User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 19:48
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > digital video discussion for linux users > linux rip to mpeg2
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Linux rip to MPEG2
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Rost1981
_
4. February 2008 @ 17:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi,

I have been digitizing my VHS family home movies. I have about 40 VHS tapes and most of them I have been able to digitize with my Hauppauge 150 PVR MCE Card using Mythtv. However, for some reason some of the tapes played poorly when played in a VCR hooked up to my computer. For these tapes, I had to use a DVD/VCR recorder to copy the VHS tapes to DVDs. I have done this, and now I want to rip the DVDs into MPEG-2 files onto my Debian Etch Linux Computer so that I can edit them. I want to rip them to mpeg-2 so that they do not lose any of the quality of the video. I have read on the Internet that you can make the .vob files into .mpg files just by changing the file extension to .mpg, but I have also heard that doing this will prevent you from editing them in video editors. What tool or program do I use to change the .vob files to MPEG-2 files in Linux and still be able to edit the video later?

Thanks

Andrew Rost
varnull
Suspended permanently
_
4. February 2008 @ 21:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Grab yourself a program called dvdrip

it's in the etch repositories.. but you will need debian multimedia repos in your sources too..

http://debian-multimedia.org/

greets from an etch user :lol:
Rost1981
_
6. February 2008 @ 13:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ripping with this program works great! Thanks for the help.

Andrew Rost
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > digital video discussion for linux users > linux rip to mpeg2

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork