User User name Password  

Monday 16.9.2024 / 15:32
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - hardware boot discussion > how do i softmod my fat ps2 without having to buy anything?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
How do I softmod my fat PS2 without having to buy anything?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
hbgalaxy
_
4. January 2011 @ 18:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've seen multiple forums asking this question but they never have my answer. i don't want to buy ANYTHING AKA no ARMax/codebreaker/gameshark! i just want to back up my games to a hard drive b\c they're getting scratched... is there an easy step by step guide for this? i have a wii and i softmodded it for the same reason as this and it was free so i'm looking for something like that... thanks in advance!
Advertisement
_
__
Arkza
_
5. January 2011 @ 03:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
bad news, bru. unless you have a friend who can borrow you some stuff to do it, you will have to buy something.

i was lucky to have a friend borrow me his softmodded memory card, so all i had to do was run uLaunchELF and install free mcboot on my memory card. soooooo.... if you cant borrow a modded memory card from someone and dont want to spend any money either, then you're screwed. sorry man

16bit corpse
hbgalaxy
_
5. January 2011 @ 08:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
dumb.... thanks anyway
chriswhit
_
8. January 2011 @ 23:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by hbgalaxy:
dumb.... thanks anyway
I can install the memory card exploit if you like just mail me a memory card and it will take 15 and I can ship it back to you. Just pay the shipping. I do recommend using a memory card larger than 8megs due to the exploit taking up most of the room especially if you want to launch ps1 games to but only certain fat models can boot ps1 from a memory card exploit.
hbgalaxy
_
9. January 2011 @ 10:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks but no thanks chris... i don't feel safe doing that... no offense
chriswhit
_
9. January 2011 @ 10:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks but no thanks chris... i don't feel safe doing that... no offense
No offense taken. If you change your mind you can check out some feedback on me at ebay I'm chriswhit-2009 or on atariage.com in the market place there is a sub forum for feedback and I am chriswhit there. I just like doing a good dead once in a while.
_
10. January 2011 @ 09:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
think you can use swap trick but only works on a handful of games.psx-scene.com lists all the methods & a selection of games it should work on.was having a look there myself the otherday.thinking about softmodding my ps2 but kinda thinking its a waste of time as i hardly play it and im planning on buying a ps3.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
chriswhit
_
10. January 2011 @ 13:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I can't remember if its version 9 and up or version 10 and up but psxloader can be used through the memory card exploit if a controller button is configured to load it while booting your system. you still have to be soft modded because an original game has to be in during the boot then the disk stops spinning for a swap and switch then press x. Out of 200 games I tried only 3 wouldn't boot this way though there is more that wont boot. Most of the good games boot that way though.
tooquick
_
16. January 2011 @ 16:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've seen multiple forums asking this question but they never have my answer. i don't want to buy ANYTHING AKA no ARMax/codebreaker/gameshark! i just want to back up my games to a hard drive b\c they're getting scratched... is there an easy step by step guide for this? i have a wii and i softmodded it for the same reason as this and it was free so i'm looking for something like that... thanks in advance!
thanks
tooquick
_
16. January 2011 @ 16:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks
Tikaszar
_
21. January 2011 @ 03:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I just soft-modded my PS2 today using the swap disk trick. Fairly easy, and it's hard to tell what games will and will not work to do the trick. Pretty much, you have to make an ISO of the game onto your computer, and replace one of the .ELF files inside the ISO, then burn it to a new disk. Boot up the game like normal, and then swap out the disk when required to do so (this varies based on the game), and it'll load up uLaunch file, where you can then (using a USB Flash Drive) install fmcb onto your memory card. In my case, I used Hitman 2: Silent Assassin to do so. Read the directions at http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/swap.php and then, instead of doing so for 007, simply replace PLAYMOV.ELF, load up the game, select to play Hitman 2, go to Extra Movies in the main menu, then swap the disk and launch the Hitman 2 trailer. Just remember to change the file size information and such. Hope this helps you out and makes sense :) Also, if you dont have Hitman 2, there are games listed on that link, and the forum post http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/ps2-game-swap-trick-list-submissions-62295/index22.html#post703867 has more games that have worked for some people, so chances are you'll have a working game. Also, to do the swapping out, I recommend taking the top off your PS2 until it's done (if you have a fat ps2 that is). It just makes it 10x easier.
Advertisement
_
__

_
hbgalaxy
_
22. January 2011 @ 16:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
so i have enough money now to get action replay max... does this mean i can back up my games onto a hard drive and play via that with a hack or no?
Related links
For more PS2 discussion, please visit our sister site, Blasteroids.com
Read our PS2 backup tutorial & information package

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
WATCH: DVD player used to hack PS2 3 16. July 2020 News comments
First PS2 games on PS4 available now including GTA, Twisted Metal 10 13. December 2015 News comments
Sony: PlayStation 4 very likely to surpass PS2 in profitability 19 10. June 2014 News comments
ps2 can display 3 1. June 2014 PS2 - General discussion
how to mod a ps2 1 16. May 2014 PS2 - General discussion
Two PS2 Slims - One Accepts Swap Magic, one doesnt... All Detail inside 1 1. May 2014 PS2 - DVD backup discussion
How to burn PS2 games with Free McBoot 2 20. April 2014 PS2 - Software boot discussion
PS2 Hard Drive Loader 1 1. April 2014 PS2 - General discussion
Convert from PS2 to TV format? 1 4. March 2014 Convert video to another format
PS2 AR Max Hardware problem 4 21. January 2014 PS2 - General discussion

afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - hardware boot discussion > how do i softmod my fat ps2 without having to buy anything?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork