User User name Password  

Tuesday 28.5.2024 / 17:00
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital audio > high resolution audio > monoprice, bluejeans, or acoustic research???
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Monoprice, bluejeans, or acoustic research???
  Jump to:

Posted Message
brick
_
22. February 2008 @ 12:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
need to get a bunch of cables

rca, s-video, optical, component

i keep hearing about monoprice and yet they are SO MUCH cheaper than the others????

only need about 3 foot for each cable

your recommendations are greatly appreciated!
cheers! :)
Advertisement
_
__
goodswipe
Suspended permanently
_
22. February 2008 @ 12:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'd go with MonoPrice. ;)
_
25. February 2008 @ 09:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As long as you get good interconnects you will be just fine.
There is, sadly, more bollocks talked about so-called "High End Audiophile" equipment than any other thing & it's enough to make a cat puke.
I have actually seen conmen advertising mains cable at £1850 per metre.
Fuses at £35 each - I bull you no shit here!
Cable raisers to prevent "Vibration interfering with the signal".
It's madness.

Get good Gold coated interconnects, ideally screened. Gold for preventing corrosion on the terminals. Screened to prevent RF.

S-Video are the hardest to get right, as I have bought so many that are actually broken when unpacked - they are seriously fragile.

THE HUNGERCITY MUSIC TRACKER & FORUM

<!-- hungercity forum link -->

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 25. February 2008 @ 09:13

brick
_
25. February 2008 @ 13:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
any comments you can make spefically about the brands?

my main concern would be the RCA and optical cables

def don't care about looks of the cables at all.
i just want quality construction and it seems so weird to me that a $2.40 RCA cable from monoprice is any where near the quality of a $35 bluejeans cable

but are we saying that IS the case?
and that bluejeans really isn't a ton better than the monoprice cable?

thanks all :)
goodswipe
Suspended permanently
_
25. February 2008 @ 15:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A lot of that price goes into the manufacturing of the cables and the box that they come in.

If you're really concerned about the toslink cables, maybe a pair made from a thicker material would be the way to go, due to the insides breaking easily. Are you going to have a long run? If not, go with the cheaper ones.

_
25. February 2008 @ 15:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by goodswipe:
A lot of that price goes into the manufacturing of the cables and the box that they come in.

If you're really concerned about the toslink cables, maybe a pair made from a thicker material would be the way to go, due to the insides breaking easily. Are you going to have a long run? If not, go with the cheaper ones.
Sensible advice.
The nasty, thin ones that ship with soundcards are too fragile for my liking. Whilst there is no problem with their transmission - it is after all only a fibreoptic cable - the lack of a well insulated casing on it may allow it to get damaged.

THE HUNGERCITY MUSIC TRACKER & FORUM

<!-- hungercity forum link -->
goodswipe
Suspended permanently
_
25. February 2008 @ 15:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
There is, sadly, more bollocks talked about so-called "High End Audiophile" equipment than any other thing & it's enough to make a cat puke.
So true! It makes me sick to see that manufacturers can get away with selling a/v cables at the prices they do, that will accomplish the same thing as a cheaper pair. It's just plain wrong!
brick
_
25. February 2008 @ 16:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
def only a short run - i'll prolly just need the 3 foot ones

ok...so yall are telling me that the cheaper ones here will be just as durable and insulated from outside interference as the others?

if so i guess i'll have my decision

it just seems so bizarre that there is only a minor difference

oi!
goodswipe
Suspended permanently
_
25. February 2008 @ 17:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Go do a little more research to be sure. I was in the same boat you are in now a few months back. I thought to myself, "How in the hell can these be more expensive?", well with a little research I found my answer.

Never buy Monster and if your doing short runs, usually the higher priced cable is definitely not worth the extra money.

If your going to have a long run and the cables are being installed behind your walls, yea, sometimes the cables with better shielding will be better for you.
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
25. February 2008 @ 20:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by brick:
need to get a bunch of cables

rca, s-video, optical, component

i keep hearing about monoprice and yet they are SO MUCH cheaper than the others????

only need about 3 foot for each cable

your recommendations are greatly appreciated!
cheers! :)

Hi, I've heard these can be quite good. Please take a look and I ask for a comment from Goodswipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acoustic-Research-Go...bayphotohosting

"The flimsier the product,the higher the price"
Ferengi 82nd rule of aqusition

goodswipe
Suspended permanently
_
26. February 2008 @ 10:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by iluvendo:

Hi, I've heard these can be quite good. Please take a look and I ask for a comment from Goodswipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acoustic-Research-Go...hosting

Ahh, good ol' AR, used those back in the day. I'd say those are some good a/v cables. They also have gold interconnects which is a good thing to look for when purchasing any audio cable. I don't believe I've seen those around town anymore, I think Audiovox now owns them.
GTort
_
26. February 2008 @ 12:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Absolutely nothing wrong with those AR's, I've used them for years. They don't corrode or come loose. Reproduces a neutral signal, exactly as a cable should. Too many people using cables as tone controls. For the price, give 'em a try. you could always try another brand later and there is always need for more at some point.
If you must have optical toslink, look into glass rather than plastic fiber as it has more bandwidth.
redice
_
27. February 2008 @ 16:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
monoprice is a good place to get your cables that you need. i have orded cables from them and they are great.

goodswipe
Suspended permanently
_
27. February 2008 @ 16:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
/drools

Who is that in your sig?
redice
_
3. March 2008 @ 22:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
goodswipe

were u asking me that?

goodswipe
Suspended permanently
_
4. March 2008 @ 11:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yup!
redice
_
4. March 2008 @ 13:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
goodswipe

it's Alicia Keys.

Advertisement
_
__

_
goodswipe
Suspended permanently
_
4. March 2008 @ 15:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ahh, thought that kinda looked like her, but a younger Keys.

Umm, yea, MonoPrice is a great place to buy any a/v cables!

/woot!
afterdawn.com > forums > digital audio > high resolution audio > monoprice, bluejeans, or acoustic research???

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork