User User name Password  

Sunday 9.6.2024 / 11:15
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > xbox - backup discussion > filename too long?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Filename too long?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Addy2k
_
4. June 2004 @ 08:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I just tried to transfer Toca Race Driver 2 to my Harddisk. One file in the Shader Directory just failed to transfer. I tried it using several FTP Apps but it didn´t work. Then I realized that this file has a ver long file name. I then renamed it to ABC and transfer worked, but I was unable to play the game. What can I do to transfer a file with a very long file name to my Xbox?

Addy
Advertisement
_
__
jzazza
Inactive
_
7. June 2004 @ 21:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I had the same issue using FlashXP. I tried everything I could think of and was successful ftping the files using windows explorer's ftping capabilities.
hiredgoon
_
10. June 2004 @ 10:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
just rename the long file names... I have not run into an xbox game that had file names too large to transfer.
jzazza
Inactive
_
10. June 2004 @ 11:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Renaming this file (something to do with shader) caused the game not to work. I think the issue was with the FTP program or a setting. I wasn't able to find the setting in FlashXP but when I ftp'd the file with Windows Explorer it was able to transfer fine. Then the game was playable. **Try renaming the file, transferring it, then renaming it back to the original.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 10. June 2004 @ 11:33

kinder420
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
26. June 2004 @ 03:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I think software manufacturers are specifically making some file name longer than 42 characters so the file cannot be copied onto the xbox HDD(Because of XFAT limitations). I have struck this on a number of games including Race Driver 2(PAL) and Stacey Jone's Rugby League (PAL).

Here's what I found:

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/article155.html

Anyone know how to do this?

Where's the beers?
whagwan
_
2. July 2004 @ 02:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm having the same problems trying to back-up MTX Mototrax to my HD.

I was just going to post this till I saw this thread.....

"Hi

I was trying to back-up MTX Mototrax in PxHDloader (or whatever it's called) I get an error saying the file name is too long and then it wont back up the disk to my HD. It wont even read the disk to tell me how big it is.

When I look at the disk in file explorer all the files are in a folder called D:data. Hardly a long file name is it.

I would try dvd2 xbox but it has stopped working since I installed a new 120GB HD and XBMC (instead of the old XBMP). I probably would have the same problem anyway.

What can I do to remedy this?

I really need a back-up of the disk in question.

Is this a new way to stop us baking up our games?

Surely someone knows how to get around this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Lee"

Addy2k
_
2. July 2004 @ 15:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I found a possibility to get the file to Box HD :-) Just put the HD into your Desktop PC, put the file on it and return it into your box :-))

Game doesn´t work the either :-((

But it´s possible to backup such games by ftp them from Disc onto PC and then burn on DVD.
kinder420
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
5. July 2004 @ 13:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The way I have been told to do it is ftp the DVD Game straight to your pc. So it's a matter of sharing your XBOX DVDRom. Hence bypassing the XBOX HDD alltogether. I tried using DVD2XBOX. It renames(shorter) the long filenames and then refuses to play, says the DVD is damaged. Anyone know how to access your DVDRom over FTP?

Where's the beers?
Advertisement
_
__

_
Addy2k
_
5. July 2004 @ 14:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Accessing XBox DVD-Drive via FTP is quite simple. Open a ftp connection to your box. Partition D will be the DVD.
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > xbox - backup discussion > filename too long?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork