User User name Password  

Sunday 9.6.2024 / 00:00
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r for advanced users > vob uses (newbie question)
Show topics

Forums
Forums
vob uses (newbie question)
  Jump to:

Posted Message
btgordon
Inactive
_
4. June 2002 @ 23:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok this may sound stupid but I have been doing a lot of reading here and havn't seen this answered

#1 is there any way of playing the vob files once u have ripped them to your hard drive?

#2 I know exact duplicates of a store bought movies dvd can not be done, so does this mean, that the target dvd-r disk that plays in your stand-alone dvd player, will not have vob files in it?

#3 If the prevous is true why can vob's be dumped back on to the dvd-r and viewed(assuming disk space wasn't an issue)?

# Is the last place you see vob files, when they are on your hard drive in step one of the dvd to dvd-r process?
Advertisement
_
__
mscogna
_
5. June 2002 @ 09:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
#1 VOBrator will do the trick.

#2 False, exact duplicates can be made depending on DVD content. Also, if larger then ~4.3gb, you can split to 2 dvd's and put all the extras on the 2nd dvd.

#3 refer to #2
#4 Files are ripped to HD, processed, and written back to DVD blank.
btgordon
Inactive
_
5. June 2002 @ 09:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok thanks you for that, very useful

So if i have lets say a 4GB DVD movie with the css protection. When I end w/my DVD-r copy are they .vob files? And do i always need to re-author, if i want to have my chapter options etc?

mscogna
_
5. June 2002 @ 13:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
When you rip the DVD using SmartRipper, etc.. the protection is removed. You will have .IFO, .VOB and .BUP files. You can elect to keep menus or not... It depends on what you want in the finished product. I just processed a movie that I wanted the extras for, so I split to 2 DVD's, put 15 of the 18 chapters on the first DVD and the last three chapters on the second DVD along with all the extras. Each DVD starts with the menu.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. June 2002 @ 13:32

btgordon
Inactive
_
5. June 2002 @ 16:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
aw..gotcha..makes sence, now to keep the menus, and extra's does that mean you need to re-author?
mscogna
_
6. June 2002 @ 06:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am not sure of what you are referring to when you say re-author, but basically, you use IFOEdit or something similar to keep or strip what you want. Some movies I have stripped away everything including annoying FBI notice and Rating Screen so that the movie starts immediately when you put the DVD in.
eon
_
6. June 2002 @ 10:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
When I use smart ripper I get the .IFO and .VOB files but no .BUP files. What are .BUP files??? I'm new to this and am finding it very hard to get info on how to burn DVD to DVD!
Joost_B
_
7. June 2002 @ 13:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
eon, .bup files are just backup files of the ifo files, so just copy your ifo files and rename them to .bup and you have 100% compliant bup files
Advertisement
_
__

_
eon
_
7. June 2002 @ 14:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks mate :)
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r for advanced users > vob uses (newbie question)

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork