Show topics

Forums
Forums
THE BEST PC SPEAKERS
  Jump to:

Posted Message
aeternum
_
29. June 2004 @ 17:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've been trying to find a 5.1 surround sound system.

I've been looking at:

Logitech z-680

Klipsch Promedia 5.1 THX Certified

Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra

Any differences between the two Klipsch? One of them isn't THX Certified. So weird. What do you recommend?

Also any inputs for the sound cards will be helpful

Thanks!
Advertisement
_
__
Prisoner
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
3. July 2004 @ 10:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Not too familar with Klipsch, but the best PC speaker brand I have and heard are by JBL. So I would recomend the JBL brand name. I have heard a lot of tinny PC speakers, Logitech isnt' bad. This set looks like it might be good:
http://www.directron.com/encounter51.html

What is your price range?

I am not a number
I am a Free Man

_
22. July 2004 @ 14:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
have you looked at the creative inspire 6700's?

I've them on my system and they have some fine sound
sdifox
_
18. August 2004 @ 07:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
any reason you are looking at those 'multimedia speaker systems?' They are really crappy for their price. Get a real speaker system + receiver, you'll be much happier.
mcalister
_
18. August 2004 @ 08:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Everybody has their own opinion but I have Klipsch
with THX surround system and my sound is very clear
with no distortion even when I crank it. strone

later on
mcalister
_
18. August 2004 @ 08:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
THX is studio certified. Which means the speakers have to meet certain sound standards before they are released to be sold. I've also seen other THX certified stereo equipment like Kenwood Receivers for example. strone

later on
sdifox
_
18. August 2004 @ 18:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
THX certified only means they paid money to George Lucas and it meets a minimum set of requirements. Many high end machined do not have THX certification since they far exceed those specs and the clients know it. Doesn't really mean a whole lot.

And by the way, who do you think is footing the bill for the THX certification?

McAlister, when you say you crank it, how many db is your speaker system putting out?
mcalister
_
18. August 2004 @ 19:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Like I said earlier opinions are like ah's everybody has got one.

later on
matamoros
_
18. August 2004 @ 20:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Of course no one has tried them all (except maybe in the store), but I have been most happy with Klipsch in several cases. It also is priced very nicely for what you get. THX? I dunno.
_
19. August 2004 @ 08:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Logitech Z-680's get my vote. Thundering bass and great sound all for under $300.

My killer sig came courtesy of bb "El Jefe" mayo.
The Forum Rules You Agreed To! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
"And there we saw the giants, and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight" - Numbers 13:33
goose2000
_
21. August 2004 @ 09:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you want proper sound from your PC, I would reccomend the Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro sound card, as this has been designed with high-end A/V Receivers and Amplifiers in mind with THX technology. I would also reccomend a Denon AVR Series A/V Receiver as these are high build and sound quality, and you can pick up a Denon AVR-3801 second hand for about £200 - £300. Or even the later one (AVR-3803) for a little more second hand. Then it just leaves the speakers and sub which is really the most important part of any sound setup.
shooter
_
25. August 2004 @ 14:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If your looking for a surround sound system for your computer, you really cant go wrong with either the Klipsch, or the Logitech Z-680's. Both are very good speakers. (I think the Klipsch has the upper hand on the music end however. So if you really enjoy good music, that would be the breaking point for me.)
But you are talking about $200 or MORE as well. So you need to balance the cost, to what you really want out of them. When my Klipsch set up took a dump on me, I went to the Logitech set up, and I have been very happy with them.
A lot of it depends on the sound card your running as well. No matter what speakers you use, if your sound card is just so-so, that is all your going to get out of them for sound as well.
SO the bottom line is, I would recommend the Logitech, and a good sound card upgrade. For about the same money as the Klipsch set up would end up costing you alone.
But that is just my opinion. But it IS free!! (laugh)
Good luck with which ever you choose.

Shooter

mcalister
_
25. August 2004 @ 16:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yea we need to laugh and have more fun. Like my friend Nephilim told me one time that he is here to enjoy his self. Thats the attitude we all need !!

later on
Networx
_
4. September 2004 @ 21:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Look at it this way. Klipsch has been making audiophile speakers for decades. Their horn tweeter design is legendary in the audio world. Logitech has been making speakers for maybe three, four years now? If you're going to invest that much money why not go with the company with a proven track record. I've been using the Promedia 2.1 system for two years now and I've never come close to cranking it as far as it will go. The high end is crystal clear right up to when your ears start bleeding and the bass is tight and powerful, not boomy, boxy or mushy. You can tell the difference between a Rickenbaker bass played with a pick and one played with the fingers!

I've heard the Logitech in stores and yes, they get really loud but the sound just doesn't have that crispness of my Klipsch. But selecting the right speaker is a matter of taste and what might sound like crap to me may sound like Carnegie Hall to you. If you can try to get an A-B demo where you can switch the same piece of music back and forth between the two systems you should arrange it. It's the only way to truly compare the two. Our acoustic memory isn't long enough to listen to one system at Best Buy and then drive over to Future Shop and listen to the other.

Either way, unless you live in a big field you'll probably never get either of these systems as loud as they're capable of going without getting the neighbours all pissed at you. Shortly after I got my Klpsch 2.1 system (remember only two satellites and a smaller sub) I asked my neighbour if he'd heard my new speakers. He said "Sean, EVERYONE'S heard your new speakers!"

On the sound card front get the best Creative card you can afford. Don't skimp. The Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS should be all the card you'll ever need (for now).

Oh ya, THX certification means that if George Lucas came by to watch movies he'd be happy with your sound. Other than that it's just a guarantee that your equipment meats some very high quality standards for sound reproduction. Not a bad requirement to meet for a set of speakers, eh?

Cheers,

Networx
Advertisement
_
__

_
sdifox
_
12. September 2004 @ 04:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Networkx, I think you need to seriously consider beefing up insulation and seal on your windows and doors. My Def Tech 2000TL, C/L/R 2000, BP10B are setup in a 2nd floor bedroom. It has 2 windows and 1 patio door (out to the balcony). I have turned the stereo on at reference level and gone outside and I can barely hear them. And that is only the bass. My neighbours behind their doors and windows would not be able to even tell it's on.

THX certification is pointless unless everything you got is THX certified AND it was setup (including the room dimentions) by a THX certified tech.
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > home theater pc > the best pc speakers

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork