User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 19:12
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > which audio track to rip
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Which audio track to rip
  Jump to:

Posted Message
pk5000
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
6. October 2002 @ 10:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There sure as hell must be an easier way to know which audio track to pick for ripping then to pick one and convert the DVD to DivX only to find after 10+ hours that you've picked the track where the director blabs all the time over the soundtrack. Any programs or tricks that will let you listen to a specific track (in a manner you know which track you're listening to) before converting.

Cheers lads
Advertisement
_
__
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
6. October 2002 @ 10:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you rip the movie with SmartRipper, go to the directory where you ripped the files. There you see a small text file that contains list of all data streams within the VOB files.

You see subtitle streams, video streams and audio streams in the list. Now, you need to find DD5.1/AC3 track for your preferred language. So, find the top-most audio track in the stream list and call it in your mind "track 01".. Find next audio stream (skip all video/other streams in your count) and call it "track 02", etc... Once you find the audio track you want, remember its "mental number" you counted (normally this track is English AC3/DD5.1 -- DTS wont do) and select that number in DVD2AVI's audio settings and you're good to go.

Just to make sure you selected correct one, before you start encoding, you can go to the dir where you save the d2v project file and open the WAV you created -- audio is in that file. If it's not correct, try again and change the track #.

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster
https://AfterDawn.com/
Staff Member
_
6. October 2002 @ 11:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just a little add-on. If you use progs that ask you to pick an audio track from a list, 0x80 is the default track. So in your case, its english
pk5000
_
6. October 2002 @ 11:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
OK gotcha. However in this case the files are all in english see below:

* Stream Info *

Stream[001] X=[[0xE0] Video PAL 720x576] [] [] [] []
Stream[002] X=[[0x80] Audio English AC3(6Ch) 48kHz ] [] [] [] []
Stream[003] X=[[0x81] Audio English AC3(2Ch) 48kHz ] [] [] [] []
Stream[004] X=[[0x82] Audio English AC3(2Ch) 48kHz ] [] [] [] []
Stream[005] X=[[0x83] Audio English AC3(6Ch) 48kHz ] [] [] [] []
Stream[006] X=[[0x20] Subtitle Nederlands ] [] [] [] []
Stream[007] X=[[0x??] Others] [] [] [] []

This is correct as according to the DVD menu we have a dolby digital, a dolby surround and a directors bla bla version. That still leaves one stream unaccounted for in my mind though.

Since I'm using flaskmpeg I don't create a seperate wav first. I suppose I could do as it is still a lot quicker then first crosscoding into DivX. Less time wasted. Any other suggestions anyone ? No simple tool that plays any stream you pick.

Cheers
Staff Member
_
6. October 2002 @ 11:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Play the dvd for a few seconds. If its perfect English, choose 0x80 because thats what the dvd player would have been playing
pk5000
_
6. October 2002 @ 11:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just to reply to the last message. When I did my first conversion I (as was suggested in various places) picked the first track which turned out (12 hours later) to be the director's blabla track. Just my (beginner's) luck ?

Cheers
Staff Member
_
6. October 2002 @ 12:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yep, we all did it when we started.

P.S. If you are using FlaskMpeg to rip then you will be waiting a long time every time while converting. However, their must anticipated (and very late) upcoming release will (as they say) be much faster!
pk5000
_
18. October 2002 @ 11:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have since tried flask 6.0.0 which lets you pick a track when using the audio player. That solves the problem.
Staff Member
_
18. October 2002 @ 17:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have only tried it once to convert dvd2vcd and it was excellent! The encoding still takes it's time though!
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
19. October 2002 @ 01:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
IMHO, SVCD.cfm" class="forum_link" target="_blank">DVD2SVCD offers far more sophisticated and yet simple-to-use package for ripping/encoding than Flask. Flask is badly out-dated nowadays and that was one of the main reasons for us to remove it from our site couple of weeks ago.

Webmaster
Staff Member
_
19. October 2002 @ 15:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That was the old one dRD but they have a new one coming (for about the past year), so if it ever does arrive, it could be good, actually it better cause it lost its rep!
I hate titles

35 product reviews
_
19. October 2002 @ 16:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm more than skeptic about FlaskMPEG's future, no offence to anyone. But their website hasn't updated in last 10 months and there's no discussion about betas, alphas or any development whatsoever.

Webmaster
Advertisement
_
__

_
Staff Member
_
19. October 2002 @ 16:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ye, I know what you mean!! I reckon they simply quit but can't admit it. FlaskMpeg is dead now because of this!
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > which audio track to rip

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork