User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 22:14
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > resource center > cleaning up vhs rips?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Cleaning up VHS rips?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
CuFk
_
23. April 2008 @ 03:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey!

I'm copying my old VHS tapes to my harddrive. As you might know there usually are alot of noise and color bleed in old VHS tapes. Is there any way/software that can clean up the image? I belive that I've read somewhere that it is possible...

One more thing. What resolution am I supposed to use when capturing video to the computer from a VHS-tape?

Cheers!

------------------------
// CuFk
Advertisement
_
__
varnull
Suspended permanently
_
26. April 2008 @ 14:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
On a PAL DVD, the resolution is 704x576, NTSC is less.. 720x480 (those are the standards anyway.. play about for best result.. most vhs tapes look fine at 640x480.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. April 2008 @ 14:28

AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
9. March 2009 @ 02:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There are many such filters in TMPGenc & Pinacle; but the improvement is marginal at best and sometimes the "clean" video looks worse than the original. It is not a "one-click" process; you select various filters & how to use them.

VHS is 320x240 (in theory), but you will probably get slightly better quality if you capture in 640x480 (SVHS resolution) (720x480 is DVD resolution; don't use that for capture unless your capture software does not offer 640x480 or you are using an SVHS deck.)

Also, if you can capture to a lossless format, this would be best. (If you start with an MPEG or other lossy compression, you will have a drop in quality before you even use the filters.)

varnull
Suspended permanently
_
9. March 2009 @ 15:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Capturing from tape in lossless raw format.. don't make me laugh.. it works out off vhs (with it's floating black levels and fine grained noise)... at between 3 and 8 gigs a minute... no matter how fast your capture software you will end up with just garbage as your machine can't keep up with the disk writes... eventually everything locks up.. at between 5 and 9 minutes.

mpeg2 is a good lossy (not a lot) format for capture... it's good enough for dvd.. it's good enough for vhs.
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
13. March 2009 @ 05:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Varnull - What kind of pre-historic sysem are you running? RAW 640x480 lossless capture is about 1GB/minute. If your system can't sustained writes of 17MBPS, then you have some serious problems to fix or some serious upgrades to perform.

Also, MPEG2 is not a good lossy format; if it was, blu-ray would not be MPEG4!

afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > resource center > cleaning up vhs rips?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork