User User name Password  

Monday 16.9.2024 / 15:37
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - hardware boot discussion > ps2 mod-chip problems ( possibly ghost 2 )
Show topics

Forums
Forums
PS2 mod-chip problems ( possibly Ghost 2 )
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Vaderise2
_
20. October 2010 @ 07:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I think i posted this in the wrong section originally

Hey guys.
I'm a 30-something guy from the UK, and bought a chipped PS2 a number of years ago. I couldn't get it to play burned disks, so i boxed it and forgot about it. Now, i've come across this site, and thought maybe i could blow the dust from the console and give it another attempt ( with a little help )

firstly, i'm unsure what the actual chip is as it has been fitted quite well and glued to the m-board. the solder all looks good.
The topside of the chip reads:
Actel
ProASIC Plus
APA075 - F
TQ100 0603

I've googled this and get a few different results. Matrix Infinity? DMS4?

Anyway, when i insert an original game the PS2 boots and plays fine.
Any CDR or DVDR and the 'please insert a PS1 or PS2 disk' screen comes up.

Searching this forum and other searches tell me the chip could possibly be in stealth mode, but i can't find any guide as to how to use the different chips, specifically to turn stealth mode off, or if i need to do some sort of button pressing combo to get a game to work. I'm guessing it's an older chip as i've had the console boxed for at least 18 months.

I've also read that it is possible to access the chip and see what's going on, but again i can't find how exactly, and i've also seen the firmware can be updated, but not how to do it. ( i'm probably looking in all the wrong places so please don't shoot me down )

Any help, signposts etc are very much appreciated.

Gaz

*Addition*
i found a couple of disks labelled 'ghost 2' in the box with the PS2. 1 says insert and follow instructions but when i do it just gives the same 'insert disk' screen. SO i'm gueesing the chip is a ghost 2 chip but i can't find any usage guides anywhere and the original ghost website i found has changed. Any help guys?
_
7. December 2010 @ 19:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ghost 2 does indeed uses the actel chip. Unfortunately I do not know much about them. This forum is one of the less active ones, especially since people have lost interest in the ps2. Stealth mode is not your problem however. Some modchips can also be disable but when turning off the ps2 and turning it back on will enable it again so this is probably not your issue either.
If you can confirm that you have a Ghost 2 mod, your chip firmware may of been erased to stock when it was shipped to you. (Blank = no illegal code = not technically illegal)
http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=ghost2.html
Download Firmware 2.22 RC4 and read the instruction and follow it. It may not be the newest firmware, you may want to check eurasia.nu to see if there is a newer one. but you dont have to as the main point here is to see if this is the problem first.

It may be the installation, and it also could be the disc you are using. Try a sony brand disc and do some 1:1 copy with imgburn.

Pictures of the chip/install would be helpful. set your camera to macro mode (the flower) if available (this takes good closeup pictures)
_
8. December 2010 @ 03:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You don't need a modchip anymore, just install free mcboot, esr patch your games, and play
http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/

Playstation 2-Free McBoot,HDloader 8.0c,Open PS2 Loader 0.7,80gb Maxtor HDD,SMS Media Player,PGen,SNES Station- Installed
GameCube-SDload,SD Card Adapter,BBA Adapter,2 Color Case,GnuboyGX,MPlayer- Installed
Related links
For more PS2 discussion, please visit our sister site, Blasteroids.com
Read our PS2 backup tutorial & information package

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
WATCH: DVD player used to hack PS2 3 16. July 2020 News comments
First PS2 games on PS4 available now including GTA, Twisted Metal 10 13. December 2015 News comments
Sony: PlayStation 4 very likely to surpass PS2 in profitability 19 10. June 2014 News comments
ps2 can display 3 1. June 2014 PS2 - General discussion
how to mod a ps2 1 16. May 2014 PS2 - General discussion
Two PS2 Slims - One Accepts Swap Magic, one doesnt... All Detail inside 1 1. May 2014 PS2 - DVD backup discussion
How to burn PS2 games with Free McBoot 2 20. April 2014 PS2 - Software boot discussion
PS2 Hard Drive Loader 1 1. April 2014 PS2 - General discussion
Convert from PS2 to TV format? 1 4. March 2014 Convert video to another format
PS2 AR Max Hardware problem 4 21. January 2014 PS2 - General discussion

afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - hardware boot discussion > ps2 mod-chip problems ( possibly ghost 2 )

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork