User User name Password  

Monday 10.6.2024 / 06:55
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > video capturing from analog sources > putting vhs tapes on dvd for dummies
Show topics

Forums
Forums
putting VHS tapes on DVD for dummies
  Jump to:

Posted Message
clock
_
1. October 2003 @ 02:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am looking at putting my VHS tapes on DVD without any cutting and pasteing.just straight to DVD.Is there a simple one step solution.
how do I know what firewall or tv card I need ??I have no idea on any of this
All I know is PC has 32M/B intergraphics
& onboard sound.
Any HELP much appreciated.
Advertisement
_
__
Oopsla
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
1. October 2003 @ 13:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I bought the ATI All-in-Wonder w/tuner 9800 pro board. It is a dream, I can record and burn DVs of TV shows along with piping in vcr material. There are many other boards, but I do not know about them.
There is always a little work involved in setup.
_
2. October 2003 @ 10:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
For Oopsla - I was wondering what software are you using for editing and burning, and also what OS? Thanks.
Praetor
_
12. October 2003 @ 19:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
I am looking at putting my VHS tapes on DVD without any cutting and pasteing.just straight to DVD.Is there a simple one step solution.

I doubt it.

Quote:
All I know is PC has 32M/B intergraphics & onboard sound.

Your capture/encode will be painfully slow and potentially have messy results.
Quote:
For Oopsla - I was wondering what software are you using for editing and burning, and also what OS? Thanks.

Windows2000 and beyond should be fine. There's nothing wrong capture-wise with W98/WME its just that they are inheirently unstable and that is an added strain on your capture process. Also, most capture cards come with software for capturing, you might consider VirtualDub, WinVCR, Premier etc. Heck Nero Vision Express can do it (although i STRONGLY DISCOURAGE using that program as it is terribly unreliable).

ASUS A8V Deluxe, A64-3500 @ 2.65
1GB KingMax PC3700
640GB [4x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
XFX 6800GT 256MB
Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
mon1y
_
13. October 2003 @ 19:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a similar question. My VHS tape movies that I want to convert to DVD run 2 hours, how will I make it fit on the DVD+R if it is only 4.3G. I'm using Videoh! DVD converter to my laptop. Small project is ok (15 mins) but I'm curious how to squeeze those 2 hrs into DVD. Appreciate the answer.
domer
_
14. October 2003 @ 02:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
whats the best and quickest way of putting vhs onto dvd and whats the best software to use
many thanks
Praetor
_
14. October 2003 @ 07:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You might get some more detailed answers if you ask up in General Video Discussion as it gets more visitors generally but....
1. DVDs should easily be able to hold 2hrs of video... im not up to date on DVDs (since i hate them), if i remember correctly, they can hold like hours upon hours of video.
2. What format did you want to convert the VHS to? (DVD-Video, AVI files, etc)

ASUS A8V Deluxe, A64-3500 @ 2.65
1GB KingMax PC3700
640GB [4x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
XFX 6800GT 256MB
Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
domer
_
14. October 2003 @ 07:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i want to do dvd-video format i want to know the quickest and best software to do this please any idea thanks
mon1y
_
14. October 2003 @ 11:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Actually I was just trying to figure out which ever format is best - either AVI or MPEG2. But I will try to post my question at the appropriate forum like you said. Thanks.
venprods
_
15. October 2003 @ 02:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The best - if you don't want to edit - is to buy a stand alone unit. If you want to keep the best quality, you should use 1 hour mode !
topgazza
_
15. October 2003 @ 06:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have just coverted 30 VHS tapes to DVD with excellant quality results. I use WinFast PVR , which came with my video capture card to record the tape to DVD PAL. Tapes of under 100 mins will usually fit straight onto DVD (allow 4.2 gb max)otherwise use a compression program I use TMPGEnc which is slow but good, then write to DVD I use Ulead Movie Maker. I have had some problems but generally it works fine but it IS time consuming

topgazza
mon1y
_
16. October 2003 @ 12:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Topgazza,

Right now looks like my DVD is holding less 40 mins worth of VHS scenes. Here's what I did and tell me what I did wrong:
1. I capture the VHS tapes using Sonic MyDVD that came with the Adaptec VideoOH Converter to my laptop.

2. then I edit it using the Arcsoft's Showbiz.

3. after that I just burned it using the MyDVD to my Sony 500ULX DVD burner.

Appriciate your answer. I'm really green in this.
topgazza
_
16. October 2003 @ 13:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The trick is the compression. Say for example a 120 min film comes to 5.0gb when recorded onto the hard disk. Using TMPGEnc you can custom compress to PAL (16.9) MPEG format. You can then use the bitrate setting, by dropping it, to reduce the file size to under 4.2gb. This is a safe size and gives the DVD a bit of space. I've just done Jurassic Park- The Lost World @123 mins. Its perfect. Be warned the compression can take 6-8 hours and I would strongly advise doing nothing else on your system whilst this is going on. Overnight is good.

Quality is VHS of course but still pretty good as thats what the source is. I have had to drop the rate quite a bit on some films and still the picture quality is acceptable.

You have to get TMPGEnc Plus, there are others but this is my personal fav as its so simple to use. Not sure where you would get it from but it is freeware. Type in TMPGEnc in Google or go to www.downseek.com/download/21222.asp.

hope this helps but I am sure there are plenty of other guys here who can advise as well.

topgazza
clock
_
17. October 2003 @ 04:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
topgazza,

that is the video capture card you are using.DO you use normal av leads to run from vcr to capture card

appreciate the help
topgazza
_
17. October 2003 @ 04:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I use a WinFast TV and video capture card. really picked it out of the list on www.ebuyer.co.uk. There are plenty of others but this one is a TV tuner as well as a radio tuner and analogue capture card....and its a good price.

I have tried all connection methods whilst the best, just, is the S-video/Scart one they are very expensive leads to buy. You still need to use a separate audio lead as well so I use a composite video/Scart lead with audio lead. Just as good IMO. If you are forced to use the "aerial" out of the Video to the card the quality is noticably worse so I wouldn't bother. I bought my , quality, comp lead from Currys of all places for £19. As long as your video has a scart out socket you will get good quality.
sigpop
_
13. November 2003 @ 06:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i have the winfast tv 2000 xp deluxe and want to record from vhs. unfort, my vcr and vid cam are both somewhat ancient. they dont have any s-video output--only rca jacks.

the card installed and plays live tv just fine. but when i click the Input Source button i cant seem to get it to use my vid cam as the input.

i used the s-video splitter cable that came with the product. i plugged the video out from my vid cam to the rca jack and left the s-video input empty.

is this possible?
Advertisement
_
__

_
topgazza
_
13. November 2003 @ 06:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I guess so. I used the out jack on my vid at first to the Winfast card. It works fine but the quality is not as good as it could be but it does carry the sound and picture on the same signal. Its perfectly OK for playback on DVD but the image is just a tad sharper using composite.
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > video capturing from analog sources > putting vhs tapes on dvd for dummies

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork