hong Kong, the average humidity is 80% and so I place the CDRs together with dehumidifiers. However, the disk surface is rather "sticky" and it attaches to anything: plastic CD folders, white CD paper bags, other CDs, etc., in contact after two months. No matter how carefully I pull them apart, there will be bubbles and the surface will come off with the reflexive layer.

I bought them in 50-piece sprindle and there is a white label only:

Item: Verbatim CDR 74min Bulk
P/N: 41720
Qty: 50pcs

And the ATIP info follows:

ATIP: 97m 34s 20f
Disc Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Chemicals Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 654.49MB (74m 30s 00f / LBA: 335100)
Advertisement
_
__
BillyG
_
11. April 2002 @ 13:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The top of the Verbatim DataLifes are very thin, I dont know why they are not more durable. Not only do they show fingerprints really well (dont be eating greasy food or potato chips and pick one up), but the coating can be peeled off if you accidently spray CD cleaning fluid on it.

I had a freind who had this happen when he used a Discwasher CD cleaning machine and cleaned the wrong side! Luckly it didnt damage the CD-R and I was able to copy it. I suggest using labels or switching to another brand. Verbatim makes color CD's that have a painted on top that are more durable.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 11. April 2002 @ 13:10

fallen_br
_
6. May 2002 @ 07:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've got one of those same discs, and in the beginning all was OK, but now, one year after burning, the top really did become very sticky, and the top looks like it will come off if something adheres to it.

Also, there is a little hole in a part of the top cover and the metal can be seen through it.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 6. May 2002 @ 07:26

andavari
_
11. May 2002 @ 09:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yeah these CD-R's have horrible tops. One solution that I've used is to use another label on top of the factory one for extra protection.
no[i]se
Inactive
_
14. May 2002 @ 15:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Good suggestion! Let me try.
fantasy
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
18. May 2002 @ 04:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I also live in Hong Kong, the weather is very troublesome .... would you also suggest me some brands that work good in such weather ?
Thank you . ^^

(Thank you no[i]se, the info is very useful
and sorry for out-topic)

hello everyone, nice to meet you

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 20. May 2002 @ 02:09

no[i]se
Inactive
_
18. May 2002 @ 06:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
(sorry, cd-rw.org, it's a bit out-topic.)

That's 24x/32x (only found in SSP basement)
Ricoh 24x/32x (cheapest in "Direct Sale Shop", ground floor, SSP)
Samsung Premium 24x (many places, ~same price)
Mitsui 16x (only found in Gin Sin, ground floor, SSP)

For causal copies, I use Sky, Imation Encore, Sohot, Yamaha KHS, Whao, etc....
vipera
_
5. July 2002 @ 12:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I purchased two different spindles of verbatim valuelife with the plain white tops. First one was mitsubishi and ive had no problems with them. Second spindle were CMCs and just recently (6 months after burning) the backs have started flying off in my car cd player. So far 2 discs have done this and a third has a small flake out of it.
cd-rw.org

4 product reviews
_
6. July 2002 @ 00:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So CMC is bad from both sides =)

The old school is back. All hail the new http://BitBurners.com !
Advertisement
_
__

_
vipera
_
8. July 2002 @ 23:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
haha, yup
in my experience with CMCs ive had about 10% failure rate and slow read speeds on any that did burn successfully
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > verbatim datalife plus (ink printable surface?) - weak top

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork