User User name Password  

Sunday 9.6.2024 / 19:52
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > news comments > sony announced skype and gps for psp
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Sony announced Skype and GPS for PSP
  Jump to:

The following comments relate to this news article:

Sony announced Skype and GPS for PSP

article published on 7 January, 2008

Sony has announced the VoIP application Skype and Go!Explore GPS receiver and software for PlayStation Portable. The announcement took place at Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2008 roughly a week after Sony released details on the new features at their CES 2008 site. Skype will be free of cost and will be a part of the next Firmware upgrade which is destined to be released in late January. ... [ read the full article ]

Please read the original article before posting your comments.
Posted Message
nobrainer
Suspended permanently
_
7. January 2008 @ 08:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Expect street crime to increase very soon, i can understand that this is good for the psp and the kids will lap up the features especially with 3 network now having a dedicated skype mobile phone that utilises the 02 network in the uk, there will be ppl to chat to, but why exactly have this free calls feature when, mostly all roaming internet access in the uk is £1 per minuet?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. January 2008 @ 10:33

Advertisement
_
__
sciascia
_
7. January 2008 @ 11:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm not too big on handhelds but I have to admit that this is pretty dang cool. My question is, how will the GPS system work? Via satellite like normal auto GPS'? I only say this because, since when did the PSP have satellite connectability? Kind of creepy.
_
7. January 2008 @ 11:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by sciascia:
I'm not too big on handhelds but I have to admit that this is pretty dang cool. My question is, how will the GPS system work? Via satellite like normal auto GPS'? I only say this because, since when did the PSP have satellite connectability? Kind of creepy.
They had PSPGPS on ebay which the little GPS receiver goes on that mini usb port.

Heres a link on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Offical-So...1QQcmdZViewItem

This has been out for about a year or so but was only released in Japan. They did a homebrew app that works with this for the US so if Skype w/ GPS is compatible then that would be great with is receiver. I like the fact that my PSP can be a GPS. It saves you money for buying a real one.
_
7. January 2008 @ 13:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Team noobz already released voip homebrew for both slim and fat psp.

More info on : noobz.eu
sciascia
_
7. January 2008 @ 14:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
I like the fact that my PSP can be a GPS. It saves you money for buying a real one.
I agree, now I just have to pawn my garmin off for a slim PSP and all of the add-ons/etc. for the GPS functionality.
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

6 product reviews
_
9. January 2008 @ 04:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Portable GPS i like this idea however do we not have new next generation mobile phones for this kinda thing.
Related links
Visit our PSP forums located at our sister site, Blasteroids.com!
Download the latest version of Skype from our site!

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
Microsoft ends Skype support for Windows Phone and Androids before 4.03 1 12. August 2016 News comments
Skype in court over user data request 1 29. May 2015 News comments
Skype team reveals Windows 10 UI 1 25. January 2015 News comments
psp games not reading 3 10. June 2014 Sony PSP - Games
PSP Custom Firmware Malfunction 4 10. June 2014 Sony PSP - General discussion
I cant see my psp games after changing the speed 333 5 9. June 2014 Sony PSP - Games
Infographic: Skype now rules the international phone calling market 3 19. January 2014 News comments
Whats better, a psp 1000 or a e1004? 5 19. January 2014 Sony PSP - Games
PSP won't turn on or charge 2 18. January 2014 Sony PSP - General discussion
Psp go games gone all in saved utility data does not work 4 7. January 2014 Sony PSP - Games

afterdawn.com > forums > announcements > news comments > sony announced skype and gps for psp

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork