User User name Password  

Sunday 9.6.2024 / 04:28
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > what are the good brands of cd-r out there?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
What are the good brands of CD-R out there?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
tcwas
_
5. March 2006 @ 06:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Is it the same as the DVD-R brands such as Verbatim, etc?
Is HP ok?
Advertisement
_
__
_
5. March 2006 @ 17:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The 2 I rely for CD's are Made in Japan Fuji and Maxell. I have Maxell's that are at least 5 years old that still play great. I would say yes to Verbatim and no to HP.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Do not click this link...
piano632
_
7. March 2006 @ 17:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Very best brands of CD-R:

Mitsui / MAM-A (Silver or Gold) - a bit pricey though.
Taiyo Yuden (Maxell PRO discs made in Japan are Taiyo Yuden).

HP discs aren't so good any more. Back in the days of 12x-16x CD-R, HP discs used to be Taiyo Yuden most of the time, but now I think they use Philips.

Verbatim discs are pretty good, but not quite as good as MAM-A or TY.

Kodak & Ricoh discs are also excellent, but are hard to find these days.
jizznax
_
14. March 2006 @ 08:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
TY are the best cd-rs in the market in my opinion. But I think Prodisc and Ritek are great too and its easier on the pocket book. Found a new cd-r vendor recently, some of the best prices I've seen so far. http://www.burnsmart.com.
noname5
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
19. March 2006 @ 01:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Verbatim cdrs are inconsistent. I just got some that are cmc- poor quality.
_
19. March 2006 @ 07:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@noname5
Same thing just happened to me w/ verbatim cd-r's - cmc. Was not to happy when I id'd them. I'll stick w/ my mij Fuji (usually Taiyo Yuden) and Maxell.

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Do not click this link...
AfterDawn Addict
_
25. March 2006 @ 18:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
HP LightScribe CDs are Verbatim ...

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate . . .

26 product reviews
_
25. March 2006 @ 20:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
personally i trust to the large mark and they are always been > tdk, maxell and sony.
AfterDawn Addict
_
25. March 2006 @ 20:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i keep tdk and memorex away from my burner

crf450r
_
28. March 2006 @ 01:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i got some hp litescribes and they are cmc mag junk
JoeRyan
_
28. March 2006 @ 15:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
How do you know they are junk?
crf450r
_
6. April 2006 @ 15:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
in my burner they won,t burn well enough for ps2
and skippy on audio cds in the truck <some times disk error>
maybe compatability issues with my burner
but since i saw that cmc mag id i figured that was the problem
they lightscribe fine
my drive is a benq 1655
do you find the hp cmc mag lightscribe cds to be good ?
daman1
_
6. April 2006 @ 16:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Fuji "MIJ" always!!!!!...............
JoeRyan
_
9. April 2006 @ 18:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The only media manufacturers to offer LightScribe are CMC, MBI, and Verbatim. There are other brands, but those are the only licensed manufacturers so far. My testing has shown all three to be good quality CD-Rs with MBI lagging only slightly in consistency. CD-R discs can be hit or miss with car stereo players, and it is very difficult to find out what the problem is. Years ago Panasonic's 3-beam lasers could not read Kodak CD-Rs that were among the best ever made. The single beam readers were fine, and everyone else's 3-beam players worked. We never could figure out why that combination didn't work; but Matsushita switched to different diode/lens system, and the problem went away.
crf450r
_
10. April 2006 @ 21:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
good to know
I have gotten some verb litescribes and they work fine
but i think i will go back to regular cdr
i normaly use sony/ty
what speed do you burn your hp/cmc mag at?
i have like 17 left to play with
AfterDawn Addict
_
11. April 2006 @ 04:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just purchased 300 Verbatim LightScribe? CD-R discs yesterday from Best Buy .. (30/$12.99) and they're all made by CMC Mag ... They record SVCD great and the labels burn just fine although using my HP740, I have to burn each label twice to meet my critical expectations ...

JoeRyan
_
11. April 2006 @ 15:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I always record at a speed below the maximum rated speed. A 52X CD-R will see 32X; a 16X DVD+/-R will see 8X. There is often--but not always--a reduction in errors if the dye is not overburned, and the life of the laser diode is extended by not running it at its highest power and heat level.
AfterDawn Addict
_
11. April 2006 @ 19:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I always burn my music Cds at 16x (the slowest my writer allows) and I burn VCD and SVCD at 16x also ...

Really odd about the LightScribe? CDs ... I purchased 120 HP LightScribe? CDs that were made by Verbatim (not MCC, but Verbatim) and I purchased 300 Verbatim LightScribe? CDs that were made by CMC Magnetics, not Verbatim ...

The CMC Magnetics made CDs seem to record video better than the Verbatims ...

noname5
_
16. April 2006 @ 14:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I loved the mij Fuji's but they're hard to find. Most say Taiwan. And buying online makes checking impossible.
piano632
_
16. April 2006 @ 15:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
MIJ Fuji's are made by Taiyo Yuden. So if you can't find MIJ Fuji's get Maxell PRO or some other TY discs.
cgl88
_
8. July 2006 @ 05:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
HP, Fuji, Yamaha CDR's have been without any problems.
Sony works well, but I've had problems reading MP3 disks for a panasonic player.

I have an important question!!! :)
What happened to the days where CDR's were made with darker dye (versus yellow/gold/faint green)? I cannot find them and if they still exist, what brands make them? My car can only play Fuji CDR's with the dark green dye.
hhoppur
_
9. July 2006 @ 11:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hi im new afterdawn but they have helped me alot so i thought maybe this would help i have tried every name dvd media i could find in my area and the only one that worked best for me was dynex iv'e backedup over 300 backups with this brand and have not lost one disk my burnier is liteon i buy them from bestbuy DVD+R.i hope this helps someone.....
AfterDawn Addict
_
9. July 2006 @ 12:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
i have tried every name dvd media i could find in my area and the only one that worked best for me was dynex
Why on earth would you recommend DVD media in a thread titled:

Quote:
What are the good brands of CD-R out there?
. . . and, in a couple of years when those crap Dynex discs no longer play, you'll be crying the blues and wishing that you had used better discs which are almost everything else . . .

cgl88
_
10. July 2006 @ 04:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
For media quality, remember..you get what you pay for! Stick to brand name!

Back to my question:
What brands of CDR's still make media with with darker dye as opposed to yellow/gold/faint green?

I know Fuji does this but not all. I don't want to buy a spindle only to end up with the faint dye version.
Advertisement
_
__

_
piano632
_
10. July 2006 @ 06:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I don't know of any brand that has dark colored dye any more. I'm not sure if the reading laser can even "see" any difference in dye color. It must be some other reason, but you might try the Black Diamond discs which are black on the recording side.

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=...
http://store.run-pc.com/prodbrangrad6.html

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > cd-r(w) media > what are the good brands of cd-r out there?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork