User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 23:24
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > afterdawn feedback & suggestions > what does it take to become a afterdawn addict ?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
what does it take to become a AfterDawn Addict ?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
15. April 2007 @ 00:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i was wondering what it takes to become a AfterDawn Addict ? besides a whole bunch of posts and replying to threads, i would think that it would meen that you would have a lot of knowlege on quite a lot of different areas of software and how different programs work? right? i would like to get some feed back on this, thanks
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict

6 product reviews
_
15. April 2007 @ 02:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It does mean u have knowledge but it is knowledge gained by reading and replying and making posts.

Edited by DVDBack23

"the mediocre teacher tells. the good teacher explains. the superior teacher demonstrates. the great teacher inspires."- William Aruthur Ward
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 02:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As far as I'm aware, it used to work that you only made senior and addict by vote from mods and other addicts - that way only the very knowledgeable made it etc.

Now that aD has the auto premote, you have to post over 2500 posts (out of the safety valve) to reach addict. Knowledge should no longer be taken as red just because someone is an Addict. That's the problem with the auto premote..

janrocks
Suspended permanently
_
15. April 2007 @ 04:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yup.. I saw an addict the other week, fresh out of the console wars who didn't know what a stick of ram looked like, or how to change it.

Anyway, what does a title matter. Unicron1.. one of the best hardware electronics people I know is only a n00b.. he doesn't care. We know what he can do.

I like being a senior.. It fits with my view of myself.. Older and skilled. With a wide range of knowledge in many areas, but still happy to learn about what I don't know, even if it doesn't have any immediate use. I usually thank somebody for adding something I didn't know (or have forgotten)

What I hate.. People who jump up shouting that "they know it all" and they have done the impossible. Like running XP on an xbox emulator.. hahahaha.. even gave me a screenshot of the phoenix project proof of concept.. which most xbox modders have seen.. It's a desktop simulation. it doesn't work.. but the kid insisted it was fully functional. muppet! Started shouting abuse when he was pulled up about the technicalities, and that his "guaranteed" guide didn't work, stalled at the first hurdle.. formatting a partition. What a choker.. :lol:

But back to your question.. a title means nothing.. The other senior members and addicts (the worthwhile ones) know who deserves the title.. Good posts, quality content, the guts to disagree with rubbish, and a general desire to save people money and help them get the best from hardware/software.. That's what it takes.
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 04:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I agree ^^

I would be more than happy on the forums as a member, as opposed to addict. I'm an addict (and reasonably quickly at that - few months over a year), but I am no way as knowledgeable as an addict should be, IMO. My areas of knowledge as not broad enough, etc.
But anyway, I'm not going to sit here and slag myself off, merely trying to strengthen Jan's point about title's not mattering. What matters is the quality of your posts etc, and as Jan said, with that comes reputation that a title cannot match!

deadlove
Suspended permanently
_
15. April 2007 @ 05:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I don't think it's worth the effort. This site is full of stupid idiot children. That is why I post nothing to help anybody. They are not worth the effort wasted on them.

Backtalk and abuse. That is all afterdawn has become. my 2c
The_Fiend
Suspended permanently
_
15. April 2007 @ 05:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
But, aren't you guilty as charged as well then, as far as backtalk and abuse is concerned ?
[edit] for that matter, aren't most of us guilty ?*especially me*[/edit]

irc://arcor.de.eu.dal.net/wasted_hate

Wanna tell me off, go ahead.
I dare ya !

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 15. April 2007 @ 05:59

onya
Suspended permanently
_
15. April 2007 @ 05:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Being promoted through the ranks via mods or addicts votes, would always be sweeter, at least you would have earned it. Myself...I'm just happy shedding the nOOb status. Bring back the vote and no more "muppets"...LOL

@Ripper
Quote:
What matters is the quality of your posts etc, and as Jan said, with that comes reputation that a title cannot match!

You just can't beat goodwill....that's for sure.

@deadlove, did you really mean to say that? or did someone give you a really hard time? Either way, that's a woeful attitude.

_
15. April 2007 @ 06:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by onya:
Bring back the vote and no more "muppets".
- absolutely 100% agree

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
onya
Suspended permanently
_
15. April 2007 @ 06:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@Creaky. Can't you use your powers of persuasion with the "boss"? And perhaps make it retrospective...LOL
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 06:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
as i said and posted b-4 have a rank above AfterDawn Addict
like (Super AfterDawn Addict MA} MA means mod approved

to get to that rank it must be voted on per the mods....
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 06:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I may be wrong, but I don't think many of the english mods have much contact with the admins. Also, it's not rly down to them at the end of the day.

I'm sure if it was bagered for enough though, the system could be brought back..

ddp
_
15. April 2007 @ 07:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ripper, we have contact with admin when we or they need to.
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 07:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yeah, I know that you have contact, but I meant on a day to day basis talking about all things AfterDawn :-)

Auslander
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 07:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i don't think there's that much to talk about. :-P

AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 07:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Lol! Well, you don't know that ;-P

"How's the weather in Finland?"

:-)

Auslander
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 09:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

they're plotting against you, jack.

AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 09:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Will smith or the robots? Possibly both..

Hmmm >.<

/me runs away

Auslander
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 09:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
they're all out to get you, jack. everyone. the only one you can trust is me, the voice in your head telling you to kill them all. :-P

AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 09:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Oh, that's alright then! :P

Auslander
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 09:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
but back to the original topic: what does it take to become an addict? honestly, not much, these days. the autopromote was in place when i joined, so i'm not really familiar with how much better things were before, but i can tell you right now that with posts in the safety valve excluded, life is better.

however, console kiddies with no real maturity or intelligence manage to rise through because they can figure out how to do a few things on a console and think that's enough. i think console posts should only count as half a normal post or something...maybe that would help.

_
15. April 2007 @ 09:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Another good thing about bringing back the vote is it might stop the stamped to post. Quite often I've seen an interesting thread title which I would like to add to, only to find page after page of repeated advice and replies. Whats the point in that?
Auslander
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 09:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
people are dumb. this is TEH INTERNETZ OMFGROFLMGLOLLERSKATES!!!LAKSHGOAWEPG. any retard with a finger...or a tongue...and a connection can post. going to a vote won't stop the retards from posting, it will just make rank more appreciable again.

AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 10:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm still all in favour of an introductory "you need an IQ above that of an amoeba to register" test!

Edit: Spelling, duh!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 15. April 2007 @ 10:01

Advertisement
_
__

_
Auslander
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. April 2007 @ 10:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
the problem lies in that people with no knowledge won't be likely to join if they can't post, and thus they don't learn. but then again, i wouldn't consider this a problem for the community.

i would feel bad for the mature, intelligent, non-techie that comes here seeking assistance and follows all the rules; it's too bad there's far more smacktards than these, though.

it's a complicated, undesirable situation--that's for sure. there's no clear solution.

afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > afterdawn feedback & suggestions > what does it take to become a afterdawn addict ?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork