User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 07:23
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > blu-ray players > the complete hd (blu-ray/hd-dvd) back-up thread.
Show topics

Forums
Forums
The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
16. April 2008 @ 15:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by EMC4ever:
Ryu77 thanks for this great thread. I've been searching the web for a couple weeks and this is by far the most comprehensive collection of HD back-up info available. All your responses in other threads have been very informative.

I'm in the process of buying a PS3 (40Gb) and upgrading my computer (I currently have a E6600 OC'd to 3.2ghz) and I want to make 720p DVD's playable on my PS3 from 4.4gb mkv files, which are readily available on the web.

From my understanding all the mkv files need to transcoded/re-encoded to play. And the transcoding process makes the files slightly larger and won't fit on a DVD5. So they need to re-encoded at lower bitrate, which takes hours. Am I right so far? Has anyone tried to overburn the trancoded files on to a DVD+R? They can typically hold 4.6gb. LINK

Alternately, if the overburning doesn't work. What type of computer system do you recommend for the conversion process? I have a core 2 duo now, but I'm considering a Q6600, E8400 or Q9450. Does the re-encoding programs take advantage of SSE4 and the quad core? And how long does it take a 2 hour movie to re-encode.

thanks again.
Go quad core! Using Nero recode it takes about 2-4 hours to recode a 2 hour movie. No hiccups while running other apps either.
Advertisement
_
__
omega379
_
22. April 2008 @ 23:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Here is my input and output for a file that has no video.

General #0
Complete name : K:\Movie Software\Work file\movie
Format : Matroska
File size : 7.95 GiB
PlayTime : 1h 34mn
Bit rate : 12.1 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2008-03-31 13:51:05
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Cover : Yes / Yes / Yes

Video #0
Codec : AVC
Codec/Family : AVC
Codec/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Codec profile : High@L5.1
Codec settings, CABAC : Yes
Bit rate : 10.0 Mbps
Nominal bit rate : 10.6 Mbps
Width : 1920 pixels
Height : 822 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 2.35
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Progressive
Title : 1920x822 @ 10558 Kbps
Writing library : x264 - core 58 r786M aa5391a
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / me-prepass=1 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=6,4 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=10558 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.6:16.0
Language : English

Audio #0
Codec : DTS
Bit rate : 1536 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 24 bits
Title : DTS Core 5.1 @ 1.5 Mbps

General #0
ID : 1
Complete name : K:\Movie Software\Work file\Movie
Format : BluRay Video
Format/Family : MPEG-2
File size : 7.77 GiB
PlayTime : 32ms

Video #0
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
MenuID : 1 (0x1)
Codec : AVC
Codec/Family : AVC
Codec/Info : MPEG-4 AVC

Audio #0
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
MenuID : 1 (0x1)
Codec : AC3
PlayTime : 32ms
Bit rate mode : CBR
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

omega379
_
23. April 2008 @ 11:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by RYU:
How to convert a Blu-ray disc to BD-25, DVD-9 or DVD-5:
Is there a picture guide for this it would help me out alot.I'm about to buy BD-ROM drive is this all i need as far as a need for a drive or do i need a BD-Buner drive?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 23. April 2008 @ 20:36

Silver2k
_
25. April 2008 @ 22:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
When changing the 'level' of a blu-ray file shown here: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/...ation_3_ps3.cfm
Will it affect/degrade the quality of the movie itself?
_
26. April 2008 @ 07:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Silver2k:
When changing the 'level' of a blu-ray file shown here: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/...ation_3_ps3.cfm
Will it affect/degrade the quality of the movie itself?
No, it just makes it playable in the PS3

5 product reviews
_
26. April 2008 @ 16:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
tsMuxeR has been updated to v1.8.4(b). It now accepts srt subtitles as input! :-D

"Great minds discuss ideas... Average minds discuss events... Small minds discuss people"

PS3 compatible video creation thread... mkv2vob, tsMuxeR etc.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809
The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346
_
26. April 2008 @ 16:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Ryu77:
tsMuxeR has been updated to v1.8.4(b). It now accepts srt subtitles as input! :-D
"Bout friggin time. That's good news
_
28. April 2008 @ 15:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Second Option.

1) Extract the Blu-ray folders to your HDD via AnyDVD HD.
2) Start tsMuxeR and browse to your main movie file (BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts).
3) Demux the desired audio and subtitle streams (don't worry about the video).
4) Create a script in AVIsynth: DirectShowSource("D:\YOUR_BLURAY_VIDEO/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts")
5) Load the AVIsynth script into MeGUI and use the MeGUI Blu-ray profiles as linked to in the links section ^ or here: http://www.mediafire.com/?f1zgyj5mn3n. I would suggest MKV as output format.
6) Load new h264 (in MKV container) created from MeGUI along with the other audio & subtitle streams you want to keep into tsMuxeR.
7) Save new m2ts media file or output Blu-ray folders to burn to disc.
Can we get a picture guide for this? I have searched goggle & yahoo & can't find one. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 28. April 2008 @ 15:43

5 product reviews
_
28. April 2008 @ 20:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by NexGen76:
Second Option.

4) Create a script in AVIsynth: DirectShowSource("D:\YOUR_BLURAY_VIDEO/BDMV/STREAM/00000.m2ts")
5) Load the AVIsynth script into MeGUI and use the MeGUI Blu-ray profiles as linked to in the links section ^ or here: http://www.mediafire.com/?f1zgyj5mn3n. I would suggest MKV as output format.
6) Load new h264 (in MKV container) created from MeGUI along with the other audio & subtitle streams you want to keep into tsMuxeR.
Can we get a picture guide for this? I have searched goggle & yahoo & can't find one. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I thought that the steps were quite self explanatory. I have started a MeGUI guide which I hope to extend to a full guide explaining the above conversion in more detail. The only problem is I am working many hours lately. I recently made a career change. I am now working in a large Audio/Visual electrical appliance store and I am dedicating all of my energy to becoming the best that I can in my new choice of career. In my first 2 weeks in the store (having never worked in a retail electrical appliance store before) I have sold about $75,000 worth of A/V equipment myself. So needless to say, I can see a bright future here and that is certianly my highest priority at the moment.

I will continue to work on a guide in my spare time but I can't give any indication as to when I might complete this. I actually have a day off tomorrow for the first time in a while, so I plan to have a good crack at my guide tomorrow. I can not guarantee it's completion though. I'm sorry if this disappoints you but I also feel that given a little patience and dedication that you should be able to complete the above process without photos. Instead of looking for a guide, you could also try doing research on each of the applications I have mentioned. That way you could become familiar with each individual application and that inherently will make your efforts a much smoother process.

"Great minds discuss ideas... Average minds discuss events... Small minds discuss people"

PS3 compatible video creation thread... mkv2vob, tsMuxeR etc.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809
The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. April 2008 @ 05:00

SupDuper
_
29. April 2008 @ 19:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

First Option.

3) Select the streams you want to keep and save new m2ts media file or output Blu-ray folders to burn to disc.

Second Option.

Hello,

I have some Region A concert Blu-ray discs that I want to watch in my Region B PS3. Can I achieve that using one of these methods?

Thanks!

5 product reviews
_
30. April 2008 @ 00:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by SupDuper:
Hello,

I have some Region A concert Blu-ray discs that I want to watch in my Region B PS3. Can I achieve that using one of these methods?

Thanks!
AnyDVD-HD will remove any region coding.

SupDuper
_
30. April 2008 @ 09:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by SupDuper:
Hello,

Thanks!
AnyDVD-HD will remove any region coding.
I see... So, using the procedures you announced, I could rip the Blu-Ray disk to a single file that the PS3 could read, right?

Guess, I'll have to find a Blu-Ray drive for my PC and an external Harddrive for my PS3, then. :)
_
3. May 2008 @ 23:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Okay I'm at the point i need to encode my video.I'm using Nero recode but my video is(Blu-Ray) VC-1.What do i need to do to get Nero recode to see my video file so i can encode it?

If i put my(Blu-Ray)VC-1 file into Mkv would this let Nero see the file & let me encode it.I have tried RipBot264 but for some reason my files come out to small after encoding & i have tried Megui but i can't use that program.So Nero is my only source i can use to encode my video....Thx.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. May 2008 @ 03:23

5 product reviews
_
4. May 2008 @ 06:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by NexGen76:
Okay I'm at the point i need to encode my video.I'm using Nero recode but my video is(Blu-Ray) VC-1.What do i need to do to get Nero recode to see my video file so i can encode it?

If i put my(Blu-Ray)VC-1 file into Mkv would this let Nero see the file & let me encode it.I have tried RipBot264 but for some reason my files come out to small after encoding & i have tried Megui but i can't use that program.So Nero is my only source i can use to encode my video....Thx.
MeGUI is your best choice. Learning to use it would be rewarding. However a workaround with Nero Recode is that you will need to learn how to frameserve with AVIsynth. For some strange reason though when you try to open a AVIsynth script directly from the Nero Recode browser, it won't work. You will need to drag and drop the script into the Recode window.

5 product reviews
_
4. May 2008 @ 06:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by omega379:
Here is my input and output for a file that has no video.

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / me-prepass=1 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=6,4 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=10558 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.6:16.0

Your video file has used too many reference frames. Your only option is to re-encode the video.

Ryu77 thanks for this great thread. I've been searching the web for a couple weeks and this is by far the most comprehensive collection of HD back-up info available. All your responses in other threads have been very informative.

I'm in the process of buying a PS3 (40Gb) and upgrading my computer (I currently have a E6600 OC'd to 3.2ghz) and I want to make 720p DVD's playable on my PS3 from 4.4gb mkv files, which are readily available on the web.

From my understanding all the mkv files need to transcoded/re-encoded to play. And the transcoding process makes the files slightly larger and won't fit on a DVD5. So they need to re-encoded at lower bitrate, which takes hours. Am I right so far? Has anyone tried to overburn the trancoded files on to a DVD+R? They can typically hold 4.6gb. LINK

Alternately, if the overburning doesn't work. What type of computer system do you recommend for the conversion process? I have a core 2 duo now, but I'm considering a Q6600, E8400 or Q9450. Does the re-encoding programs take advantage of SSE4 and the quad core? And how long does it take a 2 hour movie to re-encode.

thanks again.
Thank you for the compliments. I do try to help as much as I can. It's in my nature to help others.

As Odin said, a quad core will encode a lot faster. I remember someone stating that they had the x264 codec running through MeGUI and it was using 100% of all four cores. :-)

I would not recommend overburning as from what I understand it could potentially damage your drive.

_
4. May 2008 @ 08:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

thanks again.
Thank you for the compliments. I do try to help as much as I can. It's in my nature to help others.

As Odin said, a quad core will encode a lot faster. I remember someone stating that they had the x264 codec running through MeGUI and it was using 100% of all four cores. :-)

I would not recommend overburning as from what I understand it could potentially damage your drive.
I do have a quad core, a 2 hour movie using AVISynth/Megui takes about an hour and a half.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. May 2008 @ 08:23

_
5. May 2008 @ 07:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ryu, or anyone that can help.

I want to try the Blu Ray profile for MeGui but I'm not sure what to do with this file or where to put it:

x264_hrd.patch file

I tried using the profile once but an error came up saying "C:\Program Files\megui\tools\x264\x264.exe: unknown option -- nal-hrd"

And what is the difference between the two profiles SA BluRay and SA BluRay Fast?

Thanks,

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. May 2008 @ 07:40

5 product reviews
_
5. May 2008 @ 09:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by odin24:

I want to try the Blu Ray profile for MeGui but I'm not sure what to do with this file or where to put it:

x264_hrd.patch file

I tried using the profile once but an error came up saying "C:\Program Files\megui\tools\x264\x264.exe: unknown option -- nal-hrd"

And what is the difference between the two profiles SA BluRay and SA BluRay Fast?

Thanks,
Odin, you need to put the extracted xml profile files into the profiles/video folder in the MeGUI installation directory. The difference between those two profiles is that one is optimised for speed, the other for quality.

If you want to use a profile that has been tweaked for even higher quality, you can download my Blu-ray profile here: http://www.mediafire.com/?cwfmxomah0r.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. May 2008 @ 09:13

_
5. May 2008 @ 15:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

x264_hrd.patch file

Thanks,
Odin, you need to put the extracted xml profile files into the profiles/video folder in the MeGUI installation directory. The difference between those two profiles is that one is optimised for speed, the other for quality.

If you want to use a profile that has been tweaked for even higher quality, you can download my Blu-ray profile here: http://www.mediafire.com/?cwfmxomah0r.

Thanks Ryu, but you didn't address my first question; What do i do with the x264_hrd.patch file?

EDIT: I just realised it doesn't really look like a question... but it was. Come on man... what's wrong with your mind readin' skills!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. May 2008 @ 15:32

5 product reviews
_
5. May 2008 @ 18:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks Ryu, but you didn't address my first question; What do i do with the x264_hrd.patch file?

EDIT: I just realised it doesn't really look like a question... but it was. Come on man... what's wrong with your mind readin' skills!
I don't understand exactly what you want to know. That file is the actual x264 encoder, it's not a profile file. You need to point to it in the MeGUI "Settings/Program Paths" tab.

Back to the profiles, extract the XML profile file then place it in the "profiles/video" folder and you will be able to select that profile from the video section on the main window in MeGUI.

_
5. May 2008 @ 18:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

I don't understand exactly what you want to know. That file is the actual x264 encoder, it's not a profile file. You need to point to it in the MeGUI "Settings/Program Paths" tab.

Back to the profiles, extract the XML profile file then place it in the "profiles/video" folder and you will be able to select that profile from the video section on the main window in MeGUI.
I have the three profiles loaded, megui sees them. I have the x264.exe path configured, that was never an issue. I don't understand what to do with the x264_hrd.patch file. I try to encode a mkv video using your profile but I get an error saying "Unknown Option: nal-hrd"

I grabbed this from a different forum on the same topic, does this have to do with what I'm trying to do. If so I have no idea what it means.

Quote:
svn co svn://svn.videolan.org/x264/trunk x264
cd x264
wget http://lists.videolan.org/attachs/20070107/x264_hrd.patch
patch -p0 < x264_hrd.patch
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-debug --enable-pthread
make
make install

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Is there a patched version of x264.exe or do I have to apply the patch to the current version(rev839)?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. May 2008 @ 18:42

5 product reviews
_
5. May 2008 @ 23:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Odin, I would recommend running the update function in MeGUI and/or downloading the latest versions of the MeGUI core and the x264 encoder.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. May 2008 @ 23:51

_
5. May 2008 @ 23:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Odin, I would recommend running the update function in MeGUI and/or downloading the latest versions of the MeGUI core and the x264 encoder.
I think I have the latest x264 and whenever I try to update in Megui everything fails to download... could that be that Windows is blocking Megui from accessing the internet (just thought of that while typing). I gonna check that one out after work... 7am EST 5/06.

What is the latest version MeGUI?
_
6. May 2008 @ 07:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I stil cannot get MeGUI to automatically update, oh well. I just went to http://megui.org/auto/, this is where the update feature pulls is files from. So now I have the absolute latest version of x264.exe and it's running fine.

Thanks once again!
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
6. May 2008 @ 22:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

x264_hrd.patch file

Thanks,

THANKS-A-MILLION RYU!!!

Using Ryu's MeGUI Blu-Ray profile I just created a FLAWLESS AVCHD DVD9 with 2 audio streams (DTS, AC3) and subs (srt). Not only that fast forward, rewind, and chapter seek works perfect. I used tsMuxeR and Nero Burning ROM as well.

I can't wait for your guide... sorry to put you on the spot.

afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > blu-ray players > the complete hd (blu-ray/hd-dvd) back-up thread.

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork