User User name Password  

Tuesday 28.5.2024 / 15:02
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   Pĺ svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > media types and bandwidth limitations
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Media types and bandwidth limitations
  Jump to:

Posted Message
gundo181
_
18. September 2002 @ 05:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm just entering the DVD-R world, but I have a few observations and tidbits of wisdom... I'm hoping people can either agree with me, or set me straight.

I've had no problems with the ripping, converting, or encoding aspects of DVD backup, but the media seems to be giving me problems. In scanning the boards I've found that the only thing people seem to agree on is that Grade A media is a must. I haven't been able to classify the Verbatim media I picked up at Best Buy, but I'd be shocked if it's anywhere near Grade A. So far, every movie I've burned has skipped or desynced during high-bitrate areas of playback. So far... my theory is that even when a standalone DVD player does read a DVD-R disc, the cheaper media is more difficult to read, and therefore has a lower maximum bandwidth. These DVD-R's would probably be fine for burning at lower bitrates, but would have problems at higher bitrates, or in duplicating commercial DVD's.

So far, Pioneer and Univeral DVD-R media have come up as being the highest quality available, with the prices of Universal media also being quite reasonable. I just placed an order for some Universal DVD-r's, and I'd be interested to see posts from anyone that has experimented with these and other brands.
djdrock
_
26. September 2002 @ 19:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I initially made the mistake of buying B grade media and was able to get 1 out of 3 to burn successfully. I since bought a 15 pack of Verbatim's from Best Buy, and have burnt 11 discs without any writing or reading problems. So, my experience with Verbatim is great. I am using a Panasonic LF-D311 DVD-R and a Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD player.
afterdawn.com > forums > dvd±r discussion > dvd±r media > media types and bandwidth limitations

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork