User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 18:46
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > adding subtitles
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Adding Subtitles
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Narkona
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
1. January 2002 @ 01:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A Im using smartripper, DVD2AVI and then TMPGENC to convert a dvd to VCD. I can see that i can select the subtitles i smartripper, but how do i add them to a movie????
Is there perhaps a manual or instruction to how this is done.
Advertisement
_
__
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
1. January 2002 @ 06:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you want permanent subtitles, you need to add two steps between your process -- after you've created the d2v file with AVI.cfm" class="forum_link" target="_blank">DVD2AVI, use VFAPIConvert (from VFAPI Reader codec package) to convert the d2v to pseudo-AVI. Then open the AVI with VirtualDub, add Filters from Video menu and add VobSub filter -- select the main movie's VOB file you've ripped and select the correct subtitle language, subtitle colors, etc and click Ok to exit from Filter list. Then go to File menu in VirtualDub and start frame server. Leave VirtualDub open and open TMPGEnc and open the AVI you just created with VirtualDub.

Read more about VobSub and VirtualDub from our Article section (Divx+subtitles to VCD -guide) and you should be able to figure it out.

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster
https://AfterDawn.com/
Narkona
_
1. January 2002 @ 08:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Is it possible that you could "produce" a more specified procedure (like step 1, step2). så that i can print your answer out, and follow that every time.
I Would be wery greatfull

I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
1. January 2002 @ 08:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That's possible, I'll add it to our way-too-long to-do list :-)

Webmaster
Narkona
_
3. January 2002 @ 23:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I Would be greatfull if is't possible to make such a licheck list.

The DVD's that i'm ripping right now, takes about 8-9 houst TOTAL. How much more time would it take to add the subtitles. Because if we are talking about 1hour extra then it's ok, and worthwhile, but if it is another 7-8 hours, then fuck the subtitles.
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
4. January 2002 @ 02:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It adds probably 30minutes of work from you, but no additional encoding time to add permanent subtitles for the VCD.

Webmaster
Narkona
_
4. January 2002 @ 02:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thank god.
The method that ive been given, resulted in first converting the DVD-rip files (*.vob) to AVI, and then to MPG.
Where I now just convert to MPG (because i burn VCD's).
You hopefully meen an extra 30 minutes of work for the PC!! and not for me *lol*

Can you say something about when, the step-by-step procedure will be ready/made.
If it's to far away on arrival, can't you learn me ohw to permanently add the subtitles.
I'm From Denmark, and therefore wish to add the Danish subtitles.
I personely don't have a problem with understanding english, but it would give an extra 5 points up , if there were subtitles.
A movie like snatch is a bit hard to understand.
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
4. January 2002 @ 03:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As I explained earlier, the process is this:

-rip the move with SmartRipper
-use AVI.cfm" class="forum_link" target="_blank">DVD2AVI to create .d2v project and WAV
-use VFAPIConvert to create pseudo-AVI (only few megs, not a "real" AVI) from .d2v file
-use VirtualDub to open the pseudo-AVI
-add VobSub filter within VirtualDub and select the subtitles
-start a frameserver from VirtualDub (it creates an another pseudo-AVI, small file as well) and leave it running
-open TMPGEnc and load the WAV you created with AVI.cfm" class="forum_link" target="_blank">DVD2AVI and load the last pseudo-AVI you just created with VirtualDub and follow our original VCD guide for the encoding settings and start encoding

...that's it. I'm originally from Finland, but I really don't need subs anymore as I've bee forced to undertstand (place-an-ugly-word-here) British accent while living in the UK :-) I prefer English subs anyway, because some actors don't speak too clearly.

Webmaster
Narkona
_
4. January 2002 @ 08:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I now think that i have completet most of the steps correct.
But the point about starting the frameserver, isen't working.

Do I have to load a movie first, before I am able to select the start frameserver, because right now i can't select it.

can you give me the link to your original guide
to the encoding settings.
because that is the next that i have to do, when i solve my problem with the frame server.

by the way, just to totally clarify it.
I just have to start the frameserver, end the open TMPGENC, and when the 6-7 hours encoding is done in TMPGENC that i can close the frameserver??!!!
Narkona
_
4. January 2002 @ 08:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
if I try to open the pseudo-avi that I (think) that i have created with VFAPI Reader Codec 1.04b, then VirtualDub comes with an error message

>>Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'vifp' (unknown)

Virtualdub requires a video windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. Directshow codecs, such as those used by windows media player, are not suitable<<<

what is missing? or what i wrong
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
4. January 2002 @ 09:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
1) Frameserver needs to be installed -- inside VirtualDub's directory there's file called AuxSetup.exe, run that and it installs the frameserver support.

2) You need to also install the actual VFAPI codec found inside the package, there's a small .bat file that installs the codec. After you've done this, Dub can open the pseudo-AVI.

Webmaster
Narkona
_
5. January 2002 @ 00:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That worked, and then I got another step further, BUT!!!! *hehe*

Now i'm at the point of adding the Vobsub filter within VirtualDub, I press add filter, and the choose VobSub 2.06.
Then i choose the index file (moviename.ifo), and choose where the new file shoud be saved (i have chosen another destination for the new index filn, because i don't know if I am to overwrite the moviename.ifo from the DVD.

The problem is when i have to choose the subtitles and the sections of the movie.
Ain't I supposed to select all the e.g
VOB 01 Cell 02 ...................

Is the selected files thoose on the right or left?????

Because when this step is done, i Can't see any subtitles when i scroll along in the movie, and isen't the the idea???

PLEASE HELP (as if you haven't already *lol*)
Narkona
_
5. January 2002 @ 01:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Now I succeded , I think

I can now see the correct subtitles in the Output video window, in virtual dub.
But what do I do from here.
Don't I have to save the file??, because if I just start the frameserver, and then load the psaudo-avi in TMPGENC, together with the wav file, and start encoding. Then I can't see subtitles on the finished product!!!

Can you tell what I'm doing wrong.

I'm Getting there, but it is with babysteps :)
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
5. January 2002 @ 01:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You start frameserver and when frameserver asks you for a filename (the later dialog box) enter something like this 'second_pseudo.avi' <- notice the .AVI extension even that Dub suggests you .vdf extension.

Then, LEAVE DUB RUNNING! Don't close it! And open the 'second_pseudo.avi' with TMPGEnc and the WAV from your AVI.cfm" class="forum_link" target="_blank">DVD2AVI session. Does the trick.

Webmaster
Narkona
_
5. January 2002 @ 03:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE HA HA HAHA

Thanls very much, now I am abe to rip my movies, with subtitles, or at least now if have the possibillity of adding them, if I wish.

Thank You Very Much.

Advertisement
_
__

_
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
5. January 2002 @ 03:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
np :-)

Webmaster
This thread is closed and therefore you are not allowed reply to this thread.
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > adding subtitles

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork