User User name Password  

Sunday 9.6.2024 / 00:58
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r for advanced users > which dvd burner do you suggest?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
which dvd burner do you suggest?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
zerohr
Inactive
_
26. April 2002 @ 16:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am new to burning dvd's. I want to know if I should wait for the larger (more than 4.7) format to come out? (is there one?).
Or should I get a HP, sony, pioner or panasonic? Well I hope there is a clear prefered drive that you can suggest.
Thanks in advance for your help.
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
27. April 2002 @ 00:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There wont be a larger DVD discs, probably ever. This is because existing recordable DVD formats don't support dual layer usage, which allows studios to stick 2x as much data on DVD than what you can burn to DVD.

But if you're referring to next generation blue-laser DVD technology, you have to wait probably two years before it picks up really. One Blu-Ray disc can contain appx. 27GB per side, but those discs wont be compatible with DVD drives and players we have nowadays.

For existing formats, there are three formats currently (and their respective subsets):

DVD-R (DVD-RW):
This is supported by Apple and most of the drives you see are manufactured by Pioneer -- latest model is Pioneer DVR-A04 and you should be able to find older A03 for relatively cheap price right now, since Pioneer released their A04 very recently and retailers need to clear their stocks and sell the rest of the A03s. A04 sells for appx $450 right now.

Positive side in this format is that discs are extremely cheap, less than $2 a piece for DVD-R media in U.S. And obviously DVD-R discs work nicely in most of the DVD players.

DVD+RW (DVD+R):
Mostly supported by Philips and HP. Discs cost more than DVD-R discs, but are rewritable -- the DVD+R format/subset which was recently introduced, is write-once which HP hopes will push the blank media prices down (also, DVD-R camp has their rewritable format called DVD-RW). Discs are supported by most DVD players.

DVD-RAM:
Not compatible with anything -- DVD-RAM discs can't be even read with regular DVD players or DVD-ROM drives. Useless, originally meant to be a floppy replacement, but luckily the whole format is dying.

DVD-R(W) drives can read DVD+R(W) discs and vice versa, but can't write to other format's discs.

(so, I don't hand out opinions about drives, just the basic facts :-)

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster
https://AfterDawn.com/
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r for advanced users > which dvd burner do you suggest?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork