User User name Password  

Tuesday 28.5.2024 / 14:32
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > receivers and amplifiers > wireless questions
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Wireless Questions
  Jump to:

Posted Message
etowneric
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
10. July 2004 @ 14:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am looking to cut a lot of my speaker wires if not all of them. I am running a receiver to all 5 speakers and everywhere i have looked has just offered wireless surround speakers.

So my main question is where should I look to get a transmitter/receiver with 5 wireless plugs for my speakers. If anybody has a website or info with suggestions I would greatly appreciate because I have been looking everywhere and haven't found what I've been looking for.

Thanks for the help.
Advertisement
_
__
The_OGS
_
12. July 2004 @ 17:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Actually you can setup a nice little system with 4 of these wireless speakers, the biggest ones you can locate, and it will sound sweet under one condition:
Subwoofer and Centre channels well represented! Big speakers with good power and (thick) wires.
Finding a good, shielded centre speaker is not overly difficult, but I dunno about a wireless one.
Of course if cost is not a factor then you could get a transmitter setup. Keep in mind the amplified signal is not transmitted, rather the low-level signal is transmitted and amplified near (or inside) the speakers. So to use your existing speakers, they're still gonna have wires connected to them from their amplifier, but you won't have long wires running around or across your room.
I have setup 5.1 with centre, sub, and four wireless speakers. The speakers were self-powered, and it sounded good/excellent/spectacular (depending on which subwoofer was employed).
The main channel amplifiers in the reciever were not being used since the front L&R signals were taken from pre-out, so I fed the centre pre-out into the L&R amps (with a little splitter) and, yikes! 125 Watts x2 = a killer 250W centre channel.
I think the reciever had only a 50W centre amp, so, there you go.
Without a sub it doesn't work.
(Well, it does - there's just no bass...)
Regards

ABit AB9 Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 2.4GHz
2GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum XTC R2
ATI Radeon X1900XT 512MB
Enermax Liberty 620W
320GB/16MB WD, 150GB/16MB Raptor
Plextor PX-755SA DVD (SATA)
etowneric
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
14. July 2004 @ 14:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yes I still would like to use the big speakers that I have now. So you think the best bet would to buy a transmitter and 4 inputs so that i could hook those up to my speakers. I think thats what you were trying to say, and if so where could i find that and around what price range would that be.
The_OGS
_
18. July 2004 @ 13:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi buddy,
Don't know. If you were in Toronto I'd tell you to go to Long & McQuaid... ?
They are a pro audio shop, electric guitars/amplifiers etc.
Or you could checkout your local Home Theatre Superstore. They must have wireless rigs there (bound to be expensive, LoL)
The key to the affordable wireless speakers is that they are self-amplified.
L8R

ABit AB9 Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 2.4GHz
2GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum XTC R2
ATI Radeon X1900XT 512MB
Enermax Liberty 620W
320GB/16MB WD, 150GB/16MB Raptor
Plextor PX-755SA DVD (SATA)
Advertisement
_
__

_
sdifox
_
18. August 2004 @ 06:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Err, I don't think you can do what you want to do cheaply. Wireless transmission just gets the line level signal to whereever it need to be, you still need to power the speakers. This means getting at least 2 monoblocks to drive your surround speakers. What is your issue with your speaker cables? You can hide them in-wall if you don't like to see them.
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > receivers and amplifiers > wireless questions

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork